• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers give Teddy permission to seek a trade

10 hours ago, chknwing said:

obviously the team wants Teddy to see what his real value is and then ultimately restructure and release.

I think the renegotiation is to keep him at a reasonable rate if he can't find another team  That sets the price. I wonder if new Orleans is interested now that Teddy knows our whole system. Not sure we should be ushering him out so quickly. We could use a cheap vet to mentor these guys. Just not 22 million for a timid starter.

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think the renegotiation is to keep him at a reasonable rate if he can't find another team  That sets the price. I wonder if new Orleans is interested now that Teddy knows our whole system. Not sure we should be ushering him out so quickly. We could use a cheap vet to mentor these guys. Just not 22 million for a timid starter.

While Teddy might end up being cut this June, I believe there is a good case for keeping him 1 more year as a backup.  Then trade/cut him after the 2021 season.  What would be the cap hit for 2022 if Teddy were cut next year, 5 mil?

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2
6 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

While Teddy might end up being cut this June, I believe there is a good case for keeping him 1 more year as a backup.  Then trade/cut him after the 2021 season.  What would be the cap hit for 2022 if Teddy were cut next year, 5 mil?

That would be my fall back position. Because unless you can trade him and only be on the hook for signing bonuses and guaranteed money, you end up eating a ton of dead cap if you cut him.

• Pie 1
13 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Why would another team give Teddy a chance to start when the Panthers, who were a bad team last season, are saying he wasn't good enough for them?

Because every team differs in scheme. What wasn't good for the goose could be great for the gander...

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Ultimately I think Teddy will be cut and designated as a post June 1st cut. He would be a $15 million dead cap this year but we would save almost $8 million in cap. 

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Edited by Shocker

Yeah I think Teddy will end up with the Saints again after we cut him. When Teddy is on a loaded team with brilliant coaches he can come off the bench and really do well. I think he'll wrap up his career as a top quality backup.

Speaking up backup quality QBs, Darnold should be facing the same situation soon enough as well.

Edited by pantherj

9 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Yeah I think Teddy will end up with the Saints again after we cut him. When Teddy is on a loaded team with brilliant coaches he can come off the bench and really do well. I think he'll wrap up his career as a top quality backup.

Speaking up backup quality QBs, Darnold should be facing the same situation soon enough as well.

Yeah, apparently we are a big payday for every future journeyman backup QB now.

• Flames 1