• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Study: GREAT FIT: Why Sam Darnold will be a great Quarterback for the Carolina Panthers.

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The second rounder will only be relevant if he is a disaster. Other than that, he'll just be an over drafted backup QB taken in the 2nd. 

I agree on taking Fields, although I can understand their apprehension if they didn't like the evaluation on him. Time will tell if that is correct or not.

It would be nice for this all to work out. Getting a franchise QB that cheaply would be fantastic. There just aren't many stories of a bust QB turning into an elite QB in NFL history. 

He doesn't have to be elite, he just has to not be bad ( or timid like Teddy) or turn the ball over a lot which puts in a position to not be able to recover.  He just has to be good enough to help us win.  That's the bar set for him.  Anything better is a bonus.

If our oline is just average and if Sam is just average and effective then I think we cakewalk to the playoffs.

I say this every year but I truly think Tom Brady falls completely off the earth this year.  I mean it has to happen.  It will happen and this is the year.  The Saints aint winning with Winston or the swiss army knife.  Our biggest competition for the division is ATL.  Their offense is going to be sick.  No two ways around it.   We will be in two shoot outs with them and I suspect the last one at the end of the year will be for all the marbles. 

I think it's hilarious to see folks ready to string Darnold up after his first incomplete pass or interception.  Like @rayzor said, he's basically a more advanced rookie, and should be held to a similar level of patience.  That's why we picked up the 5th year, in my opinion.

I'd love it if he "hit" here and we were able to finally have the answer to our QB-post Cam question.  But if he doesn't, I'm sure Fit and Rhule will be looking for a QB until they find one.  That's the nature of the NFL.  As we also saw with the Chiefs, it doesn't matter what your record is, you can trade up in the draft for a guy you think is your franchise QB.

Again, I hoping that this is the reset he needs, and I think Rhule knows what needs to be done.  At this point in the offseason, let's all have some hope.  We have time for crushing reality later this year!

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Ok so he HAS been in the league 3 years, so he should have an advantage over any rookie. I get we treat him like a rookie, but I also don’t think he will be a 3 year project like some of these rookies will. When the year is over we should have an idea if he will work in our system or not. I think that seems more than fair. I’m not saying he has to even take us to the playoffs, just show he is getting better by year end and look better than he did on the Jets by a decent margin. Speaking of Jets, who in the hell is their C and how does he have a job in the NFL. Those highlights were awful blocking....

58 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If our oline is just average and if Sam is just average and effective then I think we cakewalk to the playoffs.

Ah that May optimism on the huddle.

According to Rhule Sam is getting a Mulligan for his time with the Jets.  He basically wants Sam to forget everything he learned with the Jets. 

It a new dawn,

it's a new day

and it feels good.

• Pie 5
1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Ah another wet blanket 

You care to elaborate? Hey I'm taking a wait and see optimistic approach too but cakewalk to the playoffs? I need to see camp and the rooks first at least.

• Pie 1
1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

He doesn't have to be elite, he just has to not be bad ( or timid like Teddy) or turn the ball over a lot which puts in a position to not be able to recover.  He just has to be good enough to help us win.  That's the bar set for him.  Anything better is a bonus.

Well, mediocre is probably ultimately not worth trading for either. He doesn't have to be elite but he does need to be good for that trade to make sense.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

If he is going to be judged against rookies of this draft, them he needs to be given the same leeway an actual rookie would.

Expect mistakes early on, but also expect growth and steady improvement.

You won't be able to see the finished product after 2 games anymore than you would any other kid his age.

Give him the season and the benefit of the doubt.

Let this staff work with him to help overcome what 3 years of the worst coaching in the league would have done to basically the youngest kid to start at QB in week 1 ever.

He's sure to have issues and bad habits/mindsets to overcome as a result of what happened with the jets, but he's also young and smart enough to have those things coached out throughout the season.

Mistakes will be made, that's guaranteed. The real test is will he be repeating those mistakes or will he be learning from them and correcting them?

Some issues you don't know exist until you see them happen. It's those moments that real growth can happen as you identify what the real problem is in real time and address it. That's what I want to see.

I want to see if the mistakes he makes early on are improved as the season goes on. It may be painful, but any kind of growth can be. Have some faith and let it happen.

If, at the end of the season, he is still mistake prone and looks like garbage, then congrats to all of you guys who "know" he's garbage. You've got a gold star...just kidding, you get nothing.

Meanwhile the team will move on and then find another QB to put into what will have become an even more ideal situation to succeed in. 

But if he gets better and helps us start winning games then we've found ourselves a QB and we all win.

Yeah, that's ultimately the problem with believing he isn't going to improve(which I don't), there isn't a win.

You just look at the result and say, "Panthers gonna Panther" and then facepalm. Not fun.

• Pie 1
7 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

During Week 16 against the Green Bay Packers, Darnold finished with 341 passing yards and three touchdowns. Marred by 16 penalties, the Jets squandered a 15-point lead and lost 44–38 in overtime.[47] During Week 17 against the New England Patriots, Darnold finished with 167 passing yards as the Jets lost 38–3 in the regular-season finale. (reference)

How he perform after this game though?

Oh, that's right Coach Belichick watches film too.

Last game of that year, Sam looked lost.

Came back the year after ok but sick, missed a couple games, then guess what, that's right, Coach Belichick had the boy seeing Ghosts....

There was potential, WAS, until Belichick showed the blueprint on how to dismantle Sam.

Hey, if he proves me wrong, my team makes the playoffs.(1st year PSL owner:) I'll admit it if I'm wrong, hell, I'll buy a Darnold jersey and put 's B***h because that's what you do when you make a mistake.

How many excuses are there going be when Sam fails though???

There is not blueprint on how to dismantle a player in the nfl only a team and the Pats are masters of that. We still all can agree Darnald didn't have much help with the jets and their a poo organization.

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

Biggest thing I took from this is just how awful that jets offense looks, good god

Sorry I saw your picture and just wanted to say me and the wife have been binge watching that show...lol