• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sam Darnold a 1-Year Rental?

SizzleBuzz

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

new browns. stop the bleeding. cut him and teddy. trade back. go 0-17. draft whoever. then do it again the year after and the year after. b/c it's already leaning that direction under tepper.

I see that you've fully embraced the dark side (like one of the Huddle's most active mods, not mentioning any names...).

Considering Darnold by all accounts was a last resort move based on who else we went after it absolutely stands to reason that if a quarterback we like falls in the draft he will be the selection and they will compete in camp. What people need to consider are the ramifications of the failure in the Teddy move. The front office does not want to find themselves backed into a corner like that again without a viable fallback if avoidable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The "plan" could easily be to make the decision after the draft.  I don't have a problem with us picking up his fifth year.  What I would have a problem with is extending him before we see whether he is a victim of the Jets / Gase or a flop.

18 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I see that you've fully embraced the dark side (like one of the Huddle's most active mods, not mentioning any names...).

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't summon the crew when the positive replies are too high. It's always the same group that shows up when the mood in a thread is optimistic. They don't post otherwise 

Edited by Moo Daeng

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't summon the crew when the positive replies are too high. It's always the same group that shows up when the mood in a thread is optimistic. They don't post otherwise 

Those with opposing views need to find common ground which is we all want a winning team and a return to relevancy. How we get there is up in the air but we should not seek to push away anyone who is too optimistic or pessimistic if they are willing to be rational. I cannot blame anyone for being apprehensive about the approach as of late. I am a Panthers fan but I can say without question we face planted after the Cam release. Bridgewater was a panic signing and it hurt us bad. People can talk about how it isn't as bad of a contract all they like but we wasted a critical year and didn't even secure a top five pick for our troubles. We must learn from these gaffes or we could find ourselves in a loop like other failed franchises over the last decade some of which are only just now finding some footing in the league.

• Beer 1

I do have a question I want someone to explain to me like I'm six. What's the point in exercising Darnold's fifth year option at all? As someone that supported the trade, I never got why it seemed like giving him the fifth year was inevitable. Wouldn't it be like $20 million a year? If he's bad next year and we're stuck with that, it would be a bad situation. Why not just see how he plays this year? If he plays well, then extend him. If not, cut your losses and not be on the hook for $20 million.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I do have a question I want someone to explain to me like I'm six. What's the point in exercising Darnold's fifth year option at all? As someone that supported the trade, I never got why it seemed like giving him the fifth year was inevitable. Wouldn't it be like $20 million a year? If he's bad next year and we're stuck with that, it would be a bad situation. Why not just see how he plays this year? If he plays well, then extend him. If not, cut your losses and not be on the hook for $20 million.

Because if he plays well he is a free agent and we probably would have to franchise him.  A la moton.  Then once we franchise he is going to want a market deal which is going to be substantial once the cap moves up.  Picking up the option only puts us on the hook for 18ish for the last year.  So that gives us two years to figure things out.  Gives us breathing room per se.

What if he shows improvement but still not there yet.  Say 8 wins and improves on all his career numbers.  With no 5th year option he is going to want a 5 year deal or just play on the franchise tag.  We cannot invest 5 years on one average/above avg year.  The 5th option gives us an additional year on a "cheap" deal to evaluate

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

This.  Don't commit until he's shown enough on the field (and mind you, they'd be making this decision without much first hand experience of him in person in meeting rooms and OTAs, since voluntary offseason workouts just started last week I believe) to warrant the 5th year cost, which I believe is $18 or $19MM.

The only reason I can possibly see them exercising it is if they are worried that if he performs well, he'll want to test the free agency market instead of resigning after this coming year. But if that's his intent, then he'd still test it after his fifth year. So that doesn't really make sense to me either. You're still in the same "still looking for a long term solution at QB" situation, whether it be next year or the year after.