• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"It's time to start giving Teddy Bridgewater the respect he deserves"

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, Seltzer said:

Yes it is.  And while I'm still a Cam stan (even though I'm Panthers first), Teddy is significantly better at anticipation than Cam is IMO.  

Cam, while streaky, is great at reading defenses and making good throws for the most part, but where Teddy delivers the ball versus Cam is better.  Both can get it to the right guy accurately, but Teddy is doing a better job of setting the receiver up for YAC.

Cam has superior arm talent, athleticism, and is the greatest power running QB of all time.

But it is clear that a lot of people, me including, underestimated what Teddy can do in this offense.  This offense is the most fun to watch since 2015.  And I'm not saying that to shade CMC.  He has been unreal and fun to watch the last 2 seasons, but we all know that just like with Cam having a one-man offense is not sustainable forever.

Anyway, this season is fun.  That's all we can ask for after such a lousy year.

I was going to share my thoughts but this pretty much captures all of my opinions on the matter. Not a single thing here I disagree with, especially the bits on Cam. I'd like to add that Teddy's anticipation especially helps out in this system with the burners and YAC-guys that we have all over the field which in turn leads to broken tackles and more yards. Teddy's able to get it to DJ the moment he gets some space, and let him work in the open field. That's where a lot of his yardage is coming from. Can't wait to see him once we get CMC back and hopefully incorporate a bit of a tandem with CMC/Davis out of the backfield.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I am a factory of sin

The same posters that try to condition the Teddy signing with "he will never win us a Super Bowl" as a condition of being a franchise QB had better be ready to say they would take Joe Flacco & Trent Dilfer over Cam Newton for the same reason regardless of how bad of a take they know that it is

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I am a factory of sin

The same posters that try to condition the Teddy signing with "he will never win us a Super Bowl" as a condition of being a franchise QB had better be ready to say they would take Joe Flacco & Trent Dilfer over Cam Newton for the same reason regardless of how bad of a take they know that it is

The hyperbole and strawmen in this post are amazing. Such comments continue to ignore that this general position (and my own personal comments since Day 1) understands that for a guy with Teddy's current body (emphasis on current) of work to win a Super Bowl, an elite defense will be required; Dilfer had this. Flacco did as well, though he also had an amazing individual playoff run the likes of which Teddy has yet to out on tape. Cam (who I personally have never mentioned, but do consider a game-changer) made it to the Super Bowl with Ted Ginn, Jerricho Cotchery, and Philly Brown and continually carried lower-tier gameplans and players to competent offensive performances.

This Carolina team does not YET appear to have an elite-level defense and Teddy has not YET shown that he can beat top-tier competition in this offense or elevate lower-tier offensive players; that does not mean he CAN NEVER, it just means it hasn't happened yet. He is doing very well in a promising system with arguably the best set of skill players Carolina has ever had, certainly since prime Smitty/Moose/Proehl. After 5 games things are pointing up and it's very possible he proves that he is more than Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a high-quality player that won a lot of games in good systems with good players around him, just like Teddy to date, but Alex Smith's body of work does not include beating the best when it comes to the playoffs and top-tier competition.

Can Teddy elevate past that? Very possible, and if so it opens Carolina's window that much wider.

It's that simple and straightforward. It really is. No disrespect or 'hating', no strawmen, no moving goalposts involved. Teddy and the team can only play the schedule as written and the opportunities are coming. Evidenced-based opinions don't seem to be en vogue at the moment but it is not unreasonable to only still be cautiously optimistic about Teddy, the new staff, and/or the team as a whole after a mere 5 weeks against what appears today to be largely middle-tier-or-lower competition. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

14 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

The reality is that many are still trying to defend their adamant remarks that Teddy was a bad signing and not a very good QB. 

I wanted us to keep Cam and let him play out his last year.  I thought if he stayed healthy we could resign him and not draft a QB and if he couldn’t stay healthy we would be in prime position for Lawrence or Fields.

But when we cut him and signed Teddy, I was very supportive of it. I said Teddy for Brady’s offense was much better than Cam. I think that’s pretty obvious now, though at the time I was called a Cam hater and it was even implied I was a racist despite the fact I supported Teddy and wanted to keep Cam... odd isn’t it?

Even last week posters were mouthing back at me that Teddy could absolutely not be a franchise QB and I even said that I was unsure he was the future. But in this system we don’t need a Mahomes to win a SB. Teddy is putting up incredible numbers with a brand new staff. Imagine our offense right now with a defense that resembles the 49ers last year. That team probably wins the SB. So this whole argument that Teddy can’t do it in today’s NFL is frankly nonsense.

Jimmy G was about 10 minutes from beating the Chiefs. I’ll take Teddy and this offense over that one any day of the week. All the “he doesn’t have the tools to win in today’s game” are just lazy excuses to save face that some absolutely could not stand Teddy. 

He is 100% proving he can get it done. Not only that but this team is honestly not far off from being 4-1 or even 5-0. This defense was a joke last year but is improving every week. Lots of crow to be had for lots of people...

I said Teddy will have a career season and I thought he would have a top 10 borderline top 5 offense, you can read my post history.

With that said to many people in this forum are getting caught up the moment right now. I think Teddy is in the same class as Alex Smith, Jimmy G maybe throw in Cousins and Goff in there, can you win a SB with them? Yes, but you will have less room for error, you need a stacked supporting cast with a smart coach basically serving everything on a silver platter. And guys like Garoppolo and Goff still lost, you know why? cause they couldn’t make big time throws in the big game. Alex Smith led the nfl in passer rating and had over 4000 yards had a 5 top offense and the chiefs still moved on, cause they knew they had limitations with him at the helm.

Also why do people insist on bringing up Cam as if he ever played with offense this stacked with an offensive coaching staff? You do know Cam and Teddy both played under Norv and had completely different outcomes.

i for one am glad that one or two players aren't going to win us a super bowl anymore.   as a matter of fact they never did.  if we win with these coaches it'll for sure be a team win. f a bunch of hero ball. 

42 minutes ago, raz said:

i for one am glad that one or two players aren't going to win us a super bowl anymore.   as a matter of fact they never did.  if we win with these coaches it'll for sure be a team win. f a bunch of hero ball. 

I was reading through the latest on this thread and had the same thought.  Super Bowls rarely are decided by one player.  Even last year, the Chiefs defense stepped up to keep the game close while the Niners defense frustrated the Chiefs offense.

We pretty much tried that in 2015, with a strong defense but an offense that revolved around one player "doing it all."  We saw how that turned out.  Our defense did its job and the Broncos neutralized the one offensive threat (with some help from our simplistic coaching philosophy).  That was not the first time that type of outcome happened in a Super Bowl.  Not the second time, either.

Matt Rhule is to be applauded for what He has done with no preseason, no OTAs, nothing in person.  

It has been masterful.   

He has made a couple of coaching mistakes but nothing nearly  as egregious as the ‘experienced’ ones he and his staff replaced 

the same is true of the players and Teddy.    

I would caution against anointing anyone until the competition is better and as nfl coordinators get film on tendencies, things can change quickly 

just enjoy the ride for once 

Archived