• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Teddy competitive enough?

JABANOG

I cannot believe this is even a talking point, he was in New Orleans with those guys for 2 years, they became friends. 

He was joking around, he did not sit on the bench and tell Drew he was gonna take a fall. 

Teddy has been good enough at QB for us to have a winning record right now, we are sitting with less talent than most other teams in the league and we have yet to get blown out. The team is trending in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

Cant recall which game or games it was, but I noticed Teddy smiling at a point in a game where i'd expect any player to be pissed, serious and dialed in. He def isn't a Tom Brady with his demeanor on the field. 

Overall though, I like Teddy. 

It is hard to translate smiling or something like that with competitiveness. 

Joe Montana was preparing to huddle his team in Super Bowl 23, down 16-13 late in the 4th Quarter.  They were deep in their own zone, and he spotted John Candy in the stands.  He told his team "hey look, there's John Candy." 

When the whistle blew, they proceeded to drive down the field and score the winning touchdown with about :30 left in the game.  Was his focus on John Candy lack of competitiveness, or cool under pressure?

Everybody handles pressure situations differently.

I'll just say I never hold my breath the way I have with Cam, Jake, and definitely with Clausen. Cam and Jake both lived and died by the big play. Clausen was just a trainwreck with no upside. But with Cam and Jake, every time they went back I had to  hold my breath because I didn't know what to expect. Was it going to be epic or was it going to be ugly. 

With Teddy, there's none of that. The guy just moves the chains consistently and without flash.

He's just not a dynamic personality and player like Cam and Jake were and I'm ok with that. 

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'll just say I never hold my breath the way I have with Cam, Jake, and definitely with Clausen. Cam and Jake both lived and died by the big play. Clausen was just a trainwreck with no upside. But with Cam and Jake, every time they went back I had to  hold my breath because I didn't know what to expect. Was it going to be epic or was it going to be ugly. 

With Teddy, there's none of that. The guy just moves the chains consistently and without flash.

He's just not a dynamic personality and player like Cam and Jake were and I'm ok with that. 

yeah, there was definitely a 50/50 feeling that came over me w/ a lot of Jake and Cam passes.  Both also seemed to have good and bad versions too.  Bad version could show up for an entire game or maybe a quarter.  But they were definitely streaky players. 

Teddy definitely has a higher floor and lower ceiling than those type players.    

I think Teddy is Chill, but I don't think that means he lacks competitiveness. He can go and game, but he'll still have fun doing it. And that may be different for a lot of fans, who expect a player to get mad when they're behind.

I know it's an adjustment to me. I don't mind the sideline gimmick, I though it was funny. And three and a half quarters out of four of a football game, I'd have no issue with it whatsoever. But I don't know. On a game-winning-or-losing drive, I think I'd rather see my QB get back to the huddle with his own players instead of joking around with Brees. But that's just his game. He's chill. He's gonna have fun regardless of the situation, and truth be told, he still got the next play off with 10 seconds left on the play clock. So I'm all on board with him playing the game his way.

I do, however, wonder if it's going to lead to a clash of personalities in the locker room. Rhule seems very high-strung, businesslike, and seems to want to have an air of urgency on his team and on the sideline.

At about the 1:15 mark of this video, you see how Rhule and Teddy react to Teddy's pick in week 4.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/mic-d-up-matt-rhule

Very different. One very stressed, one chill to the point of coming off as dismissive. And I do wonder if Rhule with want him to be a little more serious as the season progresses.

Different personality types, but I don't doubt Teddy's competitiveness at all.

14 hours ago, JABANOG said:

Is Teddy competitive enough? During that last drive when he sits on the saints bench with Brees joking around on a game winning drive. Where is his edge? 

I think some people are taking his calm demeanor the wrong way. Isn't it a good thing to have a quarterback so composed under pressure? It's certainly better than what many QBs do (even good/elite ones) under the spotlight, which is; they start floating passes and getting jittery. Sure, Teddy does it too (see: bears int), but he looked really composed in most of the later portions of games we had to play this year including last week. Not everyone can be Tom Brady under pressure. Anyone blaming him is mad. The defense allowed them to go **12/14** on third down for christ sake and the offensive line disintegrated on that final sack, this coming after he escaped many a sack beforehand.

Archived