• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sports Illustrated claims we have 48.1 million in dead money this season.

jasonluckydog

10 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

That's what happens in major rebuilds. What do you expect?

No. This is what happens when you hire Marty Hurney to help pick a GM and then Marty Hurney picks Marty Hurney; Marty Hurney then makes Marty Hurney the highest paid GM in the league because that's what Marty Hurney does.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Even with that dead money we will still have almost $90 mil in cap space in 2021. 

True. But, we can still say that contracts have been poorly judged by whomever was giving them out. Funny to think that last year was our all-in year considering how bad they were.

Can someone explain Luke's contract to me? I thought for some reason if a player retired on his own accord he would forfeit majority of that money. Since we didn't cut him, trade him, etc. and he decided to walk away on his own it seems odd we owe him so much

1 hour ago, Catsmiaow said:

True. But, we can still say that contracts have been poorly judged by whomever was giving them out. Funny to think that last year was our all-in year considering how bad they were.

Yeah, I think the injuries largely drove that. Let's say hypothetically Cam had remained healthy(INB4 naysayers interject) and we had also not had the terrible run of injuries. Do I think we would be as bad of a team? Absolutely not. The question is how good could we have been? I would say playoff caliber but probably not a serious contender. 

We'll never know and it is largely irrelevant but what happened, happened. 

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So many bad contracts.  Heck, you could argue that KK Short should be nervous, but I do not think he cares, as long as the check is rolling in.

You can say, "Well not all of these are Marty's deal" but many of them were extended via Marty H.  You see boys and girls, Marty creates cap space by extending his proven veterans.  They all like it because they get a few extra coins.  I also am a firm believer that Marty expects past performance to equal future returns.  That is not always the case.  Marty needs to realize that a 4-year contract given to a 30-year old RB is paying him more to decline (example).  While not the case as much now, it was his MO in the past.

Don’t worry, Marty’s using analytics now so everything’s gonna be alright 

This is really not the big deal many are making it out to be. 

Hasnt changed our course for free agency, 22 million of that is from Matt Kalil and Luke retiring. Hurney did not manipulate Kalils deal in any way that incurred more dead money. The Turner deal was in place before Hurney got here and that’s another 9.5million of it.

Bottom line is all of these players were dead weight and would have cost more to be on the roster without helping the future of the team.

Rebuilding year is the perfect time to dump all of your poo contracts and now next year we will have more double the cap space We’ve ever had.

Just now, panther4life said:

This is really not the big deal many are making it out to be. 

Hasnt changed our course for free agency, 22 million of that is from Matt Kalil and Luke retiring. Hurney did not manipulate Kalils deal in any way that incurred more dead money. The Turner deal was in place before Hurney got here and that’s another 9.5million of it.

Bottom line is all of these players were dead weight and would have cost more to be on the roster without helping the future of the team.

Rebuilding year is the perfect time to dump all of your poo contracts and now next year we will have more double the cap space We’ve ever had.

Hurney restructured Turner deal last year or it would have been an easy 3M to get out of. Also restructured Luke multiple times leading to that large number. How about Reid? Poe? Olsen? He made every one of those deals. With Gano and others to come. 

How many times does one guy have to destroy a team for him to take any blame for it?

2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Can someone explain Luke's contract to me? I thought for some reason if a player retired on his own accord he would forfeit majority of that money. Since we didn't cut him, trade him, etc. and he decided to walk away on his own it seems odd we owe him so much

They treat retirement like a trade.  The dead money that is associared with Luke is the gauranteed money that he has already recieved, its just spread out throught the contract.  

4 hours ago, Toomers said:

Hurney restructured Turner deal last year or it would have been an easy 3M to get out of. Also restructured Luke multiple times leading to that large number. How about Reid? Poe? Olsen? He made every one of those deals. With Gano and others to come. 

How many times does one guy have to destroy a team for him to take any blame for it?

Thank you, every single one of the players cut/traded/contract Marty Herniay had a role in making the biggest dead cap in NFL history. He restructured Luke and Turner multiple times. Youre not suppose to trade players that youd pushed their signing bonus hit to later years. A few of his contracts had a ""dummy" year to spread out cap space ie Poe, wright and Addison.  Just awful, awful, AWFUL!! If there was a way to get dead cap Marty did it, even cutting a recent 3rd. fire his ass like years ago. 

10 hours ago, jfra78 said:

So we should give large contracts to players who have proven nothing? I find this argument rediculous because no one knows whats going to happen in the future.  All you can do is base it on past performance and hope it can continue, its what every GM does.  

That's pretty much what happened with Teddy this year. The dude got paid $63 million and his best season he threw for a whopping 14 Tds in 16 games. Hell, he only avgd 150 yards passing/game he played in for the Aints last season. Ontop of all of that he still has yet to prove he can hold up for a full 16-17 game season. I think the FO expects all of those numbers to improve which is why it was such a big contract.

Archived