• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones

34 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You need to find better talking heads to listen to, because I didn’t hear that from the ones I do.

Jones will probably go top 20.  The Pats could be his floor at 15.

You need to find better talking heads to listen to, because I didn’t hear that from the ones I do.

47 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

He could be great, sure...but Alabama can take essentially any average QB and still have a great team with the OL, weapons, and coaching around them.  Mac's job is essentially not to mess up.

Anyone who's done more digging may know, but I'd be interested in how he's been on tight window/"NFL throws" as opposed to throwing to guys who are "Alabama open" and putting up huge stats. 

2 hours ago, Zod said:

People said the same thing about Will Grier at this point in the offseason.

As a QB he had an undefeated record, excellent stats, played against top competition and while he did have the Heisman trophy winner catching a really good number of those passes... the passes still had to be made for it all to work out that way.

Last night he made all the throws, at all the levels of the playing field, both sides and down the middle and showed incredible touch with them.

He doesn't play the mobile QB game like a Wilson or Mahomes, but is more of a traditional pocket passer. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Seems to work for guys like Rogers, Brady, Brees, etc... We would need to work on that O-line, though. We've got the receivers for him to make it work.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Anyone not realizing Smith was the reason Jones looked good wasn't paying attention. I would draft Smith in a heartbeat. Jones I would draft in the 3rd.

If he were to come here, Moore and Anderson are highly above average NFL receivers for him to use. 

Everyone just wants another Cam that can run all over the place. We need a qb that can stay in the pocket and make accurate throws and throw past sticks when u need a first down. We don’t need a guy that has to run around all the time and only last 8 years after being hit and beat to death. I seen enough of that already

From what I saw last night, Jones certainly did not hurt his draft position and Fields didn't do much to help his.  I also think that Fields didn't substantially hurt himself either.  Between last night and the Clemson game, he probably winds up right about exactly where he started before those games.

I am assuming Jones is not our #1 target for QB.  If all of our choices ahead of him are gone at #8, Sewell, Surtain, and possibly Parsons are gone, maybe we look to trade down.

I looked at that with the draft value chart last night.  Believe it or not, our best options might be Jacksonville or the Jets.  Both have picks later in the first round (#25 and #23 respectively), then their high second round picks.  Looking at a draft value chart, those deals come close to evening out, so we would wind up with #23, #34, and our #39. 

Miami is also in that mix with the #18 and #36 picks, in addition to #3.  I am just not sure they would see the value in having #3 and #8, but perhaps they would if they are thinking of drafting a QB at #3 (which I doubt).

Would Leatherwood be available at #23 or #34?  Who knows?  Would Jones be available at #23 or #34?  Who knows?  I'm not advocating for it, but it is an option to come out with another top-40 pick.

Looking at our QB depth chart, it is very uncompelling.  As much as everybody trashes TB, he is the only one of the three likely to find a home if we cut all three tomorrow.  Somebody has to fill a spot.

I know, I know....I need to find better talking heads to listen to, because you didn’t hear that from the ones you do.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I know, I know....I need to find better talking heads to listen to, because you didn’t hear that from the ones you do.

excellent point,  I am reconsidering my stance

I can't put my finger on what it is about Jones that doesn't do it for me. Very successful QB, but I just see a mediocre NFL QB when I watch him. Maybe he's Matt Ryan, maybe he's Ryan Tannehill....idk.

He is essentially playing on an NFL Minor League team with his O-Line, WRs, RB and defense...not to mention the Belichick of the collegiate ranks. Also, 'Bama QBs (Same for OSU) rarely if ever pan out.

This could also be said about Lawerence and Fields as well, so it's also unfair to ding him on having the surrounding cast. 

3 hours ago, Zod said:

I distinctly remember Will Grier being discussed as a first rounder in January amongst talking heads and by some on the Huddle. Just like Jones now is.

TV bobbleheads and laymen typically dominate early draft discussions. It isn't until deep evaluations go on and they start mining actual player personnel sources that any of this stuff starts to get accurate. 

Current draft stock is basically a flavor of the week.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

As a QB he had an undefeated record, excellent stats, played against top competition and while he did have the Heisman trophy winner catching a really good number of those passes... the passes still had to be made for it all to work out that way.

Last night he made all the throws, at all the levels of the playing field, both sides and down the middle and showed incredible touch with them.

He doesn't play the mobile QB game like a Wilson or Mahomes, but is more of a traditional pocket passer. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Seems to work for guys like Rogers, Brady, Brees, etc... We would need to work on that O-line, though. We've got the receivers for him to make it work.

Did he though? Really?

Archived