• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Cap Moving Forward & Free Agent Priorities....

SetfreexX

3 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Even with the dead cap space from Kuechly's retirement, we have just over 30M available in cap space - with some opportunities to create more via cuts, adding a year to a current deal, restructure, etc. (Of which Matt Kalil accounts for almost half 9.8M thanks DG)

Hahah yea...a cheap, tough negotiator with no cap Gettle is why we signed Kalil, an absolute anomaly sticking out like a sore thumb compared to everything he did here...

had nothing to do with a fan favorite and meddling business minded owner

the huddle to so gullible it kills me 

15 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Littleton accounted for 3M in 2019, he's 26 years old

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2978304/cory-littleton

I'd say on the market he's probably eyeing the 7M+ range per year -- I don't think that's a move we pull the trigger on with the opportunity to draft a guy like Simmons.

I think it would make more since to sign a quality FA at ILB as insurance for the draft, unless you're comfortable with either,

• Jermaine Carter Jr.
  • Andre Smith  

Both guys going into their 3rd years, and much more cap friendly (this may be a see what we have season for one of them, Smith had early draft pedigree pre-collegiate injury)

Then if Simmons is the pick you don't have a chunk of cap tied up in the ILB position, and can move on / extend as needed. 

I just think its smarter and cheaper to sign a stud linebacker than to pay a DT. Especially when we can draft one in Brown in the first. Much cheaper than signing a star DT

4 hours ago, Thunderbird037 said:

Davis saves us exactly $3m, and Gano saves $1.46m with $3m dead. Primary reason to cut Gano would be to keep a different kicker on the roster, not necessarily for cap room.

No-brainers then, Graham might actually have so trade value. Not a lot of good experienced kickers out there. 

The main thing we need to do in FA this year is nothing stupid. 

We are starting a rebuild, so no big signings with delusions of grandeur unless they are about as young as possible to enter the FA market.  We are NOT three, six, or ten players away from being a championship contender right now.

Don't restructure anybody, take whatever hits we need to take this year and get it over with.

I don't know if Hurney is capable of that. 

26 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The main thing we need to do in FA this year is nothing stupid. 

We are starting a rebuild, so no big signings with delusions of grandeur unless they are about as young as possible to enter the FA market.  We are NOT three, six, or ten players away from being a championship contender right now.

Don't restructure anybody, take whatever hits we need to take this year and get it over with.

I don't know if Hurney is capable of that. 

You only sign enough bodies to field a team next season.  Build from the draft for the next 2 season and reevaluate.  Rinse and repeat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 5:52 PM, GoPanthers123 said:

I want to develop Burns/Miller, and let Irvin/McCoy go.  In free agency we should grab some DTs and secondary.

Agree. And I’d add retain Poe - he’s still got a little left in the tank and may cost more to cut him. Draft a DT (Kinlaw) and build depth via FA or the later rounds of the draft to stock the DL. 

I'd like to trade KK.  Not sure what we would get, maybe a 2nd?  But trade KK, trade down a few spots in the draft picking up an additional 2nd.  Use our 1st, and the now 3x 2nd round picks on DL/OL.  Thats gonna go a long way towards rebuilding this team.

Archived