• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do we feel about Matt Rhule after one season?

BIGH2001

I’m pretty happy. We had one of the least talented rosters in football and most prognosticators had us bottom 2. CMC missed almost the entire year and Teddy was far worse with the game on the line than we thought.

That said the team played hard and we just couldn’t overcome Teddy and our D holes.

I think we could play better than our talent but we still are missing too much talent right now.

Rhule has the mindset of a good coach. Don't let an inexperienced team--coaches included--that's still gelling and trying to get their poo together fool you!

He's ahead of schedule! We were supposed to be an easy out this season. We were anything but, for the most part. 

You gotta give the man at least three years to get us on track.

I’ll be the contrarian. I liked how guys played hard for him for most of the season.

I didn’t like that everything he said in press conferences was an absolute lie. I didn’t like that he stuck with guys who were terrible because they were given lots of money or because they played for him in college. Tactically, he’s the worst I’ve ever seen at challenging plays and in terms of calling them, whether it’s him or Brady in certain situations, I’m not impressed one bit. I didn’t like that he held out guys who wanted to play. 

But people like him bc he’s folksy. So, I hope he gets better and we win more than 5 games next year. I don’t have any proof to believe we will, though. Maybe a new QB will get that going.

7 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Great.  He took a team with very little talent and no cap space and made them competitive in every single game except tonight.  Players fought hard each week.  Halftime adjustments seemed to work.  No glaring coaching mistakes.  All in all...I think he did a great job. 

Note that we had plenty of cap going into FA. We spent like a drunk soccer mom with Short, Okung, Teddy, Weatherly, Apple and Roberts. Those guys were $60M just in 2020.

18 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

At first I felt ok. We were playing hard and hanging in against much better teams and even won a few games. As the year went on the coaching really seemed to drop off and now I’m not feeling all that great about a guy we just gave 60 million dollars to.  I need to see improvement next year and I think the jury is still totally out.

Thoughts?

The fact he won 5 games with this roster is a hell of a coaching job. You forget we were projected to be in Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes  when the season began. 

9 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Tactically, he’s the worst I’ve ever seen at challenging plays and in terms of calling them, whether it’s him or Brady in certain situations, I’m not impressed one bit. 

This definitely stood out to me as a weakness for him. He needs to get better at deciding what to challenge, and in what situation. But he's new to the pro game, so if he spent this year feeling out how NFL refs will handle challenges, it will be a good lesson going into next year. 

Archived