• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gordon Hayward signs with Charlotte 4 years/120M

Proudiddy

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I guess I don't get this sign and trade junk.  If Boston takes back Batum to get some trade exception fine but why in the hell would the Hornets give them any fuggin thing otherwise?  WTF...Hayward is ours period.  Fug Boston.

If Boston takes back salary, then we don't have to stretch Batum's cap hit over the next three years.  He'd be off the books either now (if Boston took him) or next year (if Boston took someone else). That would be very beneficial to us. So the sign and trade would be beneficial to us regardless of who we send. 

Of the three possible contracts, ideally it be Batum. If not him, it's a toss up of who you'd rather keep between Zeller and Rozier.  Losing Zeller would leave us very thin in the front court.  And his contract comes off the books next year.  Rozier still has two years left on his deal and we have a lot more backcourt depth.  So while Rozier is the better player, it may makes sense to try to send him back.

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I guess I don't get this sign and trade junk.  If Boston takes back Batum to get some trade exception fine but why in the hell would the Hornets give them any fuggin thing otherwise?  WTF...Hayward is ours period.  Fug Boston.

And if a three team deal cost us Rozier for a protected first then fine.  Better be Clevelands (or a bad teams) first though.

Only reason we entertain the sign and trade is to get an asset in return. If Boston wants a huge trade exception then they will have to pay us for it! From what I saw they wanted Miles and we weren't having it and then we leaked the Batum cut and stretch. Now, Boston wants back in. For us we don't do it just to get rid of any players. We only do it for an asset in return. 

Give us a pick or we don't do it. 

I do think we will try to move Terry and Zeller, but not for just anything. They both have value and we are treating them as such. The value is the expiring deal with Zeller and the fact was Terry shot very well last year and did average 18 pts. 

One of the reasons I don't follow the Hornets as much as I would like to is because they don't change their year to year philosophy.  When they get a good player they don't hold onto him.  Most likely because that player knows we are never going to compete for a title. 

We have possibly one of the most exciting players in the draft.  We have a veteran ball player that was a key member of a really good Celtics team and some solid role players. 

If Melo and Hayward make things exciting.  Others will be more inclined to come here and play for the Hornets.

I know many of you remember the good old days when the Hornets led the league in attendance and Pro basketball was great here.  I truly think that MJ wants that here.  

Personally I like the move because I think the Hornets want to be contenders. The Bucks, Timberwolves and Pacers have show a small market can contend.  It's about time Charlotte gets involved.

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

We just drafted 2 guys to play center...Washington is a F

Hayward may play the 2 position as well.  I have to be honest a healthy Hayward is good but that fuggin contract is bugging the crap outta me.  With that injury history lately this feels like a desperate kinda move that we honestly didn't need to make here.

I didn’t want Hayward at 100 mil to be honest.  120?  Very questionable move for sure.  Gotta pray he stays healthy or we just added another Batum situation for additional years.

Trying to be positive on this move but risky as hell is an understatement.

13 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

I think the Hornets were close to dead last in attendance last year. I imagine Jordan wants to get people in the stands by any means necessary, and he sees this as a chance to roll the dice on Hayward staying healthy and LaMelo living up to the hype. If he can stay healthy, this will be a fun to watch young playoff team with solid coaching and veteran leadership. 

I’m as excited to see the Hornets as I can remember, so in that sense Jordan is halfway there.

Exactly, plus he sees the Panthers in flux as an opportunity to reclaim some Hornets fans.

58 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Hayward may play the 2 position as well.  I have to be honest a healthy Hayward is good but that fuggin contract is bugging the crap outta me.  With that injury history lately this feels like a desperate kinda move that we honestly didn't need to make here.

I didn’t want Hayward at 100 mil to be honest.  120?  Very questionable move for sure.  Gotta pray he stays healthy or we just added another Batum situation for additional years.

Trying to be positive on this move but risky as hell is an understatement.

This team has been after Hayward for 5 or 6 years.  Im fine with the contract. Compared to Batum's contract its a steal. 

Im just happy to see an effort to be competitive out of the Hornets.

I also dont think we should move Zeller. Ive always liked his hustle and his fundamentals. I think he would blend well with Hayward and Ball.  We need to surround a guy like Ball with mature players that are fundamentally sound.  That will elevate Ball's skill set. Cody is a valuable role player who has a decent all around game with good hustle defensively. 

7 hours ago, TikTOK said:

Agree. Boston already f’d themselves. As of right now, Gordon is a signature on a dotted line away from being a Hornet. If Boston wants to not look stupid for letting Hayward go for nothing, they better give us a draft pick and a good one (involving a 3rd team). Jordan and Mitch can’t be that stupid to send Miles or Monk. I really hope not. It has to be Batum + Zeller or Rozier for Hayward and 2021 1st. 

I've read about this a tiny bit - but not truly understanding it.. why do they want to do this? they lose Hayward either way.. we have incentives to do it so we don't have to pay Batum's deal over 3 years but we would have to give them Batum + Zeller/Rozier?? why can't we just do it straight up = Hayward for Batum? and why do they have to throw in a draft pick?? I would rather waive and stretch Batum's contract + keep Zeller/Rozier.. They both give us solid minutes, especially Rozier..

3 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I've read about this a tiny bit - but not truly understanding it.. why do they want to do this? they lose Hayward either way.. we have incentives to do it so we don't have to pay Batum's deal over 3 years but we would have to give them Batum + Zeller/Rozier?? why can't we just do it straight up = Hayward for Batum? and why do they have to throw in a draft pick?? I would rather waive and stretch Batum's contract + keep Zeller/Rozier.. They both give us solid minutes, especially Rozier..

Actual we can get a asset because Batum or Cody are expiring contracts that help them..  Get rid of Batum and not paying him would be good enough for me.. But what I'm hearing we might deserve more like a few picks if we do this for them..

Archived