• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Intrigued by Fields

ncfan

7 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Those picks were wasted Bre second you used them to get Sam Darnold. 

You're thinking about it all wrong.

We gave up three picks for Darnold:  2nd, 4th and 6th.  That's really not even the equivalent of a 1st round pick.  Let's just say it's a high second.  We then proceed to pick Fields, assuming he is there at 8.  All in, we've spent a high second and a high first for TWO chances at uncovering a franchise QB.

Odds say that about 50% of first round QB's "make it".  We end up with two, and it didn't even cost us two first round picks.  That's a win.  No other way to look at it.

The only "bad" outcome (in the above scenario) is if both guys fail.  That's always a chance with QB's!  But you still gotta keep punching your ticket until you get lucky.  Every other scenario is a win.  Three out of four outcomes are to our favor . . . yea, I'll roll those dice.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

58 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get that but how far we going back and for what.  Sewell and Slater are day one starters at LT.  The next tier not so much.

There were rumors before that they liked Darrisaw.  I could handle a trade down to get a bunch of other picks as long as it leaves in the 13-15 range to get Darrisaw.  There are no real day on starters out of the next tier of LT’s.  

Unless they thin Greg Little is gonna miraculously show up.  That’s not a gamble I want to take.  

9 minutes ago, BrianS said:

You're thinking about it all wrong.

We gave up three picks for Darnold:  2nd, 4th and 6th.  That's really not even the equivalent of a 1st round pick.  Let's just say it's a high second.  We then proceed to pick Fields, assuming he is there at 8.  All in, we've spent a high second and a high first for TWO chances at uncovering a franchise QB.

Odds say that about 50% of first round QB's "make it".  We end up with two, and it didn't even cost us two first round picks.  That's a win.  No other way to look at it.

The only "bad" outcome (in the above scenario) is if both guys fail.  That's always a chance with QB's!  But you still gotta keep punching your ticket until you get lucky.  Every other scenario is a win.  Three out of four outcomes are to our favor . . . yea, I'll roll those dice.

It's not even the equivalent of our third round pick this year - if you believe in the theory that future picks are less valuable (which many NFL teams do).

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

There were rumors before that they liked Darrisaw.  I could handle a trade down to get a bunch of other picks as long as it leaves in the 13-15 range to get Darrisaw.  There are no real day on starters out of the next tier of LT’s.  

Unless they thin Greg Little is gonna miraculously show up.  That’s not a gamble I want to take.  

The knock on Darrisaw being lackadaisical and lazy at times makes me want to hard pass.  Sewell and Slater both want to kill you.  Darrisaw just does enough and then stops.  Kiper interviewed him on Saturday and point blank asked him about his reputation and darrisaw said it was "the haters".  Hard fuging pass. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Darrisaw has better tools than either Sewell or Slater for LT.

He's got by at VT by just doing enough. If you think you can improve that mentality with coaching / culture then he's going to be a hell of a player. If not then he's going to be a bust - that lackadaisical style won't fly in the NFL for long.

He's never going to be a people mover like Sewell, but in a zone blocking scheme you don't need him to be. 

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Darrisaw has better tools than either Sewell or Slater for LT.

He's got by at VT by just doing enough. If you think you can improve that mentality with coaching / culture then he's going to be a hell of a player. If not then he's going to be a bust - that lackadaisical style won't fly in the NFL for long.

He's never going to be a people mover like Sewell, but in a zone blocking scheme you don't need him to be. 

At pick 15 or so why would you want to handcuff yourself to a headache like that unneedlessly?   Why not get slater at 8 and know what you have and be fuging done with it.  No worries, no trying to improve his mentality, just pick him and let him start for a decade.  It makes no sense

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get that but how far we going back and for what.  Sewell and Slater are day one starters at LT.  The next tier not so much.

If we trade back, I think that there is an important lesson to be learned as a football fan; you can't always take what the talking heads are saying and run with it. There is a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the entire draft process, and all the mocks pro days, Combine, rumors and lies tend to lend themselves to causing stirs and outright manias that are more noise than anything else to serious evaluators. When you start looking at that tape, you try and isolate the traits of particular prospects, see how they would fit culturally and schematically with your team, look at the cost-value analysis, and see how certain players/moves will fit within your overall plan for building the team. For example, adding one Sewell or one Pitts may not be as good as adding a Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz and a Pat Freiermuth. 

Because evaluating is largely an imperfect science, and many players will develop as well as any other star at the top of a draft over a certain period of time, I don't mind getting several value picks for the price of one supposed top tier guy.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

At pick 15 or so why would you want to handcuff yourself to a headache like that unneedlessly?   Why not get slater at 8 and know what you have and be fuging done with it.  No worries, no trying to improve his mentality, just pick him and let him start for a decade.  It makes no sense

Well that's where talent evaluation and actually sitting in a room with the guy does for you.

Darrisaw had a terrible HC in College. Maybe you can unlock that potential. 

I have seen all the Mocks that say Fields falls to 8, but I can't buy that either. I guess it will come down to the interviews. The only way I see him falling is if Lance and Jones just kill their Interviews, and he says something like, "What's a playbook? Can't I just color instead?".