Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I hate how people act like Tannehill was better his first two years than Darnold. He wasn't. Only in year 3 did he play better than Darnold and he wasn't coached by Gase. He also had a better player at every skilled offensive position in his year 3 and he was 3 years older than Darnold. Darnold wasn't actually "bad" until last year. He actually had the same improvement in year 2 that Tannehill had and finished year 2 well. The Jets then decided to tank in 2020.

It pains me when people talk bad about Herndon (who'd walk into our TE room and be the man tomorrow) and Berrios (who'd happily fit into our WR corps as a slot guy). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

All I'm getting from this thread are like 6 cases in half a century (Jim Plunkett). That's literally the half of the NFL's existence. Outlook is not so good!

This place loves to hang onto outliers to justify moves. The odds are heavily stacked against Darnold and if you mention this they attack you for being a pessimist when it’s just living in reality. 
 

if people would cut off emotions and try to look at moves from an outside perspective rather then as a hardcore fan of this team they’d be better off instead of setting themselves up for immense disappointment. That’s not to say Darnold without a doubt can’t be good for this team. He could, but history shows the odds are insanely stacked against him.

I dunno how anyone can feel optimistic about this franchise right now. We suck. Last winning season coming in 2017. I think rhule is a good coach but they need to figure out this qb situation quickly because before they know it it’ll be half a decade without a franchise qb and their asses will be on the hot seat.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

All I'm getting from this thread are like 6 cases in half a century (Jim Plunkett). That's literally the half of the NFL's existence. Outlook is not so good!

Well, since your ignorance precedes you, how about naming a QB who had a winning record that got cut and went to a crap team and won a Super Bowl.

Bonus points if you can find one that wasn't a top 10 pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

All I'm getting from this thread are like 6 cases in half a century (Jim Plunkett). That's literally the half of the NFL's existence. Outlook is not so good!

Not True. I can name 9 guys who won Super Bowls with their 2nd teams after failing with the team that drafted them/signed them out of college.

John Unitas, Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Steve YoungBrett Favre, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer,  Kurt Warner.

That's just Super Bowl winners. Other guys have moved to other teams and performed well if you look at the entire history of the league.

Sonny Jurgenson was booed out of Philadelphia and traded to a division rival in Washington. By the end of his career he was a Hall of Fame QB.

His successor in Washington, Billy Kilmer, joined the team after several unaccomplished years with Saints early in his career. The Redskins never won a title with him in the 1970's, but they were  perennial playoff team/playoff threat the entire decade and made the Super bowl in 1972 (where the were actually the favorite against the undefeated Miami 14-0 team...can you believe that?)

Rich Gannon won an MVP years with his 3rd team  (the Raiders) years after being drafted. Ron Jaworki won an MVP with his 2nd team in 1980 and took his team to a Super Bowl that year.

We are all familiar with how Brees flourished in New Orleans under Sean Payton. Jake Delhomme took us the playoffs 3 times and almost won a Super Bowl.  Tannehill has flourished with the Titans after getting away from Gase.

You can even throw Doug Flutie (Heisman Winner) into this mix. He was considered a flop when he came to the NFL. He had to leave the league to play in the CFL for years. When he came back to the NFL he was more than serviceable for years with several teams.

No one is saying that Darnold is the ultimate answer to our QB question in Carolina. But, it is "possible" that he can turn his career around. We didn't give up a lot to get him. We're surrounding him with a stronger supporting cast than he had in NY. All of the guys I mentioned above were a lot older than 23 when they hit their stride in the NFL. Let's see how things pan out. If they don't we can get a QB after the 2021 season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

Not True. I can name 9 guys who won Super Bowls with their 2nd teams after failing with the team that drafted them/signed them out of college.

John Unitas, Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Steve YoungBrett Favre, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer,  Kurt Warner.

That's just Super Bowl winners. Other guys have moved to other teams and performed well if you look at the entire history of the league.

Sonny Jurgenson was booed out of Philadelphia and traded to a division rival in Washington. By the end of his career he was a Hall of Fame QB.

His successor in Washington, Billy Kilmer, joined the team after several unaccomplished years with Saints early in his career. The Redskins never won a title with him in the 1970's, but they were  perennial playoff team/playoff threat the entire decade and made the Super bowl in 1972 (where the were actually the favorite against the undefeated Miami 14-0 team...can you believe that?)

Rich Gannon won an MVP years with his 3rd team  (the Raiders) years after being drafted. Ron Jaworki won an MVP with his 2nd team in 1980 and took his team to a Super Bowl that year.

We are all familiar with how Brees flourished in New Orleans under Sean Payton. Jake Delhomme took us the playoffs 3 times and almost won a Super Bowl.  Tannehill has flourished with the Titans after getting away from Gase.

You can even throw Doug Flutie (Heisman Winner) into this mix. He was considered a flop when he came to the NFL. He had to leave the league to play in the CFL for years. When he came back to the NFL he was more than serviceable for years with several teams.

No one is saying that Darnold is the ultimate answer to our QB question in Carolina. But, it is "possible" that he can turn his career around. We didn't give up a lot to get him. We're surrounding him with a stronger supporting cast than he had in NY. All of the guys I mentioned above were a lot older than 23 when they hit their stride in the NFL. Let's see how things pan out. If they don't we can get a QB after the 2021 season.

You know your making his point for him. Your naming guys who played when the majority of today’s players weren’t even alive.

 

Most of the guys you named wouldn’t fit OP criteria. Unitas was like 9th round pick or something like that, Warner wasn’t even drafted. Your just naming names at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, bobowilson said:

I've seen Ryan Tannehill cited, but he was actually above average in on a terrible Miami team.

In his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th season, he passed for over 4000 yards.   His passer rating was always in the 90s, and while not a top tier QB, you couldn't really call him a bust.  Tannehill went from pretty good to better, so I would never compare him to Darnold's disastrous start.

Drew Brees was also very good in San Diego;  are there any examples we can use to have hope for Darnold?

No there aren’t any. But this board is filled with blind sheep that swallow anything the panthers put in front of them, that’s why they shitted on your post. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

This place loves to hang onto outliers to justify moves. The odds are heavily stacked against Darnold and if you mention this they attack you for being a pessimist when it’s just living in reality. 
 

if people would cut off emotions and try to look at moves from an outside perspective rather then as a hardcore fan of this team they’d be better off instead of setting themselves up for immense disappointment. That’s not to say Darnold without a doubt can’t be good for this team. He could, but history shows the odds are insanely stacked against him.

I dunno how anyone can feel optimistic about this franchise right now. We suck. Last winning season coming in 2017. I think rhule is a good coach but they need to figure out this qb situation quickly because before they know it it’ll be half a decade without a franchise qb and their asses will be on the hot seat.

This might be the best post ever written here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reasons he might turn it around:

  • He's still super duper young (23 almost 24). Younger than Tannehill was when he was drafted.
  • Gase didn't start screwing up Tannehill until year 4 of his career. Gase got to Darnold year 2.
  • Year 1 in NJ he had a lame duck HC.
  • Darnold didn't have a QB coach with the Jets
  • The Jets, as an organization, are bottom 3 all time in the NFL.
  • Lack of supporting cast around him in NJ
  • Hard working kid that WANTS to improve
  • Has shown he can diagnose defenses pre snap and make adjustments
  • Solid improvisational skills
  • Our Coaching staff is far better than he's ever had in NJ

Reasons he might continue to suck:

  • Gase might have ruined him
  • Lacks basic fundamentals at the position
  • Mechanics still need work
  • Bad habits might be ingrained at this point
  • Could have been David Carr'd by the horrible line he had the past 3 years.
  • Accuracy issues

Whole bunch of hypotheticals on both sides of the argument. Lord knows what will happen. I'm rooting for the kid though. I'd love for him to turn his career around here in Carolina and want him to succeed. 

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brett Favre, Steve Young, Alex Smith, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon and Jim Plunkett among others.

And Drew Brees wasn't anything special in San Diego. That's why they drafted Philip Rivers.

This is true for his early career in San Diego, but he started 2 full season after drafting Rivers and was a top 5 QB in those years. Not exactly the same as a QB changing teams and then having success like we're hoping happens with Darnold. Brees had tremendous success for 2 seasons in San Diego before going to NO, they let him walk because of the shoulder injury concern not because he struggled like Darnold has.

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

You know your making his point for him. Your naming guys who played when the majority of today’s players weren’t even alive.

 

Most of the guys you named wouldn’t fit OP criteria. Unitas was like 9th round pick or something like that, Warner wasn’t even drafted. Your just naming names at this point.

I'm not just naming names. I answered his challenge posed in the post.

The original post was What are some examples of QBs who were once considered huge busts, but revived their career on another team?.

I named 9 guys who won SB's after being discarded by their original teams, Five of whom (Unitas, Dawson, Young, Favre, and Warner) are in the Hall of Fame. Plunkett won't make the Hall, but he was 2-0 in Super Bowl games. Drew Brees is a lock to make the HoF  and is in fact the 10th guy to win a SB with his 2nd team. I don't see how I overlooked him in the first place.

Ron Jarworski and Rich Gannon took their teams to SB births during their MVP seasons.

Sonny Jurgenson was the all-time passer when he retired.

A question was posed on the board and I named at least 15 guys who would qualify.

I wouldn't have made the Darnold deal, but I am hoping to see if he can have a rebound in Carolina... and it's not like this deal with set us back for years if he bombs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...