• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OnePantherPlace: The Game Notes

ellis

3 hours ago, ellis said:

Thank you. Just to be clear, this is my brother Ross providing the analysis. (Though we basically agree on most points)

I have a weekend piece coming up. Also have Ep4 of the OnePantherPodcast dropping on Monday. 

Props to him. I was reading it and was like, “Did I send a late night e-mail”....lol. I hope we are both wrong. There needs to be a serious  “accountability” conversation with the entire team and staff. 

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Paradis is concerning. Signing him was supposed to be basically getting an upgrade from an over the hill Ryan Kalil. So far, Paradis looks more like Amini playing center than he does even an over the hill R. Kalil.

Yep and we basically just replaced Clark with a guy that has never played LT before. Van Rotten is a below average starter and Turner has regressed. Our online is no better than last year

Some of this I agree with, some not so much.

Our offense has been anemic this preseason.  I hope we're hiding something.

On defense, I'm not sure it's as bad as we're making it out to be.

Consider that we went AWAY to Foxboro and held the defending champs to 10 points.  Right, right it wasn't 4 quarters of Brady.  I get it.  However, if Eric Reid hadn't lost his (*&$@ing mind on 3rd and 10, we get off the field on Brady's only TD drive.  Assume we get off the field.  Now we held the champs to 3 points at their place.  I don't care if it's preseason.  That's a good defensive effort.  You don't score points for your yards gained.  You score points by scoring points, and our defense isn't allowing many.  In fact, our DEFENSE hasn't allowed more than 20 points yet, as the Bills scored 7 on a pick 6.

5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Some of this I agree with, some not so much.

Our offense has been anemic this preseason.  I hope we're hiding something.

On defense, I'm not sure it's as bad as we're making it out to be.

Consider that we went AWAY to Foxboro and held the defending champs to 10 points.  Right, right it wasn't 4 quarters of Brady.  I get it.  However, if Eric Reid hadn't lost his (*&$@ing mind on 3rd and 10, we get off the field on Brady's only TD drive.  Assume we get off the field.  Now we held the champs to 3 points at their place.  I don't care if it's preseason.  That's a good defensive effort.  You don't score points for your yards gained.  You score points by scoring points, and our defense isn't allowing many.  In fact, our DEFENSE hasn't allowed more than 20 points yet, as the Bills scored 7 on a pick 6.

And I can respect that take. 

Still, not a fan of 59 getting swallowed up and how 93 and 99 become a tad neutralized in a 3-4. 

I do like the corners, they played excellent last night. 

Defense did allow 27 points at home to Buffalo. But your point is well taken, there are greater concerns. 

7 hours ago, ellis said:

Jerry Hughes ripped a hole into Carolina’s offensive line in Spartanburg: two straight days of practices, and the o-line was absolutely overwhelmed by McDermott’s defense. Sometimes, your talent level is just not good enough. I can put some of that on coaching, sure. Everybody had a hand in it. 

Anyway, from that moment, I’ve been very skeptical about this team’s ability to move the ball. We chronicled that quite frequently during camp. Team look like world-beaters in light padded drills. Once they got punched in the mouth, not so much.

Might help if Moton went LT

Williams went to RT,

And if Paradis isn’t ready to play  put last years backup center, Larsen.  out therefor a game or two

at least that is closer to previous 

the poo show out there right now isn’t working 

what can it hurt but knowing Rivera, this will go on until this team is 0 and 5 and season is lost 

24 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Might help if Moton went LT

Williams went to RT,

And if Paradis isn’t ready to play  put last years backup center, Larsen.  out therefor a game or two

at least that is closer to previous 

the poo show out there right now isn’t working 

what can it hurt but knowing Rivera, this will go on until this team is 0 and 5 and season is lost 

Moton at LT and Williams at RT and Cody Ford at LG sounds pretty damn good right now. 

How to fix? IMO RUN. Run and run more. The best set of guys/ combination for that purpose. Those are your starters. Run Cam, let him BE Cam. Stop trying to change him. Chud exploited Cams strengths, Cam would love that. Run Cam set him free. Fake who's running, Cam or CMC. Getting the run game going early is this teams ONLY hope to get to 13-3. The over the top stuff will come if they have to respect the ground game and letting Cam be the hammer protects him. ALL guys blocking for their QB. Cam as the agressor not the nail. He is who he is. His game is so unique. Just because you've got CMC doesn't mean that you should demand that Cam be a sitting target most of the game getting clocked. QB 1 actually has a great field awareness and gets down quick. Tom Brady was running, why do we hold Cam back. Who are you protecting? DB's?  People don't think so but he's safer in designed runs and happens to play better in the passing game after doing so.

The Bear!

12 hours ago, ellis said:

The offensive line has to come together. I’m a bit surprised at the lack of cohesiveness so far. 

Cam just can’t hold the ball like that. There was actually fairly good protection on the play he got hurt.

Breaks down at the end, but that’s not uncommon when there’s six men on the rush. There needs to be a hot route or some sort of alternative option at play here.  

Otherwise, take a sack. Gently. Just lay down and take it. His instinct is to make big plays, and with that, comes this.

517CABD5-1739-4864-B737-6A84071C7C2D.gif

....what was Turner doing?

16 hours ago, Toomers said:

There needs to be a serious  “accountability” conversation with the entire team and staff. 

In the All or Nothing show, TD gets up and talks about accountability with the players. This really goes back to at least last year. 

So here are my thoughts about questioning the 3/4 in the article.  Does he make some good points. Yes.  But I am still on board with the transition to a 3-4.  

First to the point of KK and McCoy relegated to space eaters.  This isn’t gonna be the ole 2 gap scheme.  They will be penetrators. On some plays will they eat space.  Sure.  But they do in a 4-3 also.  

He also mentioned that Luke will be crashing into fullbacks and lineman on several plays.  This is a tough one.  To me this is the tough choice of having your MLB run free or do you want a pass rush. What I mean by that is that in the 4-3 we tried to replace our traditional DE’s for years with no luck.  And we wouldn’t have selected Burns for a 4-3 defense.  Going to a 3-4 will allow us to get parts for the defense in the later rounds instead of having to be in the top 10 in the draft.  

And heck.  Ray Lewis was still productive in a 3-4 D. I see no reason Luke can’t still be productive.  

Archived