• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Ian Thomas develop into a quality starter?

Jeremy Igo

From Panthers.com 

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds, the young tight end is a matchup problem. And when he starts running, it's easy to see why he was an enticing choice for the Panthers with the first pick of the fourth round in the 2018 draft.

Playing behind Greg Olsen, Thomas flashed at times in his first couple seasons, recording 52 receptions for 469 yards and three touchdowns. Yet, he hasn't been a full-time starter.

While that should change this year, Thomas isn't taking anything for granted.

"I mean, I'm not sure if I have a starting role yet," he said Tuesday.

So, Thomas himself isn't sure he is the starter yet. 

How confident are you in him becoming a quality starter for this team?

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

From Panthers.com 

So, Thomas himself isn't sure he is the starter yet. 

How confident are you in him becoming a quality starter for this team?

He has always (even in college) been a "potential" guy.  But for a TE who was injured at times, playing behind Olsen, and in RR's dog house for much of his career, 469 yards on 52 receptions with either a battered Cam or slumping Kyle Allen under center is not a bad foundation.  I would say that he needed a clean slate and opportunity---and a QB who favors the shorter routes and one that puts the ball on the numbers on time--will only help Thomas.  I am in the "the dude is ready to launch" mode.  Just remember, you heard it here fourth or fifth, today.

He’s flashed pretty well with every opportunity he’s gotten and will continue to get better. I’m very confident he’ll be at least an average starter, and hopeful he can turn into a pass catching stud.

Guess it depends on what you expect. Will he approach a level that we're more use to like a Greg Olsen? No, and part of that is the presence of other legit receiving targets. He's a solid type player who will make some plays and should achieve that starter level status but nothing more.

We were spoiled to have one of the best TEs in the NFL for the last decade, so anything Thomas does isn’t going to be as good right away. By all accounts he should be the starting TE taking the bull by the horns. Instead we see the team constantly shuffling the TE room probably because they know Thomas can’t cut it. Damn shame because he’s obviously talented. Hope he shows up this season.

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

We were spoiled to have one of the best TEs in the NFL for the last decade, so anything Thomas does isn’t going to be as good right away. By all accounts he should be the starting TE taking the bull by the horns. Instead we see the team constantly shuffling the TE room probably because they know Thomas can’t cut it. Damn shame because he’s obviously talented. Hope he shows up this season.

Or maybe it's because they're looking for better backup options. It's not like they're bringing in guys who are expected to really push Thomas as the starter.

Archived