• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's really sick. I am not for government intervention into media, because it is rarely for good purposes but at some point there needs to be some amount of level headed oversight to police this garbage. And these local media super monopolies need to be abolished, as well.

But, none of that is going to happen and the damage is largely done. At this point, may as well just sit back and watch this place steadily come to pieces with a nice drink in hand. fug it.

Revoking the fairness doctrine is the reason for most of this..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

We need something like this again. 

Edited by Tbe
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Revoking the fairness doctrine is the reason for most of this..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

We need something like this again. 

And the FCC also rolled back rules making it more difficult to establish media monopolies in 2017. It also has attacked Net Neutrality in the past few years.

The attacks on the American viewer are just increasing and they pale in comparison to what the social media companies do.

We know the truth, however. Those are not battles that will be won by the populace.

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

True. I’ve unfriended everyone who talks politics so my FB feed is pretty tame these days. Twitter is just a digital mob. Full of bullies and people who just want to complain or think they have the world figured out.

There is something called social fixer that allows the user to filter out certain things on facebook.  I use it and filter everything with the words Trump/Biden/Flags/Clinton and several other words.  Even so, some things slip thru.  But it does help.  

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

And the FCC also rolled back rules making it more difficult to establish media monopolies in 2017. It also has attacked Net Neutrality in the past few years.

The attacks on the American viewer are just increasing and they pale in comparison to what the social media companies do.

We know the truth, however. Those are not battles that will be won by the populace.

the part that's hard for me to understand is i have some well meaning friends and they know what FB is.  they know its a data collection device also designed to alter brain chemistry, ends up making people depressed... and when i ask why they are still on it - the whataboutism starts.  well whatabout walmart?  are you still going to walmart?  and i start realizing that their identity is tied up in FB and asking them why felt like an attack on how they sustain their identity -  so it seems like its not only about a self image projected to the world, but an internal self image also. its really strange.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

17 minutes ago, raz said:

the part that's hard for me to understand is i have some well meaning friends and they know what FB is.  they know its a data collection device also designed to alter brain chemistry, ends up making people depressed... and when i ask why they are still on it - the whataboutism starts.  well whatabout walmart?  are you still going to walmart?  and i start realizing that their identity is tied up in FB and asking them why felt like an attack on how they sustain their identity -  so it seems like its not only about a self image projected to the world, but an internal self image also. its really strange.   

They refuse to admit that such a large part of who they are has become that online format. It is a little more understandable(albeit still unhealthy) in the Coronaverse but it isn't underatandable otherwise. You can't text people? You can't call? You can't meet them?

It's also a refusal to admit that they really are addicted to it.

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're literally trying to equate expertise and reliance on data to pure political pandering. This is some true lowest common denominator stuff.

I never said anything about political pandering, and I'm not rejecting expertise.  I am just offering an explanation as to why SOME people drag their feet when things move and change.  People presented the previous info as cold hard facts that could not be questioned, and anyone who wanted to talk about it needed to just STFU and quit being a science denier.  Then when we learn more and things are different, you want to throw your hands up and say "well we didn't know as much about it back then."  So why present it as cold hard facts that can't be questioned?  Science is about questioning things and being challenged.  It shouldn't be used as a hammer to beat over someone's head if they want to discuss something. 

9 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I never said anything about political pandering, and I'm not rejecting expertise.  I am just offering an explanation as to why SOME people drag their feet when things move and change.  People presented the previous info as cold hard facts that could not be questioned, and anyone who wanted to talk about it needed to just STFU and quit being a science denier.  Then when we learn more and things are different, you want to throw your hands up and say "well we didn't know as much about it back then."  So why present it as cold hard facts that can't be questioned?  Science is about questioning things and being challenged.  It shouldn't be used as a hammer to beat over someone's head if they want to discuss something. 

https://www.startalkradio.net/show/coronavirus-and-conspiracy-theories-with-michael-shermer/

• Pie 1

Just saw CBS this morning. Their resident medical expert was cautiously hopeful that a huge study in Brazil has resulted in a vaccine that is effective in producing antibodies. Now they are seeing if it creates immunity and for how long. Anyway he and others are optimistic we could have a vaccine sometime this fall.  Really hopeful news.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

They refuse to admit that such a large part of who they are has become that online format. It is a little more understandable(albeit still unhealthy) in the Coronaverse but it isn't underatandable otherwise. You can't text people? You can't call? You can't meet them?

It's also a refusal to admit that they really are addicted to it.

the whataboutism started so fast i felt like i was being bombarded with facebook talking points. it was a married couple and they started saying the exact same things immediately.  are there FB talking points?  it really seemed scripted

Edited by raz
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Just saw CBS this morning. Their resident medical expert was cautiously hopeful that a huge study in Brazil has resulted in a vaccine that is effective in producing antibodies. Now they are seeing if it creates immunity and for how long. Anyway he and others are optimistic we could have a vaccine sometime this fall.  Really hopeful news.

I trust Brazil about as much as I trust China or New York.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

if there is something called a vaccine by fall absolutely under no circumstances take it