• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2019 Draft Looking Solid!

ForJimmy

Did the 2014 draft ever look "amazing"? We got almost next to nothing from our 2nd round pick for his entire career save for the super bowl. It was and still is a fine draft but to pretend like it was hailed as some unbelievable draft seems a bit disingenuous. Ultimately we got a decent starting receiver who's career got derailed after an injury (so I think in fairness it was a good pick that ran into bad luck), an excellent pick in the 3rd round and a couple backups in the secondary in later rounds that became liabilities when thrust in the starting line up. If that reminds you of this draft, I don't know what to tell you. I ultimately agree the extent to how great this draft is will be decided in a few years but it's more likely that players will only get better with time rather than regress, so chances are even better that the draft will be looked at even more favorably in the future. The exception is typically when players have bad injuries, which you can't really blame on the gm unless they had injury red flags in college.

Still way to early 

Just remember 

This was the 2014 redraft by everyone after their rookie season

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/20/2014-nfl-draft-redo-derek-carr-odell-beckham-jr-jadeveon-clowney

18. New York Jets

(Original pick: Louisville FS Calvin Pryor)
Re-do pick: Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin

When Benjamin came out of Florida State, the concern was that his route awareness was basic at best because he had played in a very simplistic passing offense. He thrived nonetheless for the Panthers, and he would have done the same for the Jets. Even in a limited NFL offense, Benjamin has the combination of size, speed and cut ability to set himself apart. The Jets could certainly use that.

19. Miami Dolphins

(Original pick: Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James)
Re-do pick: South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney

James fell apart after a dynamic preseason, allowing more total pressures (58) than any other tackle in the NFL. The Dolphins would have to wait on Clowney given his injury status, but given that Miami's defensive line fell apart in the second half of the season, having Clowney around in 2015 might be a balm.

21. Green Bay Packers

(Original pick: Alabama FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix)
Re-do pick: San Jose State CB Bené Benwikere

When he was given a chance to start in the second half of Carolina's season, Benwikere impressed, allowing a rookie-low 72.9 opposing quarterback rating and no touchdowns in 459 regular-season snaps. He was less impressive in Carolina's playoff loss to Seattle, but this fifth-rounder should have been selected a lot earlier in the draft, and given Green Bay's issues in the secondary, he could have been as impactful as Clinton-Dix turned out to be.

25. San Diego Chargers

(Original pick: TCU CB Jason Verrett)
Re-do pick: Missouri DE Kony Ealy

While San Diego's secondary was an obvious position of need coming into the 2014 draft, Ealy turned out to be a valuable chip at both end and tackle in his rookie campaign for Carolina, and he would have done the same for the Chargers.

26. Philadelphia Eagles

(Original pick: Louisville DE Marcus Smith)
Re-do pick: North Carolina SS Tre Boston

Well, this was unfortunate. The Eagles took Smith in the first round, and Billy Davis, the team's defensive coordinator, admitted late in the season that he wasn't sure what Smith's ideal position would be. Smith played 74 snaps in 2014. Meanwhile, Boston would have been a huge addition to an Eagles' safety rotation in need of help -- he lasted until the fourth round, but really made an impact as the season went on and he started more games for Carolina.

Lets wait a few seasons before we really judge how good a group this is.  They are impressive, but lets not forget that several in the past have to and

On 10/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, bull123 said:

still dont know why we cut godwin

22 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

It looks like a strong group and a lot of credit should go to our scouting department and Hurney. On the Godwin note: we aren't privy to things like how well he was learning the playbook and if he was listening to his position coaches well. There's a lot of the evaluation process that outsiders will never understand.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This. If Mangertz deserved a roster spot so does Godwin. 

We had Godwin for 4 months, more than enough to truly see if he has enough to contribute and improve the team. The fact that we grabbed McCloud and Zylstra shows we thought there was opportunity to improve. We moved again and could have grabbed Godwin off the Jags PS IF we wanted. We raided teh Jets in stead. Still don't want him.

Don’t just look at the draft, look at the signings Hurney made and who he let walk. 

Hurney 1.0 was notorious for giving out terrible contracts and he put this team in a terrible spot for years. Having Tepper around has had a huge impact not only on him but Ron as well.

Hurney was a good GM from 2002-2008. I'm not surprised that Hurney is doing well in his second stint as a GM. The lack of a franchise QB and giving huge contracts to what we thought was our core was what killed Hurney 1.0. I believe Hurney 2.0 is better at analyzing who to keep and who to let go (Norwell, Anderson, Davis, Star, Funchess, etc.).

I’m liking Tepper, Hurney 2.0 and even Norv, but I’m still not a Rivera fan as head coach. He is a great defensive coordinator and the players seem to like him, I just don’t see him “outcoaching”  other teams and he is too conservative. I don’t see too many adjustments made by him during the game either...

On 10/19/2019 at 9:44 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Correct.

The time to revisit the 2019 draft isn't 2019.

Agree with this but props to OP for providing an alternative topic.  At least from an immediate snapshot Hurney seems to have done ok out of the gate.  

I’ll also say if your 6th rounder starts a game as a rook and performs decently it does say something for scouting these guys.  

if Daley turns out to be a 2nd string guy that we plug in here or there it is still a very good find.  I get excited when a couple guys from rounds 3-7 make waves with the team.  If those guys become solid you are really building from within and manufacturing your roster.  

Archived