• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilson character issues.

Rags

Maybe I'm weird for this but I don't really care about the QB's personality nor do I think it has much bearing on performance. There's plenty of obnoxious pricks and humble nice guys among the greats.

like "Manziel without the drugs" might not be so bad, if that's even true.

26 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

nothing about his game is like clausen's

try again

You're kidding. Pickles could run, and did. Pickles put up great numbers. Pickles led his team to big seasons. Pickles looks like a douche.

They're almost mirror images of one another.

But hey, if you want to say Johnny Manziel 2.0, that works too albeit shorter than the Mormon.

14 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

You're kidding. Pickles could run, and did. Pickles put up great numbers. Pickles led his team to big seasons. Pickles looks like a douche.

But hey, if you want to say Johnny Manziel 2.0, that works too albeit shorter than the Mormon.

7-6, 6-6, and 8-5 are "big seasons" at Notre Dame?

LOL @ Pickles the runner. He had -355 rushing yards at ND. Yes, negative 355 yards.

Pickles looked bad his first two seasons. To his credit, he got it together and had a nice junior season and that was enough to get Marty to take the bait. He had a real affinity for massively hyped HS kids who disappointed at the college level (see also: Little, Greg).

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

7-6, 6-6, and 8-5 are "big seasons" at Notre Dame?

LOL @ Pickles the runner. He had -355 rushing yards at ND. Yes, negative 355 yards.

Pickles looked bad his first two seasons. To his credit, he got it together and had a nice junior season and that was enough to get Marty to take the bait. He had a real affinity for massively hyped HS kids who disappointed at the college level (see also: Little, Greg).

Clausen was absolutely not a runner. 

29 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Hbahahahahahaha

1 hour ago, Gesualdo said:

It's really impossible to escape the Clausen vibe with this guy. Not even saying he sucks like Clausen. I just don't know how anyone looks at his face and doesn't instantly think of Pickles. 

I get that, but as long as he can play, I'm not really concerned even if he looks like an exact clone of Ryan Leaf.

9 hours ago, Riverboat Ron said:

I may be in the minority here but my gut feeling about Wilson isn't good, it's the same feeling I got about Jimmy Clausen and Manziel. I hope the kid has a great career but I fully expect this staff to turn over every rock to make the best pick and if they see Wilson as the guy I'll give him a chance.

Kinda feel the same.  Definitely has question marks even before any character concerns...mainly the shoulder surgery and the bolt to major prospect in one short season against weak comp.  Didn’t we just fuggin go through a QB with a shoulder problem?  Much rather have Fields.  Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, amcoolio said:

On Walterfootball.com - 

Walter (site owner) is the hot take artist.

Charlie Campbell, who's article this is, is generally one of the best draft predictors every year and has a good feel for what positions teams are slated to draft.

He's a football nerd that does nothing else but NFL draft and its weird that he hasn't been picked up by better media outlets.

Here's a video he just did on Wilson and Marty Hurney Firing:

I think that this is a good vid with some nice info & good insight! 

I've always said that when you boil it down, Hurney was better than many GMs from a drafting perspective. The stats and quality of players we've drafted bare that out! Where I think he's gotten into trouble is the contracts, evaluating free agents and team building! And, sometimes things get to a point where you just need something new! Now, I thought Marty was bringing a fresh perspective, especially considering his first vs second run in Charlotte, but I also can't fault Tepper for wanting to start fresh! 

I hope Charlie Campbell is wrong about Tepper, but he did get my attention when he essentially said in so many words that Tepper seems to be trying to "reinvent the wheel." Could be the case, we'll see! If we suck in three years, or take a drop in drafting, but, more importantly, team building...then I'll have to give Campbell his props, but I'm not going to outright overlook what he's saying like others. He has some good insights and good nuggets! 

-----

Now regarding Wilson, I'm not gonna lie, I do get somewhere between a Manziel and Mayfield vibe from him. He's a little enigmatic in regards to his overall character and what to expect, but if he's on our clock in the second round, I'd probably rush up to the podium!

I have to trust that our FO knows what it's doing though---I don't have any choice. If they pick Wilson in the first, I'll be like this:Happy Robert Redford GIF

I think that Lance may have a higher ceiling though, and he'd be my pick from what I've seen! But, I'm not a scout and my information is limited!

Archived