• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade proposal via ESPN

Zod

48 minutes ago, Icege said:

Getting reeeaaal close to it since he has a $35M salary in 2022. Drops to $20M in 2023 but then hikes back up to $32M the two seasons after (roster bonus is covered by the old team, correct? Or is that not covered like signing bonuses?)

any team that trades for Watson will redo his contract. Its a short term burst value contract. The texans made that deal happen out of desperation. He will sign a 5+ year extension wherever he lands, and the team will most likely make it cap friendly. As I said in another thread, Watson may become the first QB in the league to have a standardized contract. 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

any team that trades for Watson will redo his contract. Its a short term burst value contract. The texans made that deal happen out of desperation. He will sign a 5+ year extension wherever he lands, and the team will most likely make it cap friendly. As I said in another thread, Watson may become the first QB in the league to have a standardized contract. 

This is assuming he agrees to that. It would be absolutely fantastic if it can do it. Possibly convert a chunk to a signing bonus, as well. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

This is assuming he agrees to that. It would be absolutely fantastic if it can do it. Possibly convert a chunk to a signing bonus, as well. 

Yeah, it does carry the caveat if would agree. In this situation where he gets to "choose" where he goes, I'd anticipate he'd want to set that team up for a SB and not just be the richest QB. Rodgers and Mahomes were inches from doing this. I hope if he lands here, he does it. It would be so awesome.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If they're sitting at #8 and don't/can't trade up and Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance are all gone what are they gonna do? Reach on Mac Jones? Oh wee mayne.

I know there's hysteria about QBs leading up to the draft and all but I highly highly doubt all of those 4 are gone by 8. That's just incredibly unlikely. And they can and will trade up if they need to. If not then they are even more of a dumpster fire than we all already know they are -- in which case it doesn't matter one bit about trying to sell Teddy to their fanbase, they'll just make the damn trade. It won't be hard to include Teddy in a trade to the Texans for Watson. May have to add another day 2 or 3 pick but that'll be the case regardless of where we try to trade him. Texans are actually one of the better spots to unload him, they don't need cap space this year...

Just now, t96 said:

I know there's hysteria about QBs leading up to the draft and all but I highly highly doubt all of those 4 are gone by 8. That's just incredibly unlikely. And they can and will trade up if they need to. If not then they are even more of a dumpster fire than we all already know they are -- in which case it doesn't matter one bit about trying to sell Teddy to their fanbase, they'll just make the damn trade. It won't be hard to include Teddy in a trade to the Texans for Watson. May have to add another day 2 or 3 pick but that'll be the case regardless of where we try to trade him. Texans are actually one of the better spots to unload him, they don't need cap space this year...

There were three elite QB prospects last year and they all went in the top 6. There are four this year and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them go into the top 7. The Lions moving on from Stafford honestly makes it likely IMO.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes. I'd hate to give up three 1sts but unloading Teddy and his contract would be a plus and getting back a couple of mid-round draft picks would help ease the blow. I'd be trying to hang onto #39 and offer our 3rd instead and trying to get that '23 4th from them up to a 3rd but at the end of the day, I'd do that deal as written.

I just really don't think the Texans will have any interest in Teddy at all. Imagine trading away 25 year old Cam and then having to sell your fanbase on Teddy Bridgewater. Oh wee mayne indeed.

They will build the OL and get a TE with this draft if this goes through. 

Houston would be stupid not to take this deal.  The Bridgewater factor should not be problematic for Houston--they need depth and he could Bridge them into a new QB.

43 minutes ago, t96 said:

Come on... That Alex Smith type hit has happened like twice in NFL history. Every player has this risk, do you think the Chiefs shouldn't have paid Mahomes because he could be "out of the game and you are still on the hook for him?" If we had 1st overall should we pass up Lawrence and trade down because "one hit could take him out of the game?" That's ridiculous. Going by that logic we should have try to have zero star players and try to build a team of 22 average or slightly above average players with good depth. That won't win you a SB. Don't even try to compare Matt fuging Kalil to an MVP caliber franchise QB who is 25 years old.

I prefer we try to get a rookie QB rather than pay a ton for Watson, but rarely does an opportunity come along to acquire an elite franchise QB this easily and many franchises wait decades for it (as we know all too well). If the team finds a deal they like and trades for Watson, I'm confident it'll be an outstanding move.

Those hits happen all the time. Teddy. Alex. Brady. Theisman. Cam. Luke. Delhomme. Really, in this game that's how most great players end their careers or end up as a shell of themselves. And then you're on the hook for those contracts. 

If we get Watson, I'll cheer him on. Not a problem. But there will always be the question if we'll be paying too much for him up and until that contract is over. There will also be the question of how bad that contract is going to hamstring the entire team over time.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

ESPN weighing in on what the Panthers may be thinking.

Would you do this?

20210129_085447.jpg

I've thought way to hard about this for something I don't have control of but yeah.  Technically its 3 first, but our first this year would be on a qb, or at least one of the 1st would be.  Sort of washes off one of the 1sts.  So for two non qb number 1 picks sure.  I sure would try to keep the 2nd this year and give them a 2nd next year because we need to rebuild our interior OL.

• Beer 1