• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#1 Priority for Next Year

rayzor

What is the priority for next year?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What should the top focus be on in year 2 of the rebuild?

Until the OL gets a significant upgrade the offense will continue to struggle and the defense, no matter how good, will continue to be gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Success is predicated on dominating at the point of attack, the offensive and defensive lines.

Defensive line looks promising, the offensive line needs to be next.

Throw everything we've got at building a stud OL. We've got decent weapons on offense and a QB that can use them. Give Bridgewater some time and CMC some holes and I think we're in the playoffs. 

A good OL can make an average QB look really good.  A bad OL can turn an elite QB turn into jimmy clausen. 

For once in over a decade, let's have an OL that won't get the QB killed.

I'm going to get some hate for this but we need a damn MLB. A true field general and leader on the defense. Watching a defense without a Luke Kuechly or Jon Beason or Dan Morgan is exhausting. Our defense has no identity or confidence. Our gap discipline is a joke.

After that I say offensive line, DBs and QB. 

Depends on the position and who is available. OL is the biggest need but you have to snag a QB if you are in a position to get an elite one. After that, it's really a toss up. We need DB's badly, LB's badly, DL badly.....we aren't set at really any position other than RB currently. 

Keep in mind that we could lose both Samuel and Anderson too. 

2 hours ago, Dex said:

I'm going to get some hate for this but we need a damn MLB. A true field general and leader on the defense. Watching a defense without a Luke Kuechly or Jon Beason or Dan Morgan is exhausting. Our defense has no identity or confidence. Our gap discipline is a joke.

After that I say offensive line, DBs and QB. 

I know what you are saying but we're not going to score enough points with the line we have.  I would focus the first 2 or 3 picks on offensive line and find a serviceable MLB until we can draft one. 

Would I be upset if we drafted a MLB in round one or two, NO.  But hoping our O-line improves with experience is probably fruitless. 

You have to follow the basic rule of trying to get good value for your draft picks and money. We don't know which good value players will be available during our picks, or which players will be floating in free agency.

You have to also take into account the overall blueprint for how we're going to build the team. Which positions will be populated with cheap players, and which will be our mid-level, and which will be our premium positions. For example, the Falcons are generally known for wanting top quality safeties, and the Panthers are know for wanting cheap bargain bin players at safety. Then you have to look at which side of the team will eat up more cap space by design, the offense or defense?

The Panthers are 32nd out of 32 teams in defensive spending this season, and 21st out of 32 in offensive spending. That doesn't tell us much due to our rebuilding, but I think we're going to be a team that spends more on defense than offense. That is because Bridgewater is a game managing QB, so you build an iron curtain on defense. This prevents elite high flying teams from running up a score that Bridgewater can't match, and it suffocates lesser teams.

O-line and DBs have a lot of room for improvement.

28 minutes ago, pantherj said:

You have to follow the basic rule of trying to get good value for your draft picks and money. We don't know which good value players will be available during our picks, or which players will be floating in free agency.

You have to also take into account the overall blueprint for how we're going to build the team. Which positions will be populated with cheap players, and which will be our mid-level, and which will be our premium positions. For example, the Falcons are generally known for wanting top quality safeties, and the Panthers are know for wanting cheap bargain bin players at safety. Then you have to look at which side of the team will eat up more cap space by design, the offense or defense?

The Panthers are 32nd out of 32 teams in defensive spending this season, and 21st out of 32 in offensive spending. That doesn't tell us much due to our rebuilding, but I think we're going to be a team that spends more on defense than offense. That is because Bridgewater is a game managing QB, so you build an iron curtain on defense. This prevents elite high flying teams from running up a score that Bridgewater can't match, and it suffocates lesser teams.

O-line and DBs have a lot of room for improvement.

That is a little misleading though especially on the defensive side.  Chinn, Brown, YGM, Pride, Jackson are all on their rookie contracts which makes this a bit misleading. 

Archived