• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Derrick Brown is not a sexy pick."

It seems like he’s more of a Star type than a prime KK or Donald/Cox type. Not a terrible thing but a little high to pick a DL who isn’t an elite pass rusher. Maybe he can develop there quicker than Star though. Imagine if Star was dominating in the run game AND picking up 6+ sacks consistently. I think Brown has that potential but has a ways to go to develop as a pass disrupter. Will help our atrocious run D immediately however.

If the plan is resign KK if he bounces back then I think this will solve a lot of problems across the d-line. We need a legitimately strong line that can hold its own and generate pressure without clever schemes and blitzing. Haven't had that since 2013.

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:

If the plan is resign KK if he bounces back then I think this will solve a lot of problems across the d-line. We need a legitimately strong line that can hold its own and generate pressure without clever schemes and blitzing. Haven't had that since 2013.

Exactly, this guy unlocks the d-line. That is value far beyond simply being a run stuffer. 

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

It seems like he’s more of a Star type than a prime KK or Donald/Cox type. Not a terrible thing but a little high to pick a DL who isn’t an elite pass rusher. Maybe he can develop there quicker than Star though. Imagine if Star was dominating in the run game AND picking up 6+ sacks consistently. I think Brown has that potential but has a ways to go to develop as a pass disrupter. Will help our atrocious run D immediately however.

He's relied on his pure strength and athleticism to dominate guy's 1-on-1 in college and I'm sure will have to improve his technique in some way in the NFL for his pass rushing. That being said, I think Star is the absolute worst case scenario Brown will be. Looking back at his film, there are just very few instances of him being blocked 1-on-1 and when it happened, it usually ended up badly for the opposing offense

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

So was so much more valuable to us than people realized. That being said, Brown is better than Star

2 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

He's relied on his pure strength and athleticism to dominate guy's 1-on-1 in college and I'm sure will have to improve his technique in some way in the NFL for his pass rushing. That being said, I think Star is the absolute worst case scenario Brown will be. Looking back at his film, there are just very few instances of him being blocked 1-on-1 and when it happened, it usually ended up badly for the opposing offense

Agree I think a similar impact to Star is the worst case scenario. That’s not terrible at all but would be tough for such a high pick. I actually thought Star was ultimately a slight disappointment compared to his pre draft potential — if not for the heart issue he’d have been top 5 and his NFL play has been less than one would hope from a top 5 caliber player

13 minutes ago, t96 said:

IDK man, to me he seems to be almost the exact opposite of Star.  Much more Aaron Donald than Star.

2 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

So was so much more valuable to us than people realized. That being said, Brown is better than Star

Losing Star was huge, yes, and we made a mistake trying to replace him with the likes of Butler, Poe, and even McCoy... But that type of DT is easier to find than a stud pass rushing DT like a Donald or Cox. If spending a top 7 pick on a DT it’s tough to justify the value there unless he can be a great pass rusher too. 

**I think Brown can be and am generally cool with the pick, but he does have a lot of work to do there before he can be an impact in the passing game.

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

IDK man, to me he seems to be almost the exact opposite of Star.  Much more Aaron Donald than Star.

As far as athleticism goes, Brown is the Berson to Donald’s Steve Smith.

Archived