Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Matt Rhule “I thought Scott was masterful today”


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Just by looking at first round grades, the media keeps reiterating that Fields dropped to us and wasn’t drafted.   It is not just the fans, it’s basically everyone.

Oh no, not the media AND the fans! 

Passing on Fields was the correct move. He was never as highly regarded by the NFL as he was by the fanboys and media. I think he has a reasonable chance of being a good starter, but he's pretty obviously not the slam dunk franchise QB that the media and casual fan thinks he is.

He wasn’t worth blowing another asset on a QB before Darnold steps on the field here.

 

  • Pie 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Oh no, not the media AND the fans! 

Passing on Fields was the correct move. He was never as highly regarded by the NFL as he was by the fanboys and media. I think he has a reasonable chance of being a good starter, but he's pretty obviously not the slam dunk franchise QB that the media and casual fan thinks he is.

He wasn’t worth blowing another asset on a QB before Darnold steps on the field here.

 

There is a reason he fell like he did. There is a reason the 49ers didn't even have him in their conversation. I swear most of the people who were crying about him just saw some mock drafts from early in the year and assumed nothing can change. At one point I can remember Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg being mocked as #1 overall picks; when more games are played and more film is available some people fall.

I'm not saying Fields has no chance of turning out well, but he was by far my least favorite of the big 5. 

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I wonder how many fans hating on the draft the panthers had is entirely because they didnt take Fields.  I also wonder if those fans will change their tune if Sam doesn't well and/or Fields isnt the superstar they seem to think hes guaranteed to be.

All if not most of them develop a love crush on Fields.. And will never like this draft until Fields prove to be the avg. QB prospect I think he truly was... Oh and not grabbing their favorite OT in the 2nd didn't help..

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Just by looking at first round grades, the media keeps reiterating that Fields dropped to us and wasn’t drafted.   It is not just the fans, it’s basically everyone.

The same people would be critical of us drafting Fields. “Too many needs. Not giving Darnold a fair chance. Etc...”

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The same people would be critical of us drafting Fields. “Too many needs. Not giving Darnold a fair chance. Etc...”

If we drafted Fields they would have been wanting to trade Darnold for better assets then we did and mad when we didn't get anywhere near what we gave for him... 

End of the day they hate and Darnold and would have bitched just to bitch..

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

What I like is they merge RAS scores with what they see on tape. This isn’t picking athletes just for the sake of being supremely athletic. They have to match that elite athleticism with quality football play. 

Bingo!  I'm starting to see what part of the "process" involves.  I'm intrigued to see how this translates to the field.

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I  can't agree with you and I can't disagree with you.

Outside looking in you have to say we passed on some names that should have gotten attention. Inside looking out maybe they got players that were way, way, way undervalued.

We have a ton of late round picks, picks of people generally that aren't going to make it to the field and possibly not to the final roster. On the other hand, they could be saying it's time to say goodbye to any third or fourth year players that are just living on the special teams squad and bringing in new, cheaper, blood. 

We've got to trust in the process, I know. We've got to post better than 5-11, though, this too I know. 

I get they wanted picks and I get Fit thinks players in rounds 2-7 are basically similar but holy fug there was a ton of line talent just sitting there in the mid to late 2nd.  Instead of moving down I would have used 39 on the line and then moved back up to get someone like Humphrey that fell. 

 

I guess time will tell but after sleeping on it and looking at the rounds selection it looks like we just tried to get cute and missed out on some talent.  I mean a wr that doesnt have high end speed and gets hurt a lot and a tight end that doesnt catch? 

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Just by looking at first round grades, the media keeps reiterating that Fields dropped to us and wasn’t drafted.   It is not just the fans, it’s basically everyone.

I don't give a damn about their opinions. 

Only ones that matter are the ones that made the decision.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get they wanted picks and I get Fit thinks players in rounds 2-7 are basically similar but holy fug there was a ton of line talent just sitting there in the mid to late 2nd.  Instead of moving down I would have used 39 on the line and then moved back up to get someone like Humphrey that fell. 

 

I guess time will tell but after sleeping on it and looking at the rounds selection it looks like we just tried to get cute and missed out on some talent.  I mean a wr that doesnt have high end speed and gets hurt a lot and a tight end that doesnt catch? 

It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know what your talking about.  

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get they wanted picks and I get Fit thinks players in rounds 2-7 are basically similar but holy fug there was a ton of line talent just sitting there in the mid to late 2nd.  Instead of moving down I would have used 39 on the line and then moved back up to get someone like Humphrey that fell. 

 

I guess time will tell but after sleeping on it and looking at the rounds selection it looks like we just tried to get cute and missed out on some talent.  I mean a wr that doesnt have high end speed and gets hurt a lot and a tight end that doesnt catch? 

Fans like trades up because they get obsessed with names, but teams shouldn’t get obsessed with names. Good teams trade up very sparingly. The trades down were masterful. No one would have had a problem with Terrace Marshall’s value at 39. To get him at 59 with two moves down was A+ value, and then Carolina fleeced the Texans too to top it off.

  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It's hard to take you seriously when you don't know what your talking about.  

Are you saying the WR isnt fast and doest get hurt or are you saying that Tremble has good hands?  Work with me here

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Fans like trades up because they get obsessed with names, but teams shouldn’t get obsessed with names. Good teams trade up very sparingly. The trades down were masterful. No one would have had a problem with Terrace Marshall’s value at 39. To get him at 59 with two moves down was A+ value, and then Carolina fleeced the Texans too to top it off.

He seems like a risky pick based on injury and lack of athleticism and shaky hands.  I dont think we are in a position as a franchise to being picking risks in the 2nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The way personnel people see it, a three this year equates to a two next year, then we picked up a four next year, so basically the Same Darnold trade is paid off." - Matt Rhule at the Day 2 press conference

All that maneuvering just so we can say that we got Sam Darnold for 'nothing'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...