• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scarlett Feva Breakdown

KaseKlosed

5 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Nope.  Go search my posts.  Have never been on the Holyfield train.  And have been intrigued by Scarlett since we drafted him.

I like his running style.  And Holyfield isnt in the ballpark of  Scarlett. 

My apologies for my original post being a little rough.  But I have watched a ton of tape of Scarlett.  Is he the next Kamara?  No.  But he could be an adequate replacement if CMC went down.  It would have to be a Scarlett and Bonnafon combo.  But that’s the case with most elite RB’s.  You just aren’t going to replace them with one guy.  

Nice take.  I have yet to watch but think he shows promise.   By all accounts Friday was a stinker.  Good to see someone making the most of his opportunity.   Want to see more of this.  

31 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Nope.  Go search my posts.  Have never been on the Holyfield train.  And have been intrigued by Scarlett since we drafted him.

I like his running style.  And Holyfield isnt in the ballpark of  Scarlett. 

My apologies for my original post being a little rough.  But I have watched a ton of tape of Scarlett.  Is he the next Kamara?  No.  But he could be an adequate replacement if CMC went down.  It would have to be a Scarlett and Bonnafon combo.  But that’s the case with most elite RB’s.  You just aren’t going to replace them with one guy.  

No worries, man.  The Holyfield comment was about the general mood here after last week's performance, FWIW.  Scarlett may turn out to be a really good back up to CMC, but his skill set is very different and that's all I was pointing out.  In that regard if CMC does get hurt, the offense will have to adapt. 

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

He'll get his chance against top quality defenders and then we'll see what he's got.

he kind of just did. buffalo's D ain't no joke. and he did it with a crappy OL as well. the guy is going to be great having on the field with and spelling CMC. he's got a lethal punch, he's fast, it looks like he's got good vision, and he's got much better hands than advertised and has potential as a decent route runner. 

i'm on board having this guy on the team. gives us another good weapon on offense.

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

So here's my issue, the team was looking for a CMC clone and drafted a power RB.  Was he a reach based on what was left?  Scarlett has the power to move a pile, but if you look closely, he's very tight-hipped.  He may have made some second and third string Bills look average, but can he do that against a starting defense?  Instead of getting a CMC clone, we got a CAP clone.  Holyfield is in that same mold too.  The only RB that's even close to a CMC-type is Bonnofon and he's raw...a college QB and WR if memory serves me correctly. 

his run style, foot quickness, and speed, all look like cmc. probably needs work in route running but this dude is by no means a cap clone

12 hours ago, 45catfan said:

No worries, man.  The Holyfield comment was about the general mood here after last week's performance, FWIW.  Scarlett may turn out to be a really good back up to CMC, but his skill set is very different and that's all I was pointing out.  In that regard if CMC does get hurt, the offense will have to adapt. 

Love your honesty  however I have to disagree slightly. Scarletts feet resemble CMCs. Caps feet are slow and chunky. Scarlett is quick like CMC. Scarlett also has the power to move a pile something that CMC just does not have. Scarlett hands are decent not superior as CMCs. Scarlett has shown above avg vision and the ability to turn a corner and burst. Cap has no burst. 

To anyone thinking we are getting a CMC ''copy'' you need to temper that expectation, Scarlett if you went back when he was drafted and looked at some of his tape / highlights -- is a nice compliment to CMC that can do some of the things he can, run inside, run outside, and catch some out of the backfield. 

If someone was thinking we wanted the exact same skill set I think you're a littler off and Bonnafon would be a bit closer to what CMC is overall. I think we brought in Scarlett, and Holyfield as complimentary pieces, to CMC. 

Scarlett being the one of the two that has the most versatile game when compared to Holyfield. Schrlett ran faster than CMC at the combine (4.47 vs 4.48), but also benched 2x as much (21 vs 10 reps, while both weigh around 207 lbs) I think Scarlett is a guy with not only home run potential but as we see from the only pro tape we have, he's another guy can run run the same plays we call fro CMC in the run game, perhaps with a bit more physicality.

When you look at Holyfield his 4.78 40 time doesn't do him justice, I have seen two weeks in a row him turn the corner on NFL caliber defenders, when you watch him run he's a short strider, but he's quick, and has good burst / acceleration out of his cuts, he's also shown good hands as well. 

I am personally excited for both of the rookies, and would also like to see more of Bonnafon, and hopefully a different jersey number if he makes the final roster (39 gtg). As much as CAP is a veteran he's 29, I don't see the point in him holding a position when he's a career inactive player. I'd rather see one of these younger guys with untapped potential get an opportunity. In the end I think we keep 4 backs as we've done in the past - 3 on the roster and one to PS

CMC / Scarlett / Holyfield

Bonnafon to PS

However, knowing our staff I could see CAP holding a spot for *insert vet reasons

Scarlett really appears the strong inside runner this team hasn't had in quite some time. When nothing is there, move the pile a couple of yards in goal line or 3rd/4th and short situations. No hesitation, no feeling for a gap, just hit it and move the sticks. As of the last 7-8 years our QB has been the best short yardage back on the team. Granted, that QB is also one of the best in the NFL - we still haven't recently had a respectable alternative in those situations. 

20 hours ago, KaseKlosed said:

On the first run clip you show, the Right Guard (Taylor Hearn) does an awesome job of forcing the 3 Tech into traffic and leveraging him against the center to effectively seal him off. Was the only person to get any push whatsoever and ultimately was the reason there was any room for Scarlett to run. The play was supposed to go to the Right, Bills sent pressure to that side, setting the edge, forcing Scarlett back inside (FB led to the right to meet the extra rusher), RT then blocks the DE into the hole helping the guy beat the leverage held by the RT. 

Not very in sync blocking but Taylor Hearn deserves more looks if this type of block he had is seen on more plays. On your second play, Hearn did a good job recovering from being stood up. For a draw play, it isn't the worst situation to be in so long as the linebackers are being held in anticipation of play action, which they were. 

JS probably has the back-up role locked up. I really like Bonnafon and hope he finds a place on the team.

Something about JS that nobody really talks much about is his problems in college. He could’ve done what a lot of guys do in that situation but he took his punishment and stuck with the team. Says a lot about his character 

Archived