• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

jj watt released

electro's horse

30 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Wow. At an impasse with Watson, totally neglecting him and his wishes. But JJ ask for a trade and he gets released in a couple minutes to help him out. Weird. 

This is a COMPLETELY different situation.  Releasing or trading JJ was going to happen anyway.  The cap situation in Houston is dire.  It is nothing but a benefit to the Texans to have him off their cap.  The fact that they did so via release as opposed to a trade is in fact handling JJ Watt with respect.  He still had a year on his contract, they could have traded him to whomever they chose giving Watt no input to the situation.

Deshaun has too much guaranteed money left on his contract to even CONSIDER handling in this manner.  Forget about the value of the player.

40 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Wow. At an impasse with Watson, totally neglecting him and his wishes. But JJ ask for a trade and he gets released in a couple minutes to help him out. Weird. 

His in the final year of his contract and is 31 year old with diminishing abilities. Releasing him has zero negative cap impact on them and every cent owed to him this year they will save.

Would it kill you to have the slightest amount of knowledge of how these things work? It would save you from looking ignorant.

Edited by Moo Daeng

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and I have to think that Caserio is well aware that parting with a player of Watson's caliber is going to haunt his entire tenure there if they cannot find a replacement quickly. 

As a Panthers fan I do not want to see it, and obviously there are a few variables to make it happen, but if I am Caserio I call Dallas. I would try for a package that included a sign and trade of Prescott and the 10th pick from Dallas. 

Not sure what else may be included, but getting your new franchise QB, who is also still young, and adding the 10th overall pick in a draft where you currently have no 1st or 2nd round pick may be the best scenario. Also, this trade sends him to the NFC.

If I am Dallas I am interested as well. I get a top 5 QB in the league throwing to Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup with Zeke Elliott in the backfield too. The Cowboys had a lot of injuries on that Oline last year, those guys will be back to protect him, and they are a good group. The offense would be dynamic. 

• Beer 2

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To play devil's advocate, one is 25 and just entering his prime at the most important position in football. The other is on the wrong side of 30 and is a couple of years removed from elite level play while still getting elite level pay. It's not hard to understand the difference in approach, but it's also why I'm not willing to go full Adam Shefter and give credit where none is due.

Watson is going to get a haul if he is traded, but Watt could have secured at the very least a couple draft picks for a team that is going to be rebuilding and odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league the next couple seasons. 

8 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

His in the final year of his contract and is 31 year old with diminishing abilities. Releasing him has zero negative cap impact on them and every cent owed to him this year they will save.

Would it kill you to have the slightest amount of knowledge of how these things work? It would save you from looking ignorant.

Wow so a stud with an expiring contract? No team in win now mode would be interesting in acquiring that! 

u may want to be careful throwing around that word “ignorant” kiddo 

3 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Watson is going to get a haul if he is traded, but Watt could have secured at the very least a couple draft picks for a team that is going to be rebuilding and odds on favorite to be the worst team in the league the next couple seasons. 

He had a $17.5M base salary. I'm not sure anyone would've traded for that knowing that his release was likely imminent.

27 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Not sure the league sees JJ Watt like they did 5 years ago.  He is a mess physically

Houston probably explored a trade for a long time, saw it as a fruitless endeavor and just decided to go the "class" route, which is all they could salvage

• Pie 1