• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New CBA passed

steven8989

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I also read somewhere that padded practices in training camp got drastically reduced.  If memory serves correctly, by nearly half.  So these guys will go into the season with only a dozen or so practices with pads on.  That actually sounds more dangerous.

Injuries will jump again. Just like it did after the last CBA, that also greatly reduced practices. 

I find it amazing that  nobody is acknowledging the direct correlation between reduced practices, and therefore, not in game shape = more injuries. 

With this now passed the Panthers could spread out the cap hit of either Luke or Turner over 2 years and and save amost 8 million against the cap for this year in Luke's case and about 7 million in Tre's case

I don't know if the new Cba changed it were you can't do that anymore because I am not reading the 150+ pages of that thing but I doubt they changed it. 

In regards to the 17 game schedule, will there be an additional bye week for teams?  Will the season start earlier, will the super bowl be later?

also, looks like only 1 team from each conference will get a 1st round playoff bye.  Sucks

The players got a fair number of concessions for that 17th game. Admittedly several of them, while meaningful to players, were things the owners couldn't care less about, like number of padded practices, elimination of marijuana suspensions and use of an independent arbitrator for suspension appeals. But it perhaps suggests that this was a good faith negotiation by the owners in not holding out these minor points as a negotiating tactic. 

The owners did give up some money but the majority of it is going to get redistributed to minimum salary players. Guess it makes sense why the biggest critics among players seem to be the ones making tens of millions of dollars per year. It's hard to feel too sympathetic for the players already making $20+ million cause they didn't get every last concession possible. Then again, the NFL owners get rich while the players put their bodies on the line, then have the audacity to ask the cities to pay for their stadiums while they make more money then they could ever fathom how to spend. So doesn't make sense to be on their side either. I think in the end it seems like a fair compromise and not worth going into a prolonged, bitter battle trying to get 1 or 2 extra concessions. 

The one part I find interesting is reportedly there will only be 10 international games at most per year. I assumed the 17th game for each team would be international so there's not a home/road discrepancy but that's impossible with only 10 games. Unclear who will get an extra home game vs away. I assume it will rotate yearly but it does add some inequity on a single year basis.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

As a fan I’m okay with an extra game. How is that going to play with the schedule? The 16 game schedule was perfect.

Nobody liked losing one of the eight home games to play in Europe or Mexico..  I think we should make one game the international game.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

As a fan I’m okay with an extra game. How is that going to play with the schedule? The 16 game schedule was perfect.

There are a few options. A neutral sit game has been thrown around. As others have said the international games would make up some of those. My idea was to give teams some regional games. Have the Panthers play in Charleston Or Richmond. Plenty of issues with that.

The other option is to have an extra home game every other year.

As for who we play we would just line up with another division like we do now.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Yeah I preferred not adding a 17th game but it’s just whatever, I’m fine with it. Like you said the schedule setup has been perfect with 16. What I’ve seen is that the 17th game will be another inter-conference game, so that could leave the other 16 games as the same formula as before and add another AFC team for us to play each year... not a terrible idea depending on how they make it work.

3 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

There are a few options. A neutral sit game has been thrown around. As others have said the international games would make up some of those. My idea was to give teams some regional games. Have the Panthers play in Charleston Or Richmond. Plenty of issues with that.

The other option is to have an extra home game every other year.

As for who we play we would just line up with another division like we do now.

I thought I read there was a cap on international games and they weren’t going to factor that into the 17th game? Maybe I’m wrong.

Best idea I’ve seen which makes sense is have the 17th game be an extra inter-conference game and each year they switch off which conference gets the home game. So all AFC teams have 9 home games one year and then all NFC teams have 9 home games the year after. That makes it fair since you’re not competing with the other conference for playoff spots and seeding.

Archived