• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who had the better season?: 2019 CMC vs 2005 Steve Smith

Car123

CMC by a mile

dude was literally surrounded by a poo team and 3 different QBs lol 

smitty got the benefit of a better surrounding cast 

cmc as force fed and so was 05 smitty, surprise, that’s how unstoppable weapons work

lastly CMC beat a record that was much harder to achieve

smitty had more flair and style so he will stick out  

7 hours ago, electro's horse said:

second leading receiver on the 2005 team was deshaun foster. there was no one else. 

2019 panthers were a wreck but there were still options on the outside. plus steve's season mattered. for the last eight games panthers were just juicing cmc's numbers so we'd all have a reason to watch.

the opposing defenses didn’t want to juice his numbers, I can assure you, that’s all that matters

Smitty was fed like hell in 2005 just as bad but by a much better qb not 3

I think it takes much more effort and talent to do what CMC did last year than people give credit, it takes otherworldly stamina and conditioning, far more than WR imo

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

CMC by a mile

dude was literally surrounded by a poo team and 3 different QBs lol 

smitty got the benefit of a better surrounding cast 

cmc as force fed and so was 05 smitty, surprise, that’s how unstoppable weapons work

lastly CMC beat a record that was much harder to achieve

smitty had more flair and style so he will stick out  

lmao imagine CMC with 89's attitude.

2005 Smith, easily.  I'm sorry, but a lot of what CMC did was gimme stuff.  I don't mean to take anything away from him because he was great, but teams didn't tee off on him to stop him.  They were giving us the checkdowns and that drastically inflated his numbers.  He still had a great year, but when the team is THAT bad, it just doesn't stand out.

Smitty dealt with legit double and triple teams all year and still had one of the top 5 greatest seasons ever by a WR on an offense utterly devoid of talent, and literally willed the team to the NFC Championship where the Seahawks figured out that if you QUADRUPLED him, you could actually stop him.

Steve Smith. 

My favorite quote from an opposing player that season:

“Steve Smith, that's what happened to us. He just kept making plays. We had a plan. We never really doubled him. We ran a lot of Cover 2, and obviously that didn't work out too good for us.”

— Brian Urlacher

Best question thread I've seen since the lockdown began.. great job OP

I'll go with Smitty because he had to do most of his work before he got the ball and still had to fight and get the ball.. CMC either had it handed to him or a short dink/dunk pass.. I'm obvi splitting hairs here..

either way - Panther fans are winners

16 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Raw numbers-wise its CMC, who just had one of the most dominant seasons EVER by a RB. If you consider how the team did, Smitty, though the "force fed" argument could be used against 89 that year, too. I remember so many of us complaining that we didn't have anyone else to throw it to. 

It’s a lot harder to force feed a WR while also winning games. No comparison. 

4 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Smitty dealt with legit double and triple teams all year and still had one of the top 5 greatest seasons ever by a WR on an offense utterly devoid of talent, and literally willed the team to the NFC Championship where the Seahawks figured out that if you QUADRUPLED him, you could actually stop him.

And even then he just demanded to go return a punt and took it back for a TD. 

21 hours ago, Car123 said:

Because Cam’s 2015 season is the best season by a Carolina Panther. No contest.

Most impressive season by an offensive player

2015 Cam

2005 Smith

2019 CMC

2008 DeAngelo

2004 Moose

2010 Clausen 

19 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I can see the argument for both sides but recency bias and the fact that only 2 other players are apart of the 1k/1k club makes mean lean towards CMC (11 people have won the triple crown). Smith had a better supporting cast. CMC was the offense last year. 

So CMC by a hair, but I see the argument for Smith. That was a fun as hell year. 

Solid rationale.

I'd throw in that Smith absolutely had a better team around him, especially looking at the offensive line, the defense and the quarterback spots. No question the 2005 squad was the better team by a mile.

Also no question that 2005 season was a hell of a lot more fun to watch. Last season made people want to scratch their eyes out.

Archived