• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen’s grade per the Panthers

ncfan

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I know Gettleman had some terrible decisions but I miss him a bit on the OL. 

Hell, I don't. He was a trainwreck at OT. Oher was a good FA signing and Moton was a good draft pick, but my god we were trash at OT for most of his tenure. He willingly planned to go into a season with Chandler and Bell starting at left and right tackle. Holy fug. That honestly may be the worst pair of starting OTs in NFL history that wasn't forced by a rash of injuries.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am guessing that means they didn't like any of the OT options in the draft, outside maybe Sewell. 

I do wonder why we chose him as opposed to getting a much more highly regarded OG in the 2nd. Perhaps they didn't have high grades on many OG's either.

This video helps a little bit.

Had we taken a high graded tackle at 39 we would have effectively given up: Terrace Marshal, Tommy Tremble, Chuba Hubbard, Davioyn Nixon and Keith Taylor.      So the question becomes, is the difference between Jenkins and Christensen equal to the value brought by those other guys because that is what we would have to give up to get him.

image.png.ff068a9093a178005ef3a2fccc231bb4.png

• Pie 7
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I am guessing that means they didn't like any of the OT options in the draft, outside maybe Sewell. 

I do wonder why we chose him as opposed to getting a much more highly regarded OG in the 2nd. Perhaps they didn't have high grades on many OG's either.

Noted that Rhule said "Sewell, because he's an LT" when he wrote his name on the board. He didn't throw in extra justification like that for the other names. Tells me they weren't in love with him but knew they had no choice if the top LT fell.

Edited by MechaZain

13 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

They were trying to maximize value across and irrespective of positions (BPA).

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I may have misread this, you may be referring to the Marshall pick, not the 39 pick.  

I guess they saw a drop off in skill after the first round and felt Christenson with a near perfect RAS score and highest pff in the draft was rated too low because of his age and wingspan...he was the one they wanted and they felt confident he would fall later....and he did...just not as far as they thought so they traded up to get him.

• Pie 1

image.png

What Could Have Been? What we would have given up and gotten is simply conjecture at this point. The Team put this stuff out to justify their choices and maybe help us understand a little bit of what was going on. There is no telling what other deals could have been made at any other point including trading back from #8, but nearly any different choices during the draft would have changed everything after it. 

It is what it is. Lets roll with it and Keep Pounding!

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I may have misread this, you may be referring to the Marshall pick, not the 39 pick.  

I guess they saw a drop off in skill after the first round and felt Christenson with a near perfect RAS score and highest pff in the draft was rated too low because of his age and wingspan...he was the one they wanted and they felt confident he would fall later....and he did...just not as far as they thought so they traded up to get him.

No, I actually meant just not trade down and have your pick of the OG's in the draft at 39. But, I think they had a board that probably was an outlier in the league, so that is why we did what we did.

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

image.png

What Could Have Been? What we would have given up and gotten is simply conjecture at this point. The Team put this stuff out to justify their choices and maybe help us understand a little bit of what was going on. There is no telling what other deals could have been made at any other point including trading back from #8, but nearly any different choices during the draft would have changed everything after it. 

It is what it is. Lets roll with it and Keep Pounding!

Yes and no.  Its true that it is conjecture to discuss draft/trading scenarios.    But to get additional picks, you have to trade down which means passing on good players.  

We traded up to get Little in the second.  So far we're looking at a potential bust.    What would have happened if we traded down and grabbed 1-3 extra guys.  Sure some of those would be busts, but maybe one wouldn't...and that is the game we're playing...throw more darts.

BTW...I didn't realize this video was from the team.  I thought it was just some fan.  I don't agree with everything in it, but it does help to ballpark what we did.   I didn't understand and thought it was stupid to keep trading down for crappier players which is why I searched for something to help me understand, and this helped me.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

BTW...I didn't realize this video was from the team.  I thought it was just some fan.

Its not from the team actually (I was referring to the Camp Confidential info). The video and diagram was put together by an independent website that does stuff related to the NFL draft in general not just the Panthers(but it seems to mirror the info gleaned from camp confidential). Sorry about the confusion I should have been more specific.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yes and no.  Its true that it is conjecture to discuss draft/trading scenarios.    But to get additional picks, you have to trade down which means passing on good players.  

We traded up to get Little in the second.  So far we're looking at a potential bust.    What would have happened if we traded down and grabbed 1-3 extra guys.  Sure some of those would be busts, but maybe one wouldn't...and that is the game we're playing...throw more darts.

BTW...I didn't realize this video was from the team.  I thought it was just some fan.  I don't agree with everything in it, but it does help to ballpark what we did.   I didn't understand and thought it was stupid to keep trading down for crappier players which is why I searched for something to help me understand, and this helped me.

"Crappier players..."?

Everything is not so cut-and-dried in the NFL. Some of these players will likely outplay those whose career begins with greater expectations.

• Pie 1