• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We may not be drafting a QB with the 8th pick but maybe later...

musicman

Watching the Stafford trade and knowing we can not afford to trade for Watson makes me think. We can not afford to give up too many picks to move up (maybe 1 slot) and the top 3 QBs will be gone. If the Panthers don't love Lance (which is risky since he's only got 1 great year against not so great talent), I can not see them drafting a QB at 8. 

I think maybe they'll sign a back up plan for a year in case they don't a QB later in the 1st round or early rounds, but they have a decent QB in Teddy. I think they can trade back and get a Mac Jones or some one else while acquiring more picks. 

But trading back, getting more picks and building a solid foundation for the next few years and keep that turning until the perfect franchise QB is found, traded for or developed is my prediction. Getting a couple of more 2nd or 3rd round picks could be what we need to get us (along with a healthy CMC) to a fringe playoff team. Tepper said he's not looking to build a quick winner but a long sustainable and perennial winner. Having a good solid team all around is needed, especially on the O-line which we are hurting is needed. Maybe we don't get out franchise QB until 2023. Even if we drafted Mac Jones in the 2nd or 3rd round and he turned out great a year or so later, it would take a couple of years to build the rest of the team around him any way. 

The reward has to out way the risk. Look at teams where it set them back. The Bears are a good team but can't get over the hill because they went all in with Trubisky. Denver has been searching for 5 years. SF put too much in on an unproven Jimmy G. 

This is all speculation but I would rather have a winning team, year in and year out then take the risk on a pick at QB because that's what my fan base wants. Even with a decent QB, we can be 10-6 or better ever year and maybe once year it takes us to the top, but always searching for that 1 QB who can be there for 12-15 years, knowing we have a team around him. Also, my thought goes this way because the QB contracts are out of hand. Dallas is fearful about committing so much to Dak. Rams screwed themselves. Mahomes could have got more but he did it like Tom Brady so they can have a team around him. Not every QB is like that. 

Just my thoughts and would love to hear yours, not just bash this. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

If it is true the Panthers were deep in the Stafford talks, then I don't see any reason to think as of now we won't be super aggressive trying to trade up for a QB.

But what about the O-line and players we'll need over the next year or so, so this drafted  QB and the team can thrive? 

Edited by musicman

if we were willing to give up the 8th overall pick and then some for Matt Stafford it's a pretty good indicator of what were willing to spend for a QB

I frankly wouldn't be surprised if tepper more or less offered Houston a blank check for Watson

it sounds like you're talking more about what you want to do than what you think the team will do

• Pie 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I would move to 2 if that’s all it cost.  

I agree, because honestly Wilson is the only QB I would trade up for. Fields and Lance I have no problem with if they fall to 8.

Also, even though the chances are like .ooooo1%  that Urban would take Fields, as Lloyd told Harry, so you're saying there's a chance.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would move to 2 if that’s all it cost.  

That's what the Bears did. Most times drafting a QB is a gamble at any spot. Stafford was at least proven. If they don't get Watson without giving away the farm, I don't see it. If you're gonna give away the farm for #2, might as well go for #1, it's less of a gamble with Lawrence, but i don't see them giving away all this picks. Our new GM is proven to be a guy who accumulates picks. 

Everybody loves to suggest trading down and amassing draft picks. I recognize the value of additional picks given the margin of error that exists with most drafted players. However, it does not make sense when you are drafting this high. This especially true if you are seeking a QB. If anything, you trade up if you can find a trading partner and there will be a premium price to do so. It is supply and demand manifest.

The value of a franchise QB or a player that you believe has the skills etc. to be a franchise QB can hardly be overstated. Without one, you will always be on the outside looking in. If my reading is correct, the natives (PSL owners) are getting restless and it is getting harder and harder to justify  the PSL related expenses.

I think Tepper recognizes this. Hope is in short supply in "Panthers Land". With a potential franchise QB comes hope and hope drives revenue.

I don’t see why anyone thinks Lance wouldn’t last at least till 8th, hell I don’t think he should be top 10. Everyone has one year of film of this guy and he didn’t play but one game this past year. You seen how Newman looked, could be the same said for him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall further down first.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, musicman said:

Watching the Stafford trade and knowing we can not afford to trade for Watson makes me think. We can not afford to give up too many picks to move up (maybe 1 slot) and the top 3 QBs will be gone. If the Panthers don't love Lance (which is risky since he's only got 1 great year against not so great talent), I can not see them drafting a QB at 8. 

I think maybe they'll sign a back up plan for a year in case they don't a QB later in the 1st round or early rounds, but they have a decent QB in Teddy. I think they can trade back and get a Mac Jones or some one else while acquiring more picks. 

But trading back, getting more picks and building a solid foundation for the next few years and keep that turning until the perfect franchise QB is found, traded for or developed is my prediction. Getting a couple of more 2nd or 3rd round picks could be what we need to get us (along with a healthy CMC) to a fringe playoff team. Tepper said he's not looking to build a quick winner but a long sustainable and perennial winner. Having a good solid team all around is needed, especially on the O-line which we are hurting is needed. Maybe we don't get out franchise QB until 2023. Even if we drafted Mac Jones in the 2nd or 3rd round and he turned out great a year or so later, it would take a couple of years to build the rest of the team around him any way. 

The reward has to out way the risk. Look at teams where it set them back. The Bears are a good team but can't get over the hill because they went all in with Trubisky. Denver has been searching for 5 years. SF put too much in on an unproven Jimmy G. 

This is all speculation but I would rather have a winning team, year in and year out then take the risk on a pick at QB because that's what my fan base wants. Even with a decent QB, we can be 10-6 or better ever year and maybe once year it takes us to the top, but always searching for that 1 QB who can be there for 12-15 years, knowing we have a team around him. Also, my thought goes this way because the QB contracts are out of hand. Dallas is fearful about committing so much to Dak. Rams screwed themselves. Mahomes could have got more but he did it like Tom Brady so they can have a team around him. Not every QB is like that. 

Just my thoughts and would love to hear yours, not just bash this. 

I mean Wilson only has one good year against trash covid talent but suddenly people think he’s the 2nd best qb in the draft. Lance will be fine. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1