• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Falcon stat

Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

27 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

So who is paying that extra cash? The cap is based off revenue. They cant just pull the money out of thin air.

Should they make the richest owners foot the bill? 

I don't know?  You don't think the league as a whole doesn't have billions sitting around in an account somewhere for a rainy day?  Are NFL finances really that precarious, where they have one down year, and they cannot keep things afloat without drastically lowering the salary cap?

45 minutes ago, Snake said:

I was more pointing to a trade. Plenty of teams would give up multiple firsts for Ryan. 

Maybe 1 mid-late first but I’d say he’s comparable on the field to Stafford and 3 years older which I think would have a considerable impact on his value. Rams gave up 2 firsts but part of that price was to get rid of Goff’s contract. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Maybe 1 mid-late first but I’d say he’s comparable on the field to Stafford and 3 years older which I think would have a considerable impact on his value. Rams gave up 2 firsts but part of that price was to get rid of Goff’s contract. 

That's the thing, Ryan's age is a big concern. He'll be 36 next season and you wonder if he has more than 2-3 more seasons before he starts declining. Is that really worth "multiple" firsts? Maybe to a "win now" team but he has less value than Stafford, IMO.

It would be a different story were he 32-33.

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Something to keep in mind when looking at trading the farm for Watson and his contract...

2022 and 2023 are the big worries for us and his contract. That is also around the time that some of our current core will need deals. He is owed $35 mil in 2022 and $37 mil in 2023. The best hope is the new TV deal gives rise to the resumption of the salary cap going up. If not, or if the Rona hit is bigger than expected.....now you have to make tough decisions. 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, joemac said:

I don't know?  You don't think the league as a whole doesn't have billions sitting around in an account somewhere for a rainy day?  Are NFL finances really that precarious, where they have one down year, and they cannot keep things afloat without drastically lowering the salary cap?

The NFL is a non profit trade org. The teams themselves are essentially separate businesses. See Tepper sports and entertainment.

No, the league does not have billions lying around. It’s up to each team to save for a rainy day.

Many owners and families make their living off the profit from the team.

Not that they can’t withstand a bad year, some may not have the cash to float the extra cap.

Besides, it’s about their profit margins and the players agreements anyway. The players and owners have agreed to share in the revenue.

The pie shrinks and grows for each group equally.

52 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yeah but Goff wasn't a MVP and did pass for 4000 yards almost every season. He has also been to the SB and has actually been in the playoffs unlike Stafford who just padded his stats every year. 2 firsts isn't outside the realm of a QB of his talent. 

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

Falcons have 122 million in cap space this year wrapped up in 5 players.  That is stunning.  Remember, the cap will be somewhere between 180 to 188 mill, and they'll have 122 in just 5 players.

Add in D Jones at 12 mill, and that is 134 million in 6 players.

omg that is insane. Honestly the QB $$ is going to bust at some point when you have just one player taking up such a high percentage of the cap. There isn't a max contract like in the NBA b/c the NFL is stupid and always behind the times it seems. That's what happens when like everyone is conservative in the business.

They wake up and are like durr an issue where dat came from we haven't changed but one thing in decades here(talking about the money side of things not the rules changing willy nilly every year that's the opposite of the conservative problem)

NFL needs a max contract that could raise slowly like the salary cap.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Yeah but Goff wasn't a MVP and did pass for 4000 yards almost every season. He has also been to the SB and has actually been in the playoffs unlike Stafford who just padded his stats every year. 2 firsts isn't outside the realm of a QB of his talent. 

A lot more goes into it. Goff and Ryan have both had stacked offenses with some elite offensive coaching at times (Goff with McVay and Ryan with Shanahan, albeit briefly). Stafford has never had much help outside of Calvin Johnson. Going by the eye test I think it’s fair to say Goff on that contract is not a positive asset to have on your team right now. Stafford and Ryan are comparable in talent with Ryan being 3 years older and Stafford’s current contract being a bargain compared to Ryan’s. I highly doubt any team would consider 2 firsts for Ryan. Odds are we’ll never find out as they’ll just keep him.