• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting quote on Sam Darnold from the Athletic article grading all QB’s in this draft class

WarPanthers89

1 hour ago, firefox1234 said:

I get that some folks think this is just another Teddy 2.0 but I don’t know why people feel the need to be complete spoil sports and trash anyone who has a bit of optimism. Why not just go with the wait and see approach? This is the offseason. The only time of the year you can and should be as optimistic as possible.

Because it's actually the reverse. You cannot post even a somewhat critical or reasonable opinion, even backed with stats, links to games, clips, analysis, and not have every fool @you with platitudes, a strawman, and then making fun of you for not literally being a 'believer'.

Also, again it's a not just a second round pick it's 3 picks + cap, and a large amount of cap space if we pick up his option. If he doesn't work out, it's not a small gamble. Why? You may ask (probably not because that requires some thought), we would be going into next off-season with a low amount of cap space (with several big contracts looming), few picks to use for trades, and a lot less options at finding a QB.

You think trading up this year is bad? Wait until there's 1, maybe 2 QB in the entire draft worth taking.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I’m not specifically pointing at you but the tone of this place in general for the last year. I’ve seen Tepper is going to ruin this franchise, Rhule is in over his head and so on for a year now. 

I also saw that Snow was a terrible pick for DC that was only here because he was a comfort blanket for Rhule. You don’t believe in Darnold. That’s fair. You think the trade was bad. That I caution because the alternative would have been keeping Teddy or likely trading lots of capital for yet another unproven rookie that has a near likelihood of being Darnold anyway.

I’m just fatigued with constant negativity concerning how stupid this franchise is around here. That theme hasn’t shut up since we signed Teddy. And true, that was clearly a bad signing. But as I keep repeating, everyone expected this team to need 3-4 years to rebuild before being competitive when we signed Rhule. It’s been one year. The defense was not very talented and punched above their weight. If CMC had been healthy all year we probably win another game or two. We vastly exceeded expectations. 

I just want the moaning to stop for two months ffs. We have had a solid FA filling holes, the draft is coming up. I just would like to get excited about what’s coming in five days, you know? I’m not saying you, but this place in general. I come here because I love talking football but this has become the most emo sports forum I’ve ever been a part of.

I have just recently discovered the ignore posts option. I try to use it sparingly but if I see that a person seems to only express negative views and they bring me down then with a simple click they go away and I am surrounded by mostly positive and insightful fans. It makes the discussions here more pleasant. I highly recommend it. 

• Pie 2

I’m a season ticket holder....very invested in the team 

at the end of the day, it’s Fitterer and Rhule’s ass if this Darnold experiment bombs 

I’ll say in this thread what I said in another, if the HC AND GM both agree that Fields is the QB of the future and can work in Brady’s system or in whatever system remains when Brady leaves, take him.

It is as simple as that 

as for Darnold, it hedged their bets and allows them to get rid of Teddy.  Whatever really went in with Teddy, it’s a full and total break.  They don’t want him here period 

As for Darnold, he now has to produce.  No more excuses as there were in college and pros.  Produce or he will follow Teddy out the door and if Matt andScott don’t get it right, they are next 

45 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I have just recently discovered the ignore posts option. I try to use it sparingly but if I see that a person seems to only express negative views and they bring me down then with a simple click they go away and I am surrounded by mostly positive and insightful fans. It makes the discussions here more pleasant. I highly recommend it. 

Tbh i started using ignore again and now there's hardly anything going on since most of the decent posters have been replaced by edgelord alts 😞

12 minutes ago, Icege said:

Tbh i started using ignore again and now there's hardly anything going on since most of the decent posters have been replaced by edgelord alts 😞

Well I don't use it on people who have different opinions than I do, most are insightful and make me reconsider my own opinions but there are a small few that just go on every thread and keep pushing the same negative things over and over. When someone does that, it starts to feel like trolling to me because it's the same basic argument again and again and it feels like an attack and it's not interesting anymore. Sometimes I began to doubt they are even fans. If I reach that point then I click. But there are lots of nice posters here, even the ones I sometimes disagree with I sometimes do agree with or can at least understand their views. 

2 hours ago, SmartyHurney4 said:

Because it's actually the reverse. You cannot post even a somewhat critical or reasonable opinion, even backed with stats, links to games, clips, analysis, and not have every fool @you with platitudes, a strawman, and then making fun of you for not literally being a 'believer'.

Also, again it's a not just a second round pick it's 3 picks + cap, and a large amount of cap space if we pick up his option. If he doesn't work out, it's not a small gamble. Why? You may ask (probably not because that requires some thought), we would be going into next off-season with a low amount of cap space (with several big contracts looming), few picks to use for trades, and a lot less options at finding a QB.

You think trading up this year is bad? Wait until there's 1, maybe 2 QB in the entire draft worth taking.

So you’re saying you would have trotted Teddy out there again this year or traded 3 firsts and more for third best qb. You don’t look real smart pal!

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Ok, so one anonymous exec says Bradford would be QB1 in this class and one other says QB2 and that’s more proof? It’s not even a real “action”, it’s just an blurb with no consequence. Heck, it could be an old grunge to make Jets look even worse.

People just want to read into things with Panthers colored glasses. Now that Bradford is here (I hope he succeeds), we’re automatically believing a minority opinion that Bradford was the highest ranked QB in a decade. We’ve seen multiple articles about how highly rated Lawrence is and we never saw that for Darnold.

If you take the consensus, to get rid of the Marty’s and Dave’s, this is a very highly touted QB class, period. The fact that SF made that trade supports that consensus. Simple as that, even if I wouldn’t have made that trade. That said like KC’s trade for Brown being a big overpay, SF believes they are one QB away so they overpaid, but again the overpay doesn’t diminish their opinion that the QB3 in this class is worth pick 3.

And how many times have highly touted classes not panned out? How many times have sure fire, can't miss prospects not panned out? Especially QBs? NFL history is littered with prospects and classes that didn't live up to the hype. SF just didn't overpay, they blew up the market. A few years ago that trade was for the number one QB prospect. Now it is for third best. SF screwed over every other team for years to come.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

What does that have to do with anything? We all know there are no guarantees, but that doesn’t mean this is a bad QB class. It’s as highly touted as a full class has been in a long time.

Your statement in bold is exactly what I am saying about this class. SF traded what would normally be enough to get the top pick for the 3rd QB. Yep, that pretty much shows that this is a highly thought of class. Maybe they made a mistake. Some trade ups work, some don’t. All that said, how many highly touted QB classes have had 5 QBs discussed as top 10 to top 15 picks. This is not a bad class even if one guy out there (would be funny if it was Fitterer) thinks Darnold is a better prospect than Lawrence, which is a lonely island to be on.

Just because fans and the media have hyped the class doesn't mean they are that good or will live up to the hype. Next year will have guys hyped up just like this year.

Instead of showing that this is a highly thought of class by the NFL, it could show that SF is desperate and being stupid.

Why do you keep bringing up Darnold in this discussion? I've never once mentioned him.

3 hours ago, SmartyHurney4 said:

Well what exactly would have done?

I tried reading through this thread. After page 3, I'm done reading the criminal takes on our option "D" QB that at best will be a "journeyman".  

There is no way that 5 QBs from this draft are going to work out. I'd be impressed if 2 of them are still starting beyond their rookie deals. 

I'll take Darnold over any QB that is available at 8. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1