• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jets vs. Panthers vs. Jags

onmyown

Since 1995:

Jets (vs. the GOAT QB in his prime)

Season Record: 183-233 (mid bottom tier)

Post Season Appearances: 7

Championship Appearances: 2

Super Bowl Appearances: 0

Panthers:

Season Record: 200-215-1 (top bottom tier)

Post Season Appearances: 8

Championship Appearances: 4

Super Bowl Appearances: 2

Jaguars:

Season Record: 177-239 (mid bottom tier)

Post Season Appearances: 7

Championship Appearances: 3

Super Bowl Appearances: 0

Seems we really hold those SB loses in high regard compared to a conference loss. There are only 2 maybe 3 more teams more similar in these records, to the Panthers, than the Jets.

And 3 maybe 4 more than the Jags.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

I don’t even think the Lions have won a postseason game since we became a team.

this is also a nice reference.  Not your criteria though but it ranks teams by wins from 2000-2020.  Last 2 decades.   Carolina is at 18th place.  Not great.  Not the gutter though. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelistwire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-by-records-from-2000-2020-dallas-cowboys-new-england-patriots-green-bay-packers-pittsburgh-steelers-baltimore-ravens/amp/

• Pie 3

All this reminds me of a post I saw a few days ago.

The poster said something along the lines of how poorly then Panthers have historically been.

For a franchise as young as it is, I beg to differ.

Sure, there has been many down years, but for the most part, this has been a successful organization all things considered.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

All this reminds me of a post I saw a few days ago.

The poster said something along the lines of how poorly then Panthers have historically been.

For a franchise as young as it is, I beg to differ.

Sure, there has been many down years, but for the most part, this has been a successful organization all things considered.

It was me. We have had 7 total winning seasons in 27 seasons. Pretty sure no one would consider that successful.

Doesn't mean we haven't had successes but they are few and far between. Frankly, we are far closer to the bottom of the NFL in our existence than the top.

I always reiterate that when our fans get a little uppity about our place or why we don't get the benefit of the doubt nationally(although being a small market team has a lot to do with that, as well).

We are who we are. The challenge is to be better.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Our record over the last 20 years ranks us 18th out of 32 teams.  Given only 6 winning seasons in those 20 years, that doesn't scream successful to me.

By way of comparison, the Steelers have had 16 winning seasons out of the last 20.  The Ravens have had 15.  The Packers have 15.  The Seahawks have 15.  These are the sorts of things that represent the accomplishments of a SUCCESSFUL franchise. 

This is what I, as a Panthers fan, hope that my team aspires to be.  Losing seasons are an anomaly.  Something that we look at and go "Oh, that was kinda crap.  We need to be better next year".  And then we are.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It was me. We have had 7 total winning seasons in 27 seasons. Pretty sure no one would consider that successful.

Doesn't mean we haven't had successes but they are few and far between. Frankly, we are far closer to the bottom of the NFL in our existence than the top.

I always reiterate that when our fans get a little uppity about our place or why we don't get the benefit of the doubt nationally(although being a small market team has a lot to do with that, as well).

We are who we are. The challenge is to be better.

The difference between us and those with even lower win totals?

We don't usually completely bottom out.  We have had awful seasons that got us the no. 1 and 2 picks, but that is kinda rare in Panther land.  We like to win a few meaningful games here or there just for funsies.

End of the day we have had a poo ton more losing seasons than winning ones...not something to be proud of.

Good news?  Team seems to be trending upward.  So, may as well strap it on and enjoy the ride, cause it's a new one.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

The difference between us and those with even lower win totals?

We don't usually completely bottom out.  We have had awful seasons that got us the no. 1 and 2 picks, but that is kinda rare in Panther land.  We like to win a few meaningful games here or there just for funsies.

End of the day we have had a poo ton more losing seasons than winning ones...not something to be proud of.

Good news?  Team seems to be trending upward.  So, may as well strap it on and enjoy the ride, cause it's a new one.

Indeed, our lows have been as low as anyone's but they are luckily as rare as our Super Bowl appearances.

The lucky thing is actually that our youth as a franchise means our climb out of the cellar isn't that far.

Look at the history of the New Orleans Saints and their place on the all time lists for a good reference for how you can dig a whole that takes forever to to recover from.

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Our record over the last 20 years ranks us 18th out of 32 teams.  Given only 6 winning seasons in those 20 years, that doesn't scream successful to me.

It also points out to how hard it is to build a consistently successful NFL team and how those teams need to be set in amongst some really bad competition. There are just a handful of them and they continually put space in the wins/losses column between themselves and everyone else.

Just think of the Patriots. How many years, decades, have they been feasting off of the truly horrible teams in their division? The Colts did the same during the Manning years. The Packers have played in the second weakest division for two decades. 

The Panthers have been in a division with relative parity, where the last 20 years have them all close to an 8-8 average record. Similar situations can be seen in the NFCWest and AFCWest, and the NFCEast has been a paragon of parity for just lousy teams over that span.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is about on par with the "Sam Darnold is basically a rookie" stance.

It's not that hard to understand the difference between "Darnold is a rookie" and "the team is treating Darnold like a rookie".

(at least it shouldn't be)

And the notion that these two stances are comparable is goofy.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

I'm not sure what anyone is arguing, but I'm of the opinion on we don't get to call ourselves a young franchise anymore. Younger than most others, yes. Young, no.

We have had several different iterations and culture changes over the past few decades.We have not been a successful organization. More successful than some others, but not what I would call successful.

We have not ever had two consecutive winning seasons.

We have had 7 winning seasons in 27 years. Sorry, that's not success and if you consider that successful, you need to check your metrics and raise your standards.

We have a chance for a new start with a very young team and hopefully this is when we get it right. I feel like it could be.

But we have earned every bit of disrespect we receive. Based on our past and our (lack of) accomplishments, there is very little evidence that we can get it right, despite the new start. 

A new start matters only for us. In the eyes of everyone else, we're still the same old panthers. The burden of proof is on the panther's shoulders to prove we are not that team anymore.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm not sure what anyone is arguing, but I'm of the opinion on we don't get to call ourselves a young franchise anymore. Younger than most others, yes. Young, no.

We have had several different iterations and culture changes over the past few decades.We have not been a successful organization. More successful than some others, but not what I would call successful.

We have not ever had two consecutive winning seasons.

We have had 7 winning seasons in 27 years. Sorry, that's not success and if you consider that successful, you need to check your metrics and raise your standards.

We have a chance for a new start with a very young team and hopefully this is when we get it right. I feel like it could be.

But we have earned every bit of disrespect we receive. Based on our past and our (lack of) accomplishments, there is very little evidence that we can get it right, despite the new start. 

A new start matters only for us. In the eyes of everyone else, we're still the same old panthers. The burden of proof is on the panther's shoulders to prove we are not that team anymore.

Bingo. Our reputation around the league is what it is for a reason. It will stay that way until we change who we are as a franchise in terms of consistent success.

• Beer 2