• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gardner Minshew

FuFuLamePoo

This is the dark horse QB option I would like to bring in. Similar stats to Teddy last year just like five less INT’s. Same number of TD’s in less games. He’ll actually push the ball down the field and has a bit of athleticism to make plays off platform. Honestly there are QB’s far worse than Minshew that have starting gigs - and he’s about to be relegated to #2 as Jacksonville gets Trevor. 

I’m not saying he’s the long term answer, but he’s without a doubt better, more exciting, and cheaper than Teddy. I’d offer a fourth and maybe even a third, tbh.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

This is the dark horse QB option I would like to bring in. Similar stats to Teddy last year just like five less INT’s. Same number of TD’s in less games. He’ll actually push the ball down the field and has a bit of athleticism to make plays off platform. Honestly there are QB’s far worse than Minshew that have starting gigs - and he’s about to be relegated to #2 as Jacksonville gets Trevor. 

I’m not saying he’s the long term answer, but he’s without a doubt better, more exciting, and cheaper than Teddy. I’d offer a fourth and maybe even a third, tbh.

I just mentioned in the Wofford thread, that Minshew would be a legitimate option to unseat Teddy in a competition to lead the team, but it's far from a guarantee! Still, I'd give up a fourth for Minshew just to have some flexibility and hope. He may just provide the best value considering other options, and this isn't the first time I've discussed him as perhaps our best practical possibility! 

If we could find a trade partner for Teddy, then bring Minshew in I would be fairly happy. I believe Minshew at worst is equal to Teddy. The cap space created may give us a chance at signing a couple more free agents. If we are able to draft a QB, then Minshew is a better/cheaper option as a backup going forward.

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Why would the Jaguars trade him?

He's a very affordable backup who has proven he's more than capable of starting in the NFL. Those guys are gold dust. 

If you are drafting Lawrence, just go all in to build talent around him. If you can get a third rounder for him you can likely grab a guy who can develop into a year 2 or 3 starter. 

• Pie 1

He's a very affordable backup who has proven he's more than capable of starting in the NFL. Those guys are gold dust. 

My guess, the Jaguars just signed CJ Beathard to be their backup. Sign the free agent to replace Minshew, get a pick for Minshew. Another pick to build the team

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Fair point, but I’m sure he feels like he should have a chance to start somewhere. His rookie deal has to be up soon, right? Jags might take a mid round pick for him because once he’s an FA he’ll sign somewhere that gives him a chance to start. Jags could of course look at it as a chance to gain an asset to build around Trevor.

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Because they need all the picks they can get, and really have no need for Minshew, as they signed C.J. Beathard to realistically be the backup. 

• Pie 2

Why not just sign Alex smith and keep the draft picks? maybe we can get a good QB in the next few years? I think Alex smith could last a good 3-5 years in today’s NFL.  We can win with him if he can stay healthy. You can find franchise QBs in the mid-late first round pretty often.