• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OTA Matchups to Watch

1. D.J. Moore vs. Jaycee Horn

The Carolina Panthers got their man by taking Jaycee Horn at No. 8 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft. The cornerback was reportedly top of their big board and Matt Rhule called the South Carolina product the night before to say they would be taking him if available at this stage.

Now that Horn is on the roster, it’s important to get him as much experience as possible to avoid the complications that rookie corners normally go through in the NFL. Fortunately for the Panthers, they have an abundance of talent at wide receiver to put against their latest first-round recruit, so expect to see D.J. Moore lining up opposite him plenty during OTAs.

Moore is one of the league’s best young wideouts, even though he didn’t make the top-32 rankings published by Pro Football Focus. He’s recorded back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons despite less than stellar quarterback play and his matchup with Horn could be mutually beneficial during OTAs and beyond.

2. Brian Burns vs. Brady Christensen

If the Carolina Panthers want to find out just how good Brady Christensen is, they’ll have the perfect chance to do it at OTAs. The BYU prospect is clearly highly thought of by those in power within the organization, but there is no margin for error if the player wants to assume command of the left tackle spot for their Week 1 encounter against the New York Jets.

The Panthers used Christensen in multiple positions during rookie minicamp to get a broader indication of where he’d be best suited in the pros. However, it would be a big surprise if they didn’t give him a shot at being a productive blindside protector considering how well he manned this position in college.

Putting him against Brian Burns might be a baptism of fire for the rookie. But it will help Carolina in their decision-making process.

The edge rusher is poised for great things in 2021 with more in the way of talent around him. Burns possesses explosiveness that is hard to find and Christensen will need every tool in his arsenal to hold his own against such a disruptive figure in opposing backfields.

There is more pressure on Christensen than most heading into his rookie campaign. He will be 25 years old just a couple of weeks into the season, which only increases expectations even though he has no experience in a professional environment.

3. DaQuan Jones vs. Pat Elflein

DaQuan Jones might be been a late arrival to the Carolina Panthers in free agency. But this was an area of significant need and could see the defensive tackle become the starter alongside Derrick Brown on the defensive line interior.

Jones made a solid impression with the Tennessee Titans in 2020 and it was a surprise they didn’t offer him an extension. However, this should benefit the Panthers enormously providing he can enter a different environment with a chip on his shoulder.

It remains to be seen just who is going to be starting at the guard positions in 2021. Carolina brought in plenty of new faces who will all fight it out for spots on the depth chart, with Pat Elflein having more in the way of pressure on his shoulders than most.

The former Ohio State standout has been lackluster at best over the last two years with the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets. So his arrival early in free agency wasn’t exactly met with a positive reaction from Carolina’s loyal fanbase who were hoping for someone a little more reliable.

Elflein does have the versatility the Panthers clearly love. But how he performs during OTAs and training camp will ultimately define what role he will play in 2021.

Performing well against Jones or possibly even Brown will be a strong start for Elflein. But just how much his confidence has been knocked in recent seasons is another matter entirely.

4. Sam Darnold vs. Jeremy Chinn

The stakes could not be higher for Sam Darnold in 2021. His trade to the Carolina Panthers gives the quarterback an opportunity to prove beyond all doubt that he was a victim of circumstance with the New York Jets, but he’ll need to hit the ground running during what looks to be a good opportunity to get some early wins on the board.

Darnold has to stamp his authority from the outset at OTAs. There will be plenty scrutinizing his every throw, so providing consistency and authority under center is something that will stand him in tremendous stead moving forward.

One player he’ll have to account for on every snap is Jeremy Chinn. The stud defender is set to revert back to his preferred position of safety after a sensational rookie campaign at outside linebacker, which should provide more athleticism to the backend after Tre Boston and Juston Burris failed to meet expectations last season.

Chinn is a threat to make plays all over the field, so Darnold will find out quickly just how fast his reactions are. There is an incredible amount of talent in the passing game for the signal-caller to utilize, although much will also depend on how his protection holds out.

Link: https://catcrave.com/2021/05/24/carolina-panthers-4-individual-matchups-otas-2021/4/

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We have prior for putting our LT elect up against a premium edge rusher in camp to get him ready.  If Burns vs Christiansen turns out as well as Peppers vs Gross did, we are in great shape for the coming season.

Iron sharpens iron

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

That's a lot of man slamming into each other.

Need to get the seismographs ready in Charlotte 

edit- really excited to see DJ go against Jaycee.  Well, “see” in a proverbial sense I guess.  Burns will probably shred Christensen but I think he’ll turn out well if he can rebound.  Really happy with all the young talent this team has. Not too long ago we were the Graybeards of the NFL, old vets everywhere.  

Edited by PandaMan
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Can you explain (if possible) The FS/SS responsibilities in our defense?  Are they interchangeable?  I can’t figure out why they want Chinn at FS.  Traditionally the FS is the center fielder/ball hawk, no?  

I think the importance of FS depends on the exact defensive package the team is using. Last year we didn't run a lot of sets with a true Centerfield FS, whose responsibility was the back end sideline to sideline. We used a lot of zone with split safeties (Two guys each covering their side of the field). With the addition of Jaycee Horn and others the team is looking to move away from soft zone coverages more often and play more press man coverages. In many (but not all) defensive sets that use man coverage you often would use the traditional FS as the deep centerfielder- so that's why some people are concerned. I think Chinn will be used in that role but how much we really don't know. It could depend on how good our corners handle the press man coverage responsibilities. It may be something we use primarily on 3rd down depending on distance and Chinn would be in the box on 1st and 2nd. Who knows? I don't, hopefully the team will put something together that works well.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Michael G said:

I think the importance of FS depends on the exact defensive package the team is using. Last year we didn't run a lot of sets with a true Centerfield FS, whose responsibility was the back end sideline to sideline. We used a lot of zone with split safeties (Two guys each covering their side of the field). With the addition of Jaycee Horn and others the team is looking to move away from soft zone coverages more often and play more press man coverages. In many (but not all) defensive sets that use man coverage you often would use the traditional FS as the deep centerfielder- so that's why some people are concerned. I think Chinn will be used in that role but how much we really don't know. It could depend on how good our corners handle the press man coverage responsibilities. It may be something we use primarily on 3rd down depending on distance and Chinn would be in the box on 1st and 2nd. Who knows? I don't, hopefully the team will put something together that works well.

Ok that helps.  Im stuck in the mindset of the Tampa-2.  I mean if Chinn can be Ed Reed then great but to me he feels more like Brian Dawkins.  (In my limited viewing)

Im with you tho, I don’t care as long as it works.

• Pie 1