• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moving back to the 4-3

Snake

I know people around here have been acting like this is for certain without really looking at the personal we have currently so I would like to open a discussion about it and what it would take. 

As we sit right now this is who we have at DE in a 4-3 system. 

Stacy McGee

Efi Obada

This is who we have at DT in the 4-3 system. 

Dontari Poe

Kawann Short

This is our LBs in the 4-3 system. 

Carter

Thompson

Smith

With this group who do you add to have a better season than last? Burns, Haynes, and Miller will be only spot players in this system because they are all undersized and don't have the skill set for their hands to be in the dirt. 

I really don't know but if I had to guess we will run a hybrid system. It will take time to build all the pieces to be effective against the run and pass. Last year's vision was based on desperation to get to the QB and still produce at the cost of any hope of stoping the run. From the bits said it sounds like they want flexability. What that looks like will be unknown untill they put a squad on the filed. Maybe run a 4-3 until the pieces are in place. Still have no answer on the 4-3 strong side DE and haven't since Peppers retired. Burns might, hopefully, take over for Addison on the weakside.

Rhule and Snow both have the philosophy of maximizing your talent and putting guys in spots to succeed so the unit and therefore the team can achieve the best results.

We'll likely run a hybrid system and focus on flowing to the ball. That was our biggest issue last year against the run. LBs didn't get downhill and DL didn't swallow up blocks and hold their ground. They got washed out, which lead to guards and tackles getting second level.

Hopefully the new staff can breathe some life into the defense and hold guys feet to the fire instead of allowing inconsistency.

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

I know people around here have been acting like this is for certain without really looking at the personal we have currently so I would like to open a discussion about it and what it would take. 

As we sit right now this is who we have at DE in a 4-3 system. 

Stacy McGee <<<<< Is not a 4-3 DE, he's 6'3'' / 310 lbs, he'd either be a 3-4 DE, or DT in a 4-3

Efi Obada

This is who we have at DT in the 4-3 system. 

Dontari Poe

Kawann Short

This is our LBs in the 4-3 system. 

Carter

Thompson

Smith

With this group who do you add to have a better season than last? Burns, Haynes, and Miller will be only spot players in this system because they are all undersized and don't have the skill set for their hands to be in the dirt. 

Just FYI.

It makes way more sense to keep building around the 3-4, the drafts don't roll out the traditional 4-3 DE's near as much as they have the pass rushing OLB's available, however IDL are always a commodity because colleges still need big bodies inside to defend the run. 

I'm not sure there really is a base defense anymore and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. 

Right now, a 4-2-5 set up is such a common run (nickels are sooo important with so many teams using spread formations or backfield receivers) that I think you need to build your team in that direction. 

Snow said they were going to play multiple alignments. That’s about all he would go into, and I certainly appreciate that. I felt there was a little too much transparency last season about the scheme change. I honestly have no idea what to expect from Phil. I respect him as a coach. I am hopeful that he will work as a DC on this level. He has a mountain of experience in coaching, but none on the NFL level in terms of coordinating a unit. Al Holcomb will have a heavy hand in helping him with that. 

I can't really say I'd be all that busted up if we were to move on from Marquis Haynes. I'm starting to get a Damiere Byrd vibe with him,.

("No really, this is the year he's going to break out!")

Christian Miller hasn't exactly shown a lot yet either. He's yet to prove he can be an NFL player.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can't really say I'd be all that busted up if we were to move on from Marquis Haynes. I'm starting to get a Damiere Byrd vibe with him,.

("No really, this is the year he's going to break out!")

Christian Miller hasn't exactly shown a lot yet either. He's yet to prove he can be an NFL player.

Christian Miller? The rookie who played less than 25% of the snaps in the 7 games he was healthy, hasnt shown you enough to prove he is an NFL player? I thought he shined and showed some potential in that game against AZ.

You are normally not this quick to jump on a player. I'd say we give the kid another year or two to show what he has before just writing him off.

Archived