• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All of you were right about Cam

AceBoogie

34 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I mean ... come on. Cam was a freak of nature. A once in a decade machine. No one could stop him at the start of his career. No one. He could throw, run, juke, and he scared defenders. But he was never cerebral. He was a burst of life, color, and energy. But he was never elite. And the Panthers record shows it. He had 2015 ... and that's it. Everything else was what you'd expect from a great QB ... which is what he'll be remembered as. But coaches caught on to him, he got older, and then he got hurt. We saw it with Vick too. Both men had a window, and couldn't climb through.

Cam can still get wins, sure. But the record-setting freak (yes, I know he just got one) days are LONG gone. The run over you days are over too. His arm is bruised and  it's old. It's over, guys. I know all of you want 2015 Cam again, but that was ONE season! I know all of you want the insane rookie Cam was, but that era is older than some of your own children. As a lifelong Auburn fan, I loved how he played the game. It was unique. But it can't survive in the NFL. That's just facts. Too many have failed, and the ones that have made it (hi, Mahomes) are ... cerebral. I may have hated the person Cam portrayed himself to be, but I was a Panthers fan always. So I hope he doesn't fizzle out and crash, but ... he missed his window.

No offense but I somewhat call bullshit. What proof do you have that Cam isn't "cerebral"? Patrick Mahomes himself admitted he couldn't read a defense until last year. If Cam Newton was such a numbskull why wasn't Luke Keuchly destroying him every day in practice?

Not accusing you of malice but this is an ignorant, if not borderline racist take that has followed Cam his entire career. Colin Cowherd comes to mind. Cam can make audibles, Cam can read a defense. No one ever accused Jake Delhomme of being anti cerebral after his franchise destroying 6 INT game. Or his failure in 2009 after safety blanket Steve Smith finally got covered. 

Cam Newton played his entire career in a high risk high reward offense that relied on him to be the spark for the running game. We played in constant 3rd and longs, bailed out by Greg Olsen or Ted Ginn or a Cam Newton highlight play. His numbers reflected that

All the sudden we get CMC and Norv Turner and Cam's completion percentage goes up and his stats look great. So how much of being cerebral is having the easy plays available to you  versus having to constantly carry the offense?

Cam's a unique player because in his peak form he is a jack knife player. Sometimes in his career the dump off pass, the short throw to an unreliable target(Funchess, Naanee, etc) wasn't the smart move. Why would Cam throw to a crap WR when he knew he could run for the first down?  

Cam Newton was a championship caliber player. We would have won the SB if the NFL didn't didn't guarantee Peyton's retirement trophy. He's been the most unfairly hated on player for simply being unabashedly black and confident at the biggest leadership position in sports. He might be damaged goods now but he was absolutely the real deal and the Panthers failed him.

4 hours ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I disagree. They are Good, good offensive line. Solid RBs, good WR in Edelman. Sure they aren’t loaded with talent but they are above average. Tom Brady basically had the same team and did fine. Good QBs can do fine with an average team. Cam is doing horrible right now and you can’t blame that on the pats.

D. Byrd was their No. 1 receiver.  That should tell you all you need to know about their WR corp.  Edelman is a slot guy and 100 yrs old. A LB was about to cover him. 

They may have a decent line but their RB are weak and zero weapons.  While Cam may done it was quite clear to me that it's not all Cam in New England.

I’m still pissed Cam isn’t a Panther but I understood the situation. 

As far as how he did today, when a guy gets older and has had a lot of injuries you typically see the “bad” version become more prevalent than the “in his prime” version as we see with Cam.

But it’s foolish to ever count him out and it’s still too early for that even if you wanted to do it.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We had the best offensive and best defensive player in the league and... man, fug.

Watching the two of them both fall apart physically before turning thirty hurts, RR and company ruined them. As a Panther fan if you're truly honest with yourself you knew it was curtains for Luke after the Saints concussion and Cam when Watt wrecked his shoulder :( 

Cam doesn't fit this offense. He only fits a very specific offense and we don't have the personnel for it, neither does New England. Also it doesn't help that he can't throw it like he used to. He's probably only got a year or two left, unfortunately. But it was a hell of run.

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

But it’s foolish to ever count him out and it’s still too early for that even if you wanted to do it.

Is it really foolish? The entire league counted him out and it looks like they were right in doing so. 

Cam went to the greatest coach of all time and was benched after 5 games.

The odds of him getting another starting job is almost zero now. 

He’s stubborn, so he’ll take some backup job next year, but for all intents and purposes, he’s done.

He hasn’t been the same since he got covid. I dunno if he has lingering symptoms or it just threw him off mentally but he was playing really well before that. The guy had a 400 yard 3 td game this season. The game after that he came up against a good front 4 in the Raiders week 3 but still made great plays to seal that game. Then he gets covid missed a week, then the game leading up to Denver the Patriots don’t practice but one day because of Covid. He hasn’t been right since then.

I love Cam. 

He could have been one of the best to ever play the game. Instead, he was satisfied with being a generational talent.  

So many blame the coaches we had, but The fact is Cam was lazy about the things he needed to.improve upon. 

Could have been one of the best to ever play the game, but never even saw his top floor. 

God Bless you, Cam. 

11 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

I, Aceboogie, the last member of the Cam Newton bandwagon reluctantly exit the wagon today. He’s done and we ruined him. Kudos to the Panthers for getting it right and not compounding the issue. He could have been one of the greats but ran into Marty, Ron, and Dave. The three men who did what many defenses couldn’t. 

I now have a lot more optimism for this franchise going forward. Even with the loss today, our outlook is good and it started with moving on from Cam. 

You can add Kelvin Benjamin to that list by not fighting for that pass that resulted in an INT, that Cam had to make a tackle and screwing up his shoulder.  

25 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I love Cam. 

He could have been one of the best to ever play the game. Instead, he was satisfied with being a generational talent.  

So many blame the coaches we had, but The fact is Cam was lazy about the things he needed to.improve upon. 

Could have been one of the best to ever play the game, but never even saw his top floor. 

God Bless you, Cam. 

lol

Archived