• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Owner Involvement

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

There is no compelling evidence of Tepper's involvement beyond playing an active role in choosing Rhule and revamping the business side of the organization.

Both good decisions.

Get off his nuts already!

Fanspeak doesn't concern me.

Comments from analysts about Tepper being obsessed, willing to do anything, pay any price, etc... Those give me pause.

As mentioned above, his saying that we need a QB isn't a problem. Dictating what we do to get that QB is another story, especially if it overrides people who know more than him.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper admitted he was the one who suggested that Rivera switch to a 3-4.

And honestly, I don't care how "different a cat" he is. I do care whether he meddles as an owner.

I think the last thing anybody wants is the guy who said that Marty Hurney was one of the best talent evaluators in the league influencing football decisions; coaching, personnel or otherwise.

File this under: Recognizes and Corrects Errors.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fanspeak doesn't concern me.

Comments from analysts about Tepper being obsessed, willing to do anything, pay any price, etc... Those give me pause.

As mentioned above, his saying that we need a QB isn't a problem. Dictating what we do to get that QB is another story, especially if it overrides people who know more than him.

Is it worrisome?  Yes.  

Are Tepper's words taken out of context?  Are they even his words to begin with?  Who knows?

What we do know. 

Just about anyone with two eyes can see the answer at QB is NOT on the roster.  So Tepper possibly being emphatic about finding a new QB would be understandable. 

Also, sports analysts are constantly seeking attention, so sensationalism is often part of their schtick. 

Bottom line:  Hampering the Panthers future by signing a QB at "all costs" would seem like an irrational decision to me.  Tepper doesn't strike me as man that acts irrationally.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

At this point, all we can do is hope.

I've been pretty critical of Tepper over his 3 years of ownership, and will continue to do so until I see us start to make good decisions on a consistent basis.

That said, this front office and coaching staff leads me to think, that in the very least, maybe we got a few important decisions right...finally.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Is it worrisome?  Yes.  

Are Tepper's words taken out of context?  Are they even his words to begin with?  Who knows?

What we do know. 

Just about anyone with two eyes can see the answer at QB is NOT on the roster.  So Tepper possibly being emphatic about finding a new QB would be understandable. 

Also, sports analysts are constantly seeking attention, so sensationalism is often part of their schtick. 

Bottom line:  Hampering the Panthers future by signing a QB at "all costs" would seem like an irrational decision to me.  Tepper doesn't strike me as man that acts irrationally.

Great points. If he made an insane move and didn’t care what the coach/gm wanted that would be a terrible move. He has not done so, and we have no evidence that this will ever be something that he would do. Also SUGGESTING moving to a 3-4 with Rivera is much different than forcing him to do so. Rivera did this every time he felt like his job was on the line, he went out of character and tried new things, hoping it would save his job. This time it did not. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper admitted he was the one who suggested that Rivera switch to a 3-4.

I remember him saying that, but that obviously didn’t stop Rhule from switching back.

Tepper also said he is not going to be making player decisions.

Most owners have some voice in their org. It’s normal.

I don’t see any signs from Tep that he is a Snyder, Jones, McNair, Richardson level meddler.

If he stoops to that level, then he deserves the criticism. 

Let’s not forget. Despite his media silence, Richardson made Hurn give old fan favorites big contracts, and wouldn’t have drafted Cam if cam had any tattoos. The guy was heavily involved in many of those decisions. I know Christian and Cam told stories of meeting him 1 on 1 in his home prior to the draft to get his ‘approval’.

What has Tepper done wrong so far as an owner?  You probably could argue he kept RR a season too long but you can easily argue that keeping him at that time in his tenure was the right thing to do.  Same with the hurndog.  But other than that he got Rhule from the Giants, got Brady, is willing to spend money on the franchise and seems to be laser focused on building a winner. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Great points. If he made an insane move and didn’t care what the coach/gm wanted that would be a terrible move. He has not done so, and we have no evidence that this will ever be something that he would do. Also SUGGESTING moving to a 3-4 with Rivera is much different than forcing him to do so. Rivera did this every time he felt like his job was on the line, he went out of character and tried new things, hoping it would save his job. This time it did not. 

I don't have any concerns about what Tepper has done and said (or that we know he has said) thus far.

That aside, suggesting Rivera switch to a 3-4 was probably seen as directing him to do so by Rivera and Hurney.  The defense was stinking the joint up, Rivera had no answers other than more of the same, he probably knew he was on thin ice (as did Hurney), so anything Tepper said was likely seen as direction.  That is not Tepper's fault, that is the fault of two people who had no answers to offer other than doing more of the same and felt like they were fighting to hang onto their jobs (and rightly so).

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Is it worrisome?  Yes.  

What we do know. 

We don't know jack sh-t at this point.

That could be good...or not. Hopes for the best are valid. Unfortunately, concerns for the worst are as well.

Heck, we don't really know much about Fitterer just yet either.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have been concerned about Tepper and him potentially being a meddling/micromanaging owner. He definitely had shown some signs he could be that guy.

Let's hope it just doesn't happen.

We've got some people wanting it to happen with regard to Watson.

What I'd point out there are two things:

1) You never want the guy with the least amount of knowledge in the room to be the one dictating the decisions.

2) If it starts with Watson, highly unlikely it stops there.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2