• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Justin Fields: Closer Look/Why I think he could be the guy

davos

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we draft him, I have to think that we believe that his issues are coachable. The talent is definitely there.

I really see a more defined/muscular Steve McNair with a tighter throwing motion.  McNair's L position had a tilt to it and had a bit too much of a windup at times that Simms spoke to in that video.  Funny enough, McNair was also drafted high in the MLB draft to the Mariners.  Mahomes and Russell tend to do this as well but their playmaking, and to simply put it, top-QB gene make it a non-issue.  Murray does it as well.  All baseball dudes.

Fields has very well disciplined mechanics throwing motion wise for a baseball background.  The feet thing though, I see at times. 

If you look at 2019, he did, but then in 2020 he really started getting more patient in the pocket, and in big games, even more so.  Would stand confidently in that pocket and step into his throws at a collapsing line.  I saw some real grit on the field with him.  And more importantly, steady, consistent improvement during his college career.  The things Simms mentioned, Fields did that less and less each year. 

5 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Dude that is way too much.  The Dolphins will still get the same player at 8 that they would at 3 so I wouldnt go crazy.  I would wait to see what the jets do and then go from there. 

We need to keep every pick in this draft.  If the fins will not do it for next years 1rst then so be it.  Like I said they still will get one of the top 2 wr's at 8

In this years market? Idk about that. That would be next years first and next years third and our extra conditional pick this year. We wouldn't lose any picks this year and would have a massive amount of cap space next year. Also, if Teddy gets moved, that's another pick. It is going to take more than you think to move up. 

I hope miami is intent on stockpiling draft picks.  I can definitely see a scenario where Lawrence and Wilson go one and two. Trading up to 3 will be cheaper than any plausible Watson trade.  No extra players like Chinn or Burns to deplete our roster.  A first swap, a first and second next year and Teddy Bridgewater could seal the deal.  I like Fields he has the physical tools and played against top competition.  More battle tested than Wilson and Lance and more athletic than Mac and more refined than Mond.  

Ugh...here we go again. Look man this team has already danced with a guy that has "potential" and a "high ceiling.". He was a former #1 draft pick and also wore #1. If the Panthers choose to go with another guy like that. This regime better go ALL IN this time around and not try to ride the talent out as far as they can. Build around him and amplify those talents and reach that high ceiling. 

As for me personally, I don't want Fields. Dude seems like a bust to me especially when you get around to seeing his games that are against really really mediocre defenses. It's a gamble, much like all the draft choices but I rather they take a gamble on a safer prospect Or just go all out for Watson. 

Fields will not last past the Eagles at pick 6 I guarantee it. He probably won't last past ATL at 4.

If you want him you have to go up to three to guarantee it. Waiting till 5 is a HUGE risk imo

Edited by SOJA

8 hours ago, SOJA said:

Also I think OP is totally right that the Rhule recruitment cant be discounted

That may appear like protocol but these college programs do a lot of back end work with the QB recruits and can be a lot more involved than let on.

And that year was the first Rhule had in rebuilding that program from the ashes of Briles.  He did a LOTTTT of legwork and was doing more than typical college HC's do to bring kids into the school and program.

It just makes me wonder which kids Rhule already knows to a degree in this class.

Article from 2017:

https://www.si.com/college/2017/02/01/baylor-bears-recruiting-matt-rhule

• Pie 1

I'd prefer Wilson, but would definitely be cool with trading up for Justin Fields.  I think he's going to be a playmaker from Day 1.  He'll have his struggles but really the issues I see are just coaching him up related.  Nothing is a guarantee but like I said in another thread, he reminds me so much of Deshaun Watson.