• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Saints are still $55M over the cap after multiple moves

Ja  Rhule

2 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Even with restructuring and rearranging, the money is starting to catch up with them. The Drew Breed stunt will only save them money as long as he stays on the active roster for 40 more years. The second he retires,  it will all kick on at once.

They are not the first team to try and keep pushing the day of cap reckoning down the road, but contrary to popular belief, it always catches up eventually.  And when it does, it is not pretty.  The longer it is kicked down the road, the worse it gets.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Loomis has always been a cap magician, but man he's up against it this year. Gonna be interesting to watch.

Personally I wouldn't praise someone who knows how to push cap debt back a couple of years. That's like praising someone who maxes out all the credit cards he has just to stay afloat. Eventually you will hit a wall and field a team that just absolutely sucks for a few yrs because you mortgaged the future to stay relevant in the present. 

Just now, panthers1234 said:

Personally I wouldn't praise someone who knows how to push cap debt back a couple of years. That's like praising someone who maxes out all the credit cards he has just to stay afloat. Eventually you will hit a wall and field a team that just absolutely sucks for a few yrs because you mortgaged the future to stay relevant in the present. 

That's what people have been saying about the Saints forever and somehow they always figure it out anyway. I'm to the point of just admitting that they're a helluva lot better at cap management than we've been.

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The chickens will come to roost. The reckoning has already begun. The only thing that will save them is another helluva draft! And even then, they will probably suffer once Brees hangs it up.

What if they take it on the chin this season and then end up with a Howell or Rattler next year? Ya know, what we should've done last year.

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep. Said this in another thread as well. Like you, I’m no cap genius but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get them under again.

The key for them is that they’re not paying/restructuring bad players. Our issue is that we’re always trying to get rid of contracts where as they’re ok with extending the guys they have. 

I agree, but the moves are carrying more risk now.

The only 100% no brainers for me are Ramczyk and Lattimore. Both are young and proven but would command big contracts before they held all the cards in negotiations because of cap limitations. 

Outside those 2? Releasing the players means you have to replace them, likely with rookies, while they've drafted well theres always a chance they regress if Fontenot was responsible for even part of their success.

Potential drama with MT? At one point they were looking to move him and he played less games than CMC who people have labeled injury prone now. Another restructure on top of last year makes him untraceable for them. 

Cam Jordan's restructure means if his plays falls off a cliff going into his age 32 season it is going to be extremely costly to move on in either of the next two years. 

We'll see what happens...

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What if they take it on the chin this season and then end up with a Howell or Rattler next year? Ya know, what we should've done last year.

I can see it and having to get under the cap is the perfect excuse to dump players to try to tank. Players can still play hard but lack of talent will shine through.