• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2003 Panthers vs 2015 Panthers

OneBadCat

12 minutes ago, cptx said:

i truly hated everything about how that game went down, except just the fact that they made it that far. just a train wreck from start to finish. I still haven't re-watched it.

That's the main reason why people would think the 2003 team was a better team. The SB ruined that season, but it doesn't mean they weren't our best team and fell on their face. We saw the team they could be in the NFC Championship game.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

It’s funny how people remember things. The 2013 team won 5 of 12 games by 4 or less. The 2015 team won 4 of 17 games by 4 or less.

The 2013 team had a better D but the offense was far worse. The points differential was +125 for 2013 (+192 for 2015) even though the 2013 team gave up 67 less points. The 2015 offense scored 134 more points, 8+ more per game.

We can stop dissing the 2015 team. It’s the best team we’ve had.

I’m not dissing the 2015 team at all, and why are we using a random number of 4 points or less? Forget the stats and think back on 2015. How many times did we have to get bailed out by Cam being Super Man, or relatively lucky late game heroics that generally even out over a season rather than happen all the time like they did in 2015? We almost lost to some horrible, horrible teams that year, including Saints with Luke McCown (5 point game that came down to a ridiculously athletic Norman pick in the end zone, not counted in your stats for some reason). That 2015 team was obviously amazing and all great teams have some degree of luck, but I think 2015 was more of a special thing we had going for a while, rather than being so talented or outcoaching teams left and right and being a really great team.

2013 we had close wins because that’s the type of game we played with our defense. Look at the Niners game for example (regular season, we got completely cheated in the playoffs). That Niners team under Harbaugh was great and we just punched them in the damn mouth and held them to nothing and there was never any doubt that we were going to win that game, and we won. We didn’t need to score a ton that year, just looking at raw numbers is silly. Also, took the division from the Saints who were amazing that year too. 2013 the D was an all time great defense and the offense was really pretty well rounded and put up point when needed. 

Looking at raw offense numbers is silly because in 2015 how much did our D just completely poo the bed only for us to have to try to put up 35+ points and be saved by Cam’s heroics? It was a lot. 2013 offense played ball control because the D was so damn good that we could. Also if you put 2015 Cam on that 2013 team we win the SB no doubt. Put 2013 Cam on that 2015 team and we’re probably 10-6 or 11-5 and don’t do much.

41 minutes ago, cptx said:

i truly hated everything about how that game went down, except just the fact that they made it that far. just a train wreck from start to finish. I still haven't re-watched it.

Me neither and I won’t until we win one. Even then may not watch it again. No reason to. Better to just pretend the Cardinals game was the SB.

The 2015 team was like Dallas 1995 or San Francisco 1994 or Rams 1999... the most dominant force in the league but ended up more like Green Bay against Denver 1997,...

Green Bay was clearly the better team,.. play that game 100 times and they win 99, but John Elway’s legend was just too strong,.. the NFL wanted it too much and the refs had a lot to do with what went down.

We also had a handicap in Ron Rivera being exposed as the defensive version of Kyle Shannahan,...

dominant until a 3rd quarter in a Super Bowl and adjustments are needed but can’t do it,..

we got Munsoned... as in Shannahan’d or in this case,.. Rivera’d

woody harrelson wtf GIF

Again though,.. 2015 was such a dominant team that if they play 2003 100 times under 2015 rules then they win 99 times.

the only way 2003 wins is if they play by 2003 rules... 10 yards to rough up receivers? No tuck rule?

Anyone honestly believe Funchess and the bunch get off the line of scrimmage while they are held and beat up under 2003 rules? Nope.

under 2015 rules STEVE and moose are unstoppable but so is Cam. Cam and stewart more than edge out Davis and Foster... and of course Luke Kuechly is hands down better than Dan Morgan.

the wild card is the defensive line— Mike Rucker, Chris Jenkins and Julius Peppers could give Cam a very bad day. 

Blindside would have to be a Ninja to stop that!

5 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Thought this might be a fun offseason thread. Two of the best teams in our history face off in a fantasy match. Who do you guys think takes this?

My breakdown:

1. The 2003 squad is a more well rounded team. Better safeties, WRs and defensive ends. I’d say Stephen Davis is a push with Stewart but a fresh Deshaun Foster with Nick Goings was a better stable. 

2. Offensive line goes to the 03 Panthers. Cam masked a lot of the flaws in our o line by the automatic third and short runs and his running threat in general.

3. The linebacker group is a push overall with a slight edge to 2015. But although Dan Morgan was like Keuchly it doesn’t compare in his ability to diagnose plays. I think Luke would figure Delhomme out in this game and make some huge plays.

4. Cornerbacks. I think Norman is obviously the best of the two squads. Paired with Tillman I think they have an edge with pre injury Bene Benwickere.

However in this match up I think Steve Smith would smoke Josh Norman. Muhammad vs Tillman would be a good match up. Likewise I think Ricky Manning would best Corey Brown. Terry Cousin and Reggie Howard weren’t world beaters. 

5. Rivera vs Fox 

When Fox first started here he did a hell of a job getting our guys to play disciplined. But he also became a candyass and a chicken of a coach at times. They are similar but I take Ron for the riverboat gambles that would keep his offense on the field.

6. The two big X factors for me would be Cam and Greg Olsen. Fox defenses always got destroyed by tight ends. If Cam can make a few deflating conversions on the 03 defense I think he has a shot at gassing them and finding Olsen and dare I say Ted Ginn for big scores. 

I’d go final. Cam game winner to Olsen. Rivera won’t play for field goals because Fox had prime John Kasay at the time. Luke picks off Delhomme on a last minute comeback drive after a scary completion to Smitty. 

2015 Panthers:27 

2003 Panthers 23

What say you?

Its documented that 03 team was straight robbed.

Honestly, the 2003 team had to fight and claw for every single victory they had. There was a lot of character and a lot of magic there. The 2015 team just clicked perfectly and ran roughshod all over their opponents, to the point where they started celebrating early and drinking their own Kool-Aid. 

In 2003, Carolina went into the Superb Owl and took on an incredibly tough, well-coached team and got down by a considerable margin and were completely handled in the first half. They came back out and made one helluva a game of it only to lose it in the last moments, having broken through one of the great defenses and against probably the GOAT of QBs in his best form. 

In 2015, Carolina went into the Superb Owl as the favorites and treated it like they had already won the game in the week leading up to it. On the field, they got out toughed, out coached and out gritted from the get go and never even looked like they had a chance. Denver's defense punished not just Cam but anyone who got the ball. And somehow, our vaunted defense couldn't stop a crippled Peyton Manning on his last ride. 

Yeah, in the end the 2015 Panthers would just tear into the 2003 Panthers for three quarters. The celebrating would commence, they'd get lax and lazy, Morgan would concuss Cam, Jake would start winging it wildly to Smitty and Moose would knock the holy hell out of a DB or two. Somehow 2003 would win by a field goal at the end.

It'd be a great game. A winning machine against the Bad News Bears. The annointed versus the forsaken. It'd be a helluva story.

Archived