• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen media boost has changed....

KaseKlosed

11 minutes ago, mjligon said:

How is it the same point? If we want Cam’s stats to “matter” we need to also consider throwing in his rushing statistics, 1st down conversion percentage, etc.

Does that paint a better picture for you?

what's the point.  he's out for the regular season at least

8 hours ago, rodeo said:

why the fug would you expect a thing like that after the past 8 years of how they've supported their qb?

did i take crazy pills, why do people keep saying this thing over and over like they're just completely unaware of how we literally had to put a word filter on this board to get people to stop saying "scam newton"

So what has Kyle done to polarize the fan base like Cam did. Cam was always a guy by his actions and words which invited people to love or hate him. What has Kyle said or done in that vein to bring about the same level of polarization.  Or are you suggesting that Cam fans are mad that their guy got dumped on so now they are dumping on his replacement for the year. Not sure how one is related to the other 

2 hours ago, mjligon said:

A post like this is severely undermining what healthy Cam Newton brought to this offense.

Those stats never matter because he was also our workhorse running back and scoring at will on the ground in the red zone.

No it doesn't.  I love Cam.  I simply don't see the need to attack Kyle Allen and bash him for whatever reason you want to claim.   Cam doesn't need whatever aid you think you are providing him. 

8 hours ago, KaseKlosed said:

Career win percentage:

Cam Newton .549
Joe Namath .496
Phillip Rivers .562
Kurt Warner .578
Drew Brees .590
Troy Aikman .570
Frank Tarkenton .532
Warren Moon .502

How many of them were drafted by a 1-15 team? Does context matter to you in the slightest?

We had a poo ton of good talent compared to your standard 0-16 or 1-15 team.  The combo of Clausen and lameduck Fox just imploded the season.  

We didn't have a legit 1-15 roster.  Which is why we were in the postseason two years before and after that 1-15 season.  

How many #1 overall QBs walk into an offense with multiple pro bowlers on the OL, in the backfield and at WR. 

11 hours ago, rico6 said:

If Kyle gets us to the playoffs he’s gonna be expensive 

Not next year. 

I'm not sure if KA gets an accured season for 2018, but even if he does, he would only have two after this season and still be an  ERFA (Exclusive Rights Free Agent). 

Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract and the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

The league minimum for 2 accured seasons is $645,000. So as long as the Panthers offer him at leas a one year, $645k contract, he can't negotiate with anyone else.

If Allen hits the playoffs, the Panthers may offer him a low cost ( but more than his base ) extension to lock him down cheap for a few more years. That depends how sold they are on him.

That said, Allen will need to hold out to get a huge pay day next year, and given he only will have 1 accrued season... it would be a surprise. 

16 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

If Allen hits the playoffs, the Panthers may offer him a low cost ( but more than his base ) extension to lock him down cheap for a few more years. That depends how sold they are on him.

That said, Allen will need to hold out to get a huge pay day next year, and given he only will have 1 accrued season... it would be a surprise. 

If we make the playoffs with Allen, I'm gonna think we give him something like a 3 year, $5m contract. If we win a playoff game this year? Take it to $5.5m. Super Bowl win? 3 year, $8.5m (assuming his typical production in games, you'd have to think a SB win is more CMC/defense focused). I think that is about as fair as you can be.

If no playoffs, I think Allen gets extended at the end of his contract because next season COULD be interesting. If Cam doesn't retire or get traded, then I think you play Cam next season and see what he's got. If he doesn't play well/gets hurt again, Allen takes back over and he gets to prove his worth. To lock up Allen for at least 3 years at ~$1m/year is not bad for a backup, but if he proves to be a stop gap QB that can manage games and help the offense operate smoothly, that has to creep more toward $3-4m/year for a few years. If he performs well in that time, then you decide to either move on in favor of a franchise QB option and trade him or keep him and extend a 27 year old Kyle Allen for a 5-7 year deal worth starting QB money ($8-20m/year, roughly. Depending on performance, obviously).

40 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The most important stats are wins. Kyle Allen is 5-1. Who cares how at this point, football is a team sport.

That doesn't seem to be the argument. 

The argument seems to be about wither QB A or QB B gives the team the best chance to win games in a variety of scenarios. This debate in particular seems he about when the QB has to put the team on his back and lead them to glory. 

I think every postseason we have a team that washes out because their QB never moves beyond game manager when they need it. 

Recently, Chicago and Jacksonville come to mind. 

3 hours ago, Call Me James said:

That doesn't seem to be the argument. 

The argument seems to be about wither QB A or QB B gives the team the best chance to win games in a variety of scenarios. This debate in particular seems he about when the QB has to put the team on his back and lead them to glory. 

I think every postseason we have a team that washes out because their QB never moves beyond game manager when they need it. 

Recently, Chicago and Jacksonville come to mind. 

We lost to the SB to Manning playing the game manager role.

Archived