• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone disagree with this statement?

t96

Just sssooooo many needs along with starting QB, its not a must on my list. Adding young talent is and if it happens to be a QB, GREEEATT!! Dont want to force it either, team is still two years away. They been rebuilding the OL since 2015 and 5 starters and 2 top backups are not on the current team.

Its beyond insane to trade away picks and players for a QB, then put that QB behind a total new OL filled with cheap vets, rookies, and UDFAs. Its like spending 50k on a engine and putting it in a car with 4 bald tires. \

Blind huddlers- " But but but QB is everything, its SOOO shiny !!!" " He doesnt need a OL or TE." " IF the panthers giveup 50 points per, who cares about DBs and LBs needs"  Hurts my head, dream on tho. 

• Pie 2

Of these teams...

Washington, Vikings, Patriots, Raiders, Bears

Looking at each, consider potential cap space, key free agents, and draft picks, which team is most likely to have the worst season next year?

I was looking at the Bears. 

Less than $10 million in cap space. Touristy and Allen Robinson free agents from an already bad offense. Picking 20th.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think they're going to let you treat a QBs head like a piñata again, especially after seeing Mahomes nearly knocked out of the playoffs.

AAAANNNND the simple fact that the Broncos collapsed literally right after that. NOTHING in all of sports is more sure to prolonged success than having a good-elite QB. Put another way....nothing will make sure that you fail long term than having a bad QB.

All of those one off defenses that won a championship are just that...one offs that never had staying power. Tampa, Ravens, Broncos....that's not how you build it if you're trying to sustain success to go along with a SB win or even a dynasty.

I agree with the basic premise, which to me is "We need a franchise QB".  Our struggle is that we just aren't in a position to acquire an established franchise QB.  I find it hilarious how many fans keep up the farce that we can.

Our only path to an established QB is through a trade that SOMEHOW involves TB5.  Can you see *any* of those teams saying "Sure, send us Teddy!"  There is just no way.  Likewise, with Bridgewater here there is just no way we can put an established QB on the roster.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I agree with the basic premise, which to me is "We need a franchise QB".  Our struggle is that we just aren't in a position to acquire an established franchise QB.  I find it hilarious how many fans keep up the farce that we can.

Our only path to an established QB is through a trade that SOMEHOW involves TB5.  Can you see *any* of those teams saying "Sure, send us Teddy!"  There is just no way.  Likewise, with Bridgewater here there is just no way we can put an established QB on the roster.

I don’t think it would be terribly hard to offload Teddy’s contract to rebuilding teams who have a ton of cap space. Teddy and a 4th or 5th for a conditional 7th. 

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don’t think it would be terribly hard to offload Teddy’s contract to rebuilding teams who have a ton of cap space. Teddy and a 4th or 5th for a conditional 7th. 

Really?  Who?

Let's define "rebuilding" as 7-9 or less for the sake of argument and a "ton" of cap space as 50 million.

So, Jacksonville qualifies.  No chance there.  They've got two QB's on the roster now and Trevor Lawrence waiting in the wings.

Likewise, the Jets.  With Darnold under contract and the second pick, they are positioned to draft a very talented prospect or trade for an established QB.  No interest.

Patriots?  Cam won't be back, this we know.  Why would coach Hoodie want a QB with less arm and less running ability.  That doesn't even make sense.

And that's it for teams that fit those criteria.  This salary cap shrink is going to hurt everyone but the teams at the very upper end of available cap space.  There are only 9 teams with more than 20 million available.  Only six with more than 30 million.

The cap is TIGHT for everyone, and when you start doing trades it has to fit for everyone.  That's a tall order this year.  We need a QB before we can truly contend.  But a veteran is unbelievably difficult for us to work in.

Our most likely path is drafting one and hoping we get lucky.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, t96 said:

The Carolina Panthers need to get either Deshaun Watson, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, or a QB in the top 10 in this draft in the 2021 offseason for it to be a successful offseason.

I don't necessarily agree. I don't think Watson, Stafford or Rodgers are coming here and I don't like the financial/draft hit they would engender. I also don't think that Watson or Rodgers' egos would fit with our coaching staff.

Do we need a top 10 pick at QB to win? If Penei Sewell drops to us at 8 as Daniel Jeremiah was suggesting, then we'd be stupid to not take him and then swing for a QB in the 2nd round. 

We can win big without the big name QB with the massive price tag. If we can get a polished, pro-style program QB from the second round of the draft (like Mac Jones) paired with a good line, then we can win. We have so many weapons here on offense and I believe our defense is improving.

Not to mention, in free agency, that second tier of available QBs (and more affordable ones) is going to have some big names in it. Who knows what could be out there?

• Pie 1