• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kuechly officially joins staff as pro scout

Jesse

Not to be a downer, but before we hand him the GM job, let's remember a thing or two.

GMs negotiate contracts. Can you picture Luke doing that?

Kuechly doing anything related to personnel evaluation - heck, Kuechly being the top guy over all personnel evaluation - not hard to see. That puts him as something like a Vice President of Player Personnel.

But a full blown GM? Do we know if he'd even want a job like that?

Let's not put him in the captain's chair just yet.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other note...

Glad he didn't go into broadcasting. I just can't see that working.

Greg Olsen has the personality you need for a job like that. I just don't think Luke would have fit that role.

For casual fans no. Luke is knowledge, not personality.

For hardcore football fanatics? I’d personally love to hear his takes, but I’m not interested in personality.

Just think how many bozos broadcasting now that you wish even a smidgen of knowledge.

Corse there’s always the perfect ones with both, like Romo. But they’re rare.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There will be a few differences in what Kuechly will be looking for on film in his new gig. As a player, his studying mostly focused on trying to dissect an upcoming opponent's possible game plan.

"You were always looking at schemes and tendencies and where you think a team is going to attack you on the defensive side of the ball," Kuechly said.

And now …

"I think it'll be different in the sense that we're not necessarily looking for scheme as we are players," Kuechly continued. "Are the players good? What's their skillset? What are they good at? What are they not good at?

Luke is such a football genius I think he will do player eval and be able to add some scheme and tendencies...he can't help it. It is what he likes to do. He will be awesome.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not to be a downer, but before we hand him the GM job, let's remember a thing or two.

Kuechly doing anything related to personnel evaluation - heck, Kuechly being the top guy over all personnel evaluation - not hard to see. That puts him as something like a Vice President of Player Personnel.

Luke: Now Steve, you noticed I called you last night at 8:30 asking if you had heard from your agent. Here's a photo of him at 8:27 at a hotel bar negotiating closing a deal with one of the lovely ladies instead of worrying about your future and the 8 times you called him last night. Is that the kind of agent you want taking 15% of that 4yr/60m contract youre asking for? 

Steve: WTF. You're fired.

Luke: Now, how about we go with a 4yr/52m deal, add in a new SUV for the pregnant wife, I got a friend at your wife's OBGYN, and let's get this done and go win some Superb Owls.

Steve: former pro scout indeed

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Exactly. 

I can't even imagine the threads that would spring up calling him incompetent, stupid,  and all other things that get said by our fans about our Gm's after an off draft pick, or a losing season. It's hard to think people would say those things about 59, but we all know they would. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One other note...

Glad he didn't go into broadcasting. I just can't see that working.

Greg Olsen has the personality you need for a job like that. I just don't think Luke would have fit that role.

It was kind of like his security commercials.  Almost you could tell he was reading his lines.  He was a great player but would have been average announcer.

I definitely believe he would be an amazing GM once he learns the ropes on contract negotiations.  He may be able to see things in players that are major faults at the next level and not by into the hype that surrounds players coming into the draft.

It's all a bit early but I could see it happen.  John Lynch has done an amazing job in SF (at least to date) and Luke is taking his time which IMO will only make him better.

This is more of a question.  After the season, I would think he would be in the reviewing process of potential draft picks.  This is where I think he'll help the team improve each year.  Helping find those hidden gems and clearing through the smoke on some overrated players.  Do you agree?

Archived