• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Expansion into Toronto...?

jbland

There is no reason to think this will happen anytime soon.  But if relocation is more likely than expansion this could be teppers negotiating tool to get a new stadium in the next decade. 

The last sentence is particularly interesting. 

https://apple.news/ANl_kowpbSvi7LsN-Lgro9g

“I don’t think anyone questions the size of the Toronto market or the potential of the market. It’s a great market and a great sports city — a great sports city.”

Asked to clarify that expansion would be a consideration, Blank said yes.“

”Toronto is certainly a substantial market, with 6 million people in the metropolitan area, making it the largest city in the U.S. or Canada without a team. So if nothing else, the NFL shaking the tree for a new stadium would at least create some leverage for them, when owners push for stadium deals in their own markets.”

I travel to Toronto almost every week for work.  Coming through Buffalo on a Sunday night trying to cross into Canada after a game is a nightmare.  Toronto is definitely Bills country but I definitely think they'd go crazy for their own team if they had one.  And believe it or not, I've ran into quite a few Panther fans in Toronto too.

When we first got rid of JR there was a thread stating that there was 0.0% chance of the panthers ever moving and everyone who stated different was a troll. Now that we have an owner who wants a new stadium people realize it isn't impossible. Very unlikely but not impossible. Teams moving are almost always about land or stadiums.

Anyway there is nothing special about Toronto. There are a dozen cities who might jum on the chance to snag a team. Plus Toronto has tax issues and proximity to Buffalo.

1 minute ago, Happy Panther said:

When we first got rid of JR there was a thread stating that there was 0.0% chance of the panthers ever moving and everyone who stated different was a troll. Now that we have an owner who wants a new stadium people realize it isn't impossible. Very unlikely but not impossible. Teams moving are almost always about land or stadiums.

Anyway there is nothing special about Toronto. There are a dozen cities who might jum on the chance to snag a team. Plus Tronto has taz issues and proximity to Buffalo.

The whole proximity thing is just dumb, I’m sorry. Cleveland is 10 minutes less to Pittsburgh. Baltimore is another 10 minutes less to Philly. Multiple cities have multiple teams. Not to mention it’s another COUNTRY. A team a whole country can route for. 

Panthers moving there? Nah. Tepper is selling his entire fortune on Charlotte and they will give him a new stadium(s) in 5 years or so. For a new NFL team ya. The issue is that the NFL would have to have at least 2 teams coming in at this point. 

Archived