• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle options

AU-panther

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I’m just putting two and two together. That off-season the team (Marty and Tepper I believe) said we were focusing on analytics. PFF was way higher on Little and Grier than anyone else was especially after the combine. Even Scarlett was highlighted multiple times by PFF:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jordan Scarlett was the CLOSER for Florida this season: in the 4th quarter of games he averaged 3.8 yards per attempt after contact and converted 41.0 percent of his touches into a first down or a touchdown. <a href="https://t.co/8tXC0421C8">pic.twitter.com/8tXC0421C8</a></p>&mdash; PFF College (@PFF_College) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1112493025505234944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe they did influence some, but PFF overall aren't big fans of trading up for non-QBs, unfortunately they didn't' get that memo.

Either way the trade up bothers me more than the missing on the player.  Even though a lot of us didn't like him as a prospect but some outlets did.

I keep trying to tell people that finding a LT is hard, missing on one in the second round is actually the norm.  What tackles went next?   Ford or Risner?  I think they are both guards now.

Spend an early pick on one, give them time to develop, if they don't work out draft another.  If you ever find one pay them and keep them.  Quit trying to outsmart everyone by finding a gem later.

Okung is good when healthy but that’s the problem with him. I bet he will still get a big contract despite his injury history. I mean LT is a very important position and there aren’t a lot of good ones. So he could probably find a team that would give him a big contract. 

I could see moving Moton to LT however I’m not sure it would work out well. Would you rather have a good RT or an average LT? Maybe Moton ends up being a good LT but you are taking a risk.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

No, Verge said other teams were high on him too, including Verge’s source who works for another team, not the Panthers.

His source must have been his guys team and the Panthers.

Because I personally know of one FO who had a rd 3 grade on him.  I know 2 writers who were scouts of other teams at the time who's teams had bottom 2-rd 3 grades on him and have mentioned seemed the consensus with other teams.  Which also goes right with the actual video of the Bills war room when we made the pick, and the reactions seeming of disbelief when we picked him and they celebrated the other OT falling to them.

35 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe they did influence some, but PFF overall aren't big fans of trading up for non-QBs, unfortunately they didn't' get that memo.

Either way the trade up bothers me more than the missing on the player.  Even though a lot of us didn't like him as a prospect but some outlets did.

I keep trying to tell people that finding a LT is hard, missing on one in the second round is actually the norm.  What tackles went next?   Ford or Risner?  I think they are both guards now.

Spend an early pick on one, give them time to develop, if they don't work out draft another.  If you ever find one pay them and keep them.  Quit trying to outsmart everyone by finding a gem later.

2019 should have been IOL picks. We had 3 day 2 picks. Could have been McCoy, Evans and anything but Grier.

Marty as you said gets locked in and so he doesn’t look at depth/best positions. All the talk in 2018/2019 was IOL and we whiffed even though Norwell and Ryan K left and Marty obviously knew Turner wasn’t staying long. 2020 was a bunch of elite Ts. An OL of Scott, Miller, McCoy, Evans and Moton would have been fairly solid and you are just looking for a long term G and LT. Heck pick 100 could have been another guard or take Becton instead of Brown and you only need a G, extend Moton and you’ve got a long term solid OL.

22 minutes ago, ncfan said:

His source must have been his guys team and the Panthers.

Because I personally know of one FO who had a rd 3 grade on him.  I know 2 writers who were scouts of other teams at the time who's teams had bottom 2-rd 3 grades on him and have mentioned seemed the consensus with other teams.  Which also goes right with the actual video of the Bills war room when we made the pick, and the reactions seeming of disbelief when we picked him and they celebrated the other OT falling to them.

I'm not trying to defend Hurney at all, it was a bad pick, made worse by trading up. I'm just saying that all the hot takes here that it was an absolutely indefensible all time bad pick are just absurd. It'd be one thing if he took some small school scrub that no one knew about in the early 2nd, but it wasn't that. Little was a legit prospect going into that draft. I'm going off of was what Verge said before, which I remember being along the lines of many teams having high grades on Little too. Though I very well may be misremembering. 

Maybe @Verge can clear it up and specify what he said before.

5 hours ago, AU-panther said:

So some people thought I was crazy for suggesting trying to resign Okung depending on the price.  I know he has been hurt a lot, but when healthy he is a above average Left Tackle which is very hard to find.

People aren't thinking you're crazy . . . you are crazy.

Hurt "a lot" ?  The guy only played 90%+ of the offensive snaps FIVE TIMES!!!!!!  Four of those times are prior to week 6!!!!!  Last year it was only six total games.  He's only played 16 games ONCE in his carreer!  He's completely DONE.

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

People aren't thinking you're crazy . . . you are crazy.

Hurt "a lot" ?  The guy only played 90%+ of the offensive snaps FIVE TIMES!!!!!!  Four of those times are prior to week 6!!!!!  Last year it was only six total games.  He's only played 16 games ONCE in his carreer!  He's completely DONE.

Then he is due :)

last two years have been rough for him, but the 5 years before that he played in 15,15,16,13,14.

I agree, it would be a heck of a gamble, alot for me would depend on the structure of the contract.

So what is your suggestion?

3 hours ago, SOJA said:

Maybe the guy from VT will be there in the second for us 

Darrisaw is likely the 2nd or 3rd OT off the board at this point. His play this year after a really good 2019 and solid 2018 helped get him from a mid level recruit in HS to a 1st rounder.

In the middle of the year, his 2019-2020 was only behind sewell by a smig according to their system. I know that isn't loved here, but he has been getting great reviews all year. I would consider trading back to 10-15 and snag him possibly. Great OT prospect.

Based on draft of OTs going back to 2000, six were taken before pick #39 (our second rounder) a few times, 4-5 were about average.  So we are looking at the #4 or #5 OT; #6 in a worst case scenario.  Early on (I'm just really starting to dive into prospects) the OT class seems solid, just not super top heavy like last year.  Last year once the first several tackles came off the board, the talent level dropped off rather quickly.  This year you have Sewell and then a cluster of guys behind him.   My point is there may not be a significant difference between OT #3 and #5 this year.

51 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not trying to defend Hurney at all, it was a bad pick, made worse by trading up. I'm just saying that all the hot takes here that it was an absolutely indefensible all time bad pick are just absurd. It'd be one thing if he took some small school scrub that no one knew about in the early 2nd, but it wasn't that. Little was a legit prospect going into that draft. I'm going off of was what Verge said before, which I remember being along the lines of many teams having high grades on Little too. Though I very well may be misremembering. 

Maybe @Verge can clear it up and specify what he said before.

Again

Maybe his guy told him that.  But i know a organization that was the exact opposite of that, several other writers who were scouts at the time who's organizations were hearing what i hesrd and what dam near every other publisher heard outside of walterfootball.

And again you wouldnt be seeing a team throwing dam near a party in their war room when that happens.  Its probably not true.

Archived