• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera Appreciation

KaseKlosed

11 hours ago, KaseKlosed said:

Ron Rivera a victory away from being winningest coach in Panthers history.

Rivera 73-58-1
Fox 73-71
Capers 30-34
Seifert 16-32

Ron I appreciate you for your hours of hardwork. 

I appreciate you for bringing the bite back to our defense.

I appreciate you for believing in Cam and Kyle Allen.

I appreciate you for allowing Joey Slye to be the kicker. 

I appreciate you for Drafting Burns and Greg Little because you kept beating the drum of having more speed on defense and protecting the QB!!

Ron I appreciate you for walking out on David Newton or Pesrson... doesn't mattet they are both irrelevant 

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Slye would’ve been cut if Gano wasnt hurt

21 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm pretty sure the exact same sentiment was thrown out there when we let go of John Fox. And Fox actually  did get another job fairly quick, but he didn't win a championship there either (or on the next one).

The whole "he'll get another job in a hot minute" argument is never a good enough reason to hold on to a guy if you don't think he's going to get you where you want to go. Teams aren't looking to have a guy with a great regular season record. They want championships. If you can't win one, they'll find somebody else who can.

There are a lot of jobs where is you can sustain a long, happy career in the same spot just by being good enough even if you're never great.

NFL head coach isn't one of them.

Fair point but in my mind, the Fox departure was much different and the team wasn't competitive when he left.  Carolina's issues have been the health of the QB.  

All I'm saying is the grass isn't always greener and it is very very hard to find head coaches in the NFL and most teams go through several candidates before they get it right.  This process is painful and I'm experiencing it as we speak with my college team and it isn't pretty.  

Some folks hate Cam. Some folks hate Ron. And you'll never be able to convince either group that they are wrong, no matter the stats, the game tape or the rhetoric. 

You've just got to let those folks sit there and drink down their own self-made poison each week. It's just what they do. They cheer when their villain loses and boo when the team wins. You can't beat them, you can't change them, you can either argue with them or ignore them. They  want the argument.

Here's the deal: Ron's a helluva a coach in this league of rapid turnover and an evolving game. He wins more than he loses, he has made it to the Superb Owl as a HC, he led a 15-1 season and has kept his team competitive in some seasons when there just wasn't a chance. He has also had down years due to assistants turnover, team injuries, tough schedules, team fatigue and loss of some key players. He's also been beaten soundly at times, but has also been one of the only coaches to regularly beat the snot out of Bill Belichick in regular season play. 

He's a good man, he's a good coach. 

23 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Does the fact that Ron is 5-2 in career games without Cam do anything to dispel this talking point that “Cam made Ron” and “Ron owes his entire Career to Cam”? It’s too small a sample size to draw any definitive conclusions, but the limited empirical evidence suggests that’s pretty baseless. Not sure how you can reasonably distinguish their successes/failures when they’ve been a tandem for their entire careers.

2 wins against a Bucs team that finished with the worst record in the league

1 win against a Saints team that wasnt trying to win

1 win against the team with a rookie QB and coach that finished the year before with the worst record in the league

1 good win on the road against a good Houston team - lot of credit for that one

cant draw any conclusions with this. a monkey could win at minimum 3 of those games

I think the thing that gets most people with Ron is he can be ridiculously stubborn and it can and does hurt the team at times. It's because of this I see him as little more than an average to slightly above average coach. If he could get past his blind loyalties to guys that aren't that good, coaches and players, and actually adapt to the situations as they come, I'd rank him much higher.

Hearing the Broncos defense after SB50 laughing because we trotted out the exact same playbook we had used all season, and making zero adjustments at halftime still really bothers me. Sometimes the things he does makes him look like a rookie HC, not one who's been in the league for 9 years.

That said, as a defensive guy he is top notch when he is involved and he is a players coach. That's not always an easy thing to get from your HC.

3 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

2 wins against a Bucs team that finished with the worst record in the league

1 win against a Saints team that wasnt trying to win

1 win against the team with a rookie QB and coach that finished the year before with the worst record in the league

1 good win on the road against a good Houston team - lot of credit for that one

cant draw any conclusions with this. a monkey could win at minimum 3 of those games

Wins are wins, dude...I’m sure I could easily attach some shaky qualifiers to 90% of his losses to justify them in the same vein as you have in discrediting his wins.

Bottom line: if you say “Cam made Rivera” and the limited empirical evidence in no way supports that claim (quite the opposite, if anything)...then it’s based on what...feelings? Speculation on hypotheticals?

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Wins are wins, dude...I’m sure I could easily attach some shaky qualifiers to 90% of his losses to justify them in the same vein as you have in discrediting his wins.

Bottom line: if you say “Cam made Rivera” and the limited empirical evidence in no way supports that claim (quite the opposite, if anything)...then it’s based on what...feelings? Speculation on hypotheticals?

how many times have the Panthers had a huge lead in the second half, only for Rivera to take the air out of the ball on offense, go into a prevent on defense until the score gets tied and Cam has to lead a game winning drive?

On 10/2/2019 at 10:38 AM, KaseKlosed said:

Ron Rivera a victory away from being winningest coach in Panthers history.

Rivera 73-58-1
Fox 73-71
Capers 30-34
Seifert 16-32

Ron I appreciate you for your hours of blank stares. 

I appreciate you for being forced to demote your homeboy.

I appreciate you for not sitting Cam when he’s clearly injured when you know he won’t sit himself.

I appreciate you for being forced into allowing Joey Slye to be the kicker and licking out of another Butker situation only because Gano got injured.

I appreciate Marty for Drafting Burns and Greg Little because you kept beating the drum of having more speed on defense and you got Cam hurt!!

Ron I appreciate you for walking out on David Newton or Pesrson... doesn't mattet they are both irrelevant 

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Fify

Archived