• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jameis Winston starting in NO next year?????

kungfoodude

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30827394/jameis-winston-new-orleans-saints-plans-drew-brees-retires-sean-payton-says

So much for Sean Payton's poker face. The New Orleans Saints coach didn't try to cloak the team's desire to re-sign free-agent quarterback Jameis Winston if Drew Brees retires as expected.

Payton spoke glowingly about Winston to ESPN and other media outlets while doing some Super Bowl week appearances on Wednesday, saying the Saints would like to re-sign him "sooner than later."

Payton also specifically told CBS Sports' Pick Six Podcast that he expects Brees to make an announcement "in the next week or two."

Payton has been saying for months that he thinks the Saints' next quarterback is already "in the building" -- a reference that includes both Winston and Taysom Hill. And he reiterated Wednesday that the Saints have a "pretty good vision" for both players.

Well this is an interesting development.....if it isn't a smokescreen.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The odd thing is that he is a free agent. I just don't see how this benefits them to make this statement.

The only thing I can think of is in whatever chatter they had with him, he said something about wanting to land somewhere that he would have the chance to start.  Payton said everything but that, but he was walking a fine line.

He may also have been trying to kiss Jameis' posterior, since they are so deep in cap hell they might have to pay him in postage stamps.  Given the QB market this year and the squeeze they are in, kissing up is worth a shot. 

What I did not hear him say is that "Taysom Hill looks like our starter."  And since he gave no appearance of extreme intoxication, I didn't expect to hear that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1