• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potentially a bizarre scandal brewing in New Orleans

ellis

Unpopular opinion: anything the league does against them shouldn’t affect football. No suspensions or loss of draft pics. This is a non football scandal carried out by team executives. Any punishment should be reflective of that. If it turns out current ownership was involved and the league wants to force a sale of the team I’m fine with that, but players and coaches do not appear to have done anything wrong here.

38 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not sure if it’s a “cover up” per se. it sounds like they advised the church on HOW to release the names from a PR perspective. It’s still really gross to even be associated with monsters but I’m not sure if they actually did anything illegal unless I misread something.

The Saints are not being accused of doing anything illegal, but maybe unethical and immoral with advising the church.  The final decision to cover up belongs solely to the Catholic dioceses of NO. The Saints are not a part of the lawsuit against the archdioceses except that their emails are part of the evidence that the church worked to covered up the sexual abuse. It will be up to the judge whether or not the emails are released to the public and if there are any redactions to protect innocent 3rd parties.

43 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Unpopular opinion: anything the league does against them shouldn’t affect football. No suspensions or loss of draft pics. This is a non football scandal carried out by team executives. Any punishment should be reflective of that. If it turns out current ownership was involved and the league wants to force a sale of the team I’m fine with that, but players and coaches do not appear to have done anything wrong here.

What do you mean?  They should be required to sell the team.  The team should then be relocated someplace at least 1500 miles away so the fans suffer.  Oakland is now available.  St. Louis is, but fails the 1500 mile test.  Then the ownership, executives, management, administrative staff, trainers, and star players should be hung publicly, the bodies then burned at the stake, and the ashes collected, given to NASA or SpaceX and blasted into space.  That ought to about do it.

Seriously, though, I agree.  Whoever is involved should bear the brunt.  Those not involved should be not involved.

I'm not sure it is not illegal.  While their direct acts were not illegal, they did know those acts were to help cover up the crime.  That could be seen as furtherance of the criminal conspiracy.  That is for the authorities to decide.

I said this on another thread, but the corruption in that region is perhaps worse than anywhere outside of Chicago.  The difference is Chicago is open about it.  Old-guard institutions and names are simply above the law or any responsibility.  It is like quid pro quo without any regard or judgment of the actions being buried, ignored, or justified.  There is some of that everywhere, but down in that region, it is rampant.

53 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

To be fair, Jerry Richardson didn't necessarily do anything that affected football either.

An owner selling the team isn't necessarily punitive to the coaches and players (sure as heck wasn't with us).

While there is current litigation relative to the New Orleans Archdiocese and clergy sex abuse, our comments are limited only to the scope of our involvement. The New Orleans Saints organization has always had a very strong relationship with the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese reached out to a number of community and civic minded leaders seeking counsel on handling the pending media attention that would come with the release of the clergy names in November of 2018. Greg Bensel, Senior Vice President of Communications for the New Orleans Saints, was contacted and offered input on how to work with the media. The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing. "Further, the Saints have no interest in concealing information from the press or public. At the current discovery stage in the case of Doe v. Archdiocese, the Saints, through their counsel, have merely requested the court to apply the normal rules of civil discovery to the documents that the Saints produced and delivered to Mr. Doe's counsel. Until the documents are admitted into evidence at a public trial or hearing in the context of relevant testimony by persons having knowledge of the documents and the events to which they pertain, the use of the documents should be limited to the parties to the case and their attorneys. If admitted into evidence of the case, the documents and the testimony pertaining to them will become part of the public record of the trial of the case."

https://www.nola.com/news/article_b2a7db30-3ed3-11ea-a5bc-b3d258823285.html

Archived