• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Samir Suleiman: What he has already done to the Panthers

MHS831

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Really? CMC was under contract for two more seasons. There was zero urgency to ink him to a new deal. 

Weatherly has been terrible.

These moves were dumb. Many of us questioned the timing of CMC's contract when it happened. It was just unnecessary to sign a guy to a huge extension when he was under contract for two more seasons at a high wear and tear position. The organization assumed all the risk there for minimal reward. Lo and behold, now CMC is struggling with injuries. I just hope that turns out to be a one year anomaly because if it doesn't the timing of that contract is going to go from mistake to HUGE mistake.

The extension given to CMC now is cheaper than it would be in two seasons. Regardless, we would have had to pay him. It's less impact on cap if you do it now, and you can pay your core from the following drafts.  As for weatherly, is a short term deal. This time next year this topic is null. We will have the money and no issues. It's not like they gave weatherly a max contract over many years... This mentality is basically turning a mole hill into a mountain. 

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I am assuming you just needed to add to your list to make it appear long, but I’m not sure how you can say extending CMC was a mistake. Same with weatherly considering his contract is a stop gap and short term, and has an out.  

Signing any player two years early can be dangerous because it sets a precedent that other players might expect the same.  Some organizations make it a policy that they don't talk extension until one year left on any contract.

Whether any team should sign a RB to a huge deal is another discussion for another time.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

This is what a lot of huddlers don't understand about Teddy's contract.  On the surface, you are 100% right.

The reason Teddy's contract is the way it is, and the reason we didn't keep Cam is quite simple.  Rhule / Brady wanted a young guy to coach up, and a mentor for him.  It's super clear there were doubts about Cam in the building, and honestly I don't see Cam's personality as that of a mentor.  Not saying Cam isn't a great locker room guy, fantastic leader, great servant in the community.  None of that.  I just don't see his personality allowing him to be a backup.  No different than Brett Favre or Peyton Manning.

In no way does this say Cam was/is washed up.  There is no way Cam goes into next year on a one year deal.  He's done "ok" in Foxboro with a new system, bad receivers and no offseason.  But let's be honest, he hasn't exactly lit it up either.

On the other hand, Teddy does have those mentor characteristics.  His contract is even constructed in such a way that if we had found "our guy" this last offseason, Teddy would still have started this year while mentoring him.  Next year, Teddy would stay around as the backup, albeit an expensive one and then a fallback for if "our guy" failed.  That same thing still holds true because of the contract.

We find "our guy" this offseason.  Teddy mentors him, and probably still at least begins the year (2021) as the starter.  If our guy gets ready quickly, maybe he takes over mid season.  Maybe we keep Teddy on in 2022 as the backup, again, albeit an expensive one.  If our guy fails, we have an average QB to at least let us compete.

I just don't get all the hate for the TB5 contract.  It just makes sense.  We needed at least two seasons from veteran QB with a mentoring personality.  Preferably three.  And we didn't want to break the bank.  Yea, 20 million sounds like a lot, but it's really only middle of the road for a QB.  Cam just wasn't going to check those boxes for us, and that is no slight against him.  I'm glad he's doing well, I hope he continues to get better, I hope he gets paid.  He just wasn't what our new staff wanted.

You don’t understand the hate because you don’t understand salary cap and team building. Just like you were told yesterday, and pretty much since TB signed, if TB is mentoring a young QB next year, this was a bad decision. You somehow want people to believe that paying a QB coach 40M is better than the multiple quality players that money could be used for. I’m sure an All-Pro CB and OL wouldn’t help near as much as a bridge QB/mentor. And what makes TB this perfect mentor for a young QB. More so than any other vet who would be much cheaper(Dalton?). Maybe you can help me understand that? 

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The extension given to CMC now is cheaper than it would be in two seasons. Regardless, we would have had to pay him. It's less impact on cap if you do it now, and you can pay your core from the following drafts.  As for weatherly, is a short term deal. This time next year this topic is null. We will have the money and no issues. It's not like they gave weatherly a max contract over many years... This mentality is basically turning a mole hill into a mountain. 

It certainly won't be cheaper if the injury issues continue.

A bunch of mole hill mistakes can quickly turn into a mountain in terms of the cap situation.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It certainly won't be cheaper if the injury issues continue.

A bunch of mole hill mistakes can quickly turn into a mountain in terms of the cap situation.

I had typed a long reply here, but this damn entresto bs ads erased everything, so I will just say..... time will tell. This is all assumption right now. Ill eat crow if CMC turns out to be injury riddled the rest of his career. His dead cap number is actually pretty low two years from now. I think 4.3mil - so again not worried.

True test will be how we handle this offseason. 

SS has done well thus far and I'm confident he will continue to move out the old guard and/or depreciating assets, while continuing to balance the books to make us fiscally strong for the long haul. 

Moton is FA #1 and Curtis and Douglas are 2A and 2B. No need to sign any other names except retaining the three that we have groomed. Let the young draftees continue to grow and keep Marty away from the checkbook. 

If Rhule and Co. can have another draft haul this year as good as last year's is looking, then I think we will be on the right track.

2 hours ago, Mistuh Jones said:

I still don't understand 16 mil for Weatherly. I don't think I ever will 

It was only $12 million for 2 years. In a time where elite pass rushers get $20 million per year, that's basically the price you pay for a quality backup defensive end with starter potential, or a middling starter there primarily to be a mentor for your young guys until they get up to speed. He essentially served that exact role with numbers that were depressed by Snow's conservative playcalling and 3 man rushes. We can (and almost certainly will) cut him this offseason with only $2 million in dead cap. Those are the types of "misses" you can weather (pun unintended).

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I am assuming you just needed to add to your list to make it appear long, but I’m not sure how you can say extending CMC was a mistake. Same with weatherly considering his contract is a stop gap and short term, and has an out.  

Extending CMC with 2 years left on rookie deal was a mistake. nobody does this but jerry jones and us

8 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

It was only $12 million for 2 years. In a time where elite pass rushers get $20 million per year, that's basically the price you pay for a quality backup defensive end with starter potential, or a middling starter there primarily to be a mentor for your young guys until they get up to speed. He essentially served that exact role with numbers that were depressed by Snow's conservative playcalling and 3 man rushes. We can (and almost certainly will) cut him this offseason with only $2 million in dead cap. Those are the types of "misses" you can weather (pun unintended).

The guy has 6 career sacks. He's a complete JAG. He's our sixth highest cap hit this season. 

Archived