• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need to be Talking to the Jets..

WOW!!

Everyone's panicking about all the QBs going off the board . People are harping on the fact that we should have pick three if we lost to Washington. But we could have easily won one or two more games and had a mid round pick .

The smartest thing to do is not panic and trade away an insane amount of picks for #2 . If there IS a run on qbs early that's going to push alot of other talent back down to us . Just stay at 8 and draft the #1 or #2 OT , #1 CB, #1 TE, #1 LB  . 

I'd pick up Slater or Sewell and just stack up oline first three picks like we did Dline last year.  And use the rest of the picks for role players on defense .

Or you could just go BPA and probably end up with a pretty nasty defense in 2021 . Get your QB in 2022 or beyond we won't HAVE to get one this year. That's my main point. 

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

Ideally there's a early run on QBs and WRs and we end up stealing Sewell. 

The WORST thing you can do is panic and pick Mac Jones because the top 4 QBs are gone and you feel the need to draft A QB and not THE QB.

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Ideally there's a early run on QBs and WRs and we end up stealing Sewell. 

The WORST thing you can do is panic and pick Mac Jones because the top 4 QBs are gone and you feel the need to draft A QB and not THE QB.

Or trade down to acquire picks in the next draft that can be used to get a QB. You definitely don’t want to go 2 years without a first to draft a QB who might bust...

I would be for it depending on what we would have to give up. I think him being on the field with Moore, Anderson, CMC, and our new Cardinals TE would be a good offense. Plus, the coaching of our staff is probably superior to what he has been getting. We could draft an LT in first round, OG in the third, and add another WR in the fourth or fifth. I’d love to add a legit CB before the season as well. If we managed all that, with the addition of Darnold, I could definitely see us in the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't hate the idea of getting Sam Darnold, as long as it's at the right price.

I wouldn't say it thrills me either.

He doesn't seem like a franchise quarterback to me, but he might be a better bridge than Bridgewater until we can get one.

I've thought about this often and at different times during the off season and I've fluctuated up and down quite a bit. This off season has been like no other for me personally as it's really forced me to question many ideas and philosophies or opinions due to how strange it's all been. 

Since we hired Rhule I was all in on building up slowly through the draft ad being smart with draft picks, not reaching too much and also trying to accumulate lots of picks and just slowly building and improving the roster. Not overpaying our players to resign just because they were our best player at that position or if the positional value didn't justify it. Those were things we had always done and I was tired of it and felt that it always hurt us. 

So early on, I had thought about us maybe going for Darnold if the Jets did did go QB as I thought Lance would be a reach at 8 and likely the only option possible and I don't really believe in trading up very much unless a player just looks really great. I thought for a mid round pick, bring him in to compete with Teddy and see what happened. I was never a big Darnold fan but thought he could be a good NFL QB and I'm big on not giving up on these QBs that are forced into bad situations because it's not fair, Like Testeverde (spelling?) or Tannehill or Cousins. Then the Watson train took off and I got caught up in it like many others. 

The there was the Stafford trade almost happening, that got me more excited about a QB. Then I started really liking Lance when I read his story and was impressed by how far he had came from a small town QB no one wanted to play QB and so went to NDS and was amazing and I could imagine him becoming a cinderella story. Then the Watson mess happened followed by the possibility the Jets want to trade their pick, I watched Wilson's pro days and saw the 49ers jump to 3 and now I'm totally lost as to what I feel/want Carolina to do and at this point I have no idea other than I'll trust their judgement and see what happens. 

Which ironically has brought me back full circle to just yesterday wondering if maybe the Panthers should try to bring in Darnold to compete with Teddy and see what happens and use the picks to just improve our team overall. At pick 8 we should be able to get an LT and OL in the first round are statistically the safest picks every draft. 

I've also started checking out Simms' evaluations from this year and the last few. As with everyone he's not always right but he's been pretty good and especially recently. He definitely goes against the general opinions and has some interesting takes. He has evaluated Mond higher than Lance and Fields. I do find that interesting because when I watched him at the senior bowl and did think he showed signs and was by far the best QB who played. 

I would now say take what we have at 8 and then either trade for Darnold or Draft Mond and see what happens and concentrate on improving the overall team. Could Darnold be our Tannehill? Could Mond be our Wilson? I have no idea but would it hurt to much to maybe spend a 3rd on either to find out? 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't hate the idea of getting Sam Darnold, as long as it's at the right price.

He doesn't seem like a franchise quarterback to me, but he might be a better bridge than Bridgewater until we can get one.

I just don't think we should be looking for just "better than Bridgewater" at this point. The only interest I have in Sam Darnold is that there may be some untapped potential there that we can get out of him that the Jets could not. Otherwise, I'd just assume start Will Grier and hope for a high enough pick next year to draft a legit franchise QB.

Let me start by saying that I have been against giving away draft capital. There are reasons to think otherwise. The salary cap is going to go up substantially in the next few years, we may not draft this high again, if we do it may be just like this year just outside the sweet spot, and patience is not on the side of the front office / fan base of having another poor year. Or not seeing any direction of improvement.

So, with that said what to do. We have the cap space or can create space to get DT, CB, and a LG through free agency. Make sure to keep this year's 2nd round pick to get a LT.That's not filling all the spots needed but it's a start. Whoever our front office and coaches feel is the QB for us go get them by trading with the Jets. Yes, it's going to hurt but with the future salary cap going up, and we are going to be in good shape. We will be in position to use free agency and not to have to use the draft for our base. And no I'm not saying to get back in cap hell. 

I think it is time to do something out of the ordinary because things are changing and if we don't address the QB position sooner rather than later we are going to be left in mediocrity. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

My favorite option at this point is sending a mid-rounder to SF for Garappolo. We're not going to tank like we should, so let's continue the MASH unit approach and keep loading up on guys likely to end up on IR early in the season and suck our way into Howell via stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...