• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Little you ask?

Zod

We've had the "try Little at guard" discussion before, and again I just don't see it.

After two years, the guy has barely been able to learn one position. I really don't see him learning a second role.

Throw in that guard in a WCO type zone blocking system is more cerebral than you might think.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

As crazy as this may sound:

A. This is the type of dude you cut then three years down the line he becomes Pro Bowl caliber out of nowhere. 

B. Givin Hurney's first round hit rate I find hard to believe he was actually trying to find a trade partner to get this guy. Luckily he didnt. Early returns are beyond poor but I guess he still has room to greatly improve.

C. If we cut him, he's going to the WFT. Zero doubt in my mind. 

D. If his primary problem is speed rushers, again couldn't we just begin transitioning him to LG instead of LT. I'd rather force that instead of forcing him on the blindside. 

E. Could be worse... actually would have bet money that he was 3rd string or below. Obviously they are mixing up the lineups to see what works. Thing is, I wouldn't even consider Little in the top 5 of possible options at left tackles on this team. 

F. I guarantee you Will Grier is dreading those preseason games. I kind of feel for him. To make matters worse, two of those teams we face are scheduled for joint practices. Weakness identified. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

We've had the "try Little at guard" discussion before, and again I just don't see it.

After two years, the guy has barely been able to learn one position. I really don't see him learning a second one.

Throw in that guard in a WCO type zone blocking system is more cerebral than you might think.

There's the answer I was looking for. 

4 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

There's the answer I was looking for. 

I spent a lot of time watching him last year.

On way too many plays, if somebody wasn't running right at him, he had absolutely no idea what to do. More than once I actually saw him throw up his hands like he was asking "Okay, what do I do now?"

It was like the old joke about a karate guy not knowing how to respond if somebody didn't attack him the same way they do it in class. He was clueless.

Don't know if it's lack of brain power, lack of work ethic or lack of whatever, but it's lack.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

With an extra 3rd to boot in a great IOL draft after losing Norwell and Kalil I’m back to back years.

I remember Hurney saying in his mid-draft presser that the first three picks had been need picks and he was going BPA from there on out.

Bottom line was no matter how you approached it, it just plain sucked.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

On way too many plays, if somebody wasn't running right at him, he had absolutely no idea what to do. More than once I actually saw him throw up his hands like he was asking "Okay, what do I do now?"

It was like the old joke about a karate guy not knowing how to respond if somebody didn't attack him the same way they do it in class. He was clueless.

Don't know if it's lack of brain power, lack of work ethic or lack of whatever, but it's lack.

Had to translate it using Google, but over here talking ice hockey or football/soccer talent we would say lack of game perception / game sense. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's just it, he's been damn near dominant since he first touched a football. 

High School: #1 rated Offensive lineman in the entire country. Under Armour, Max Prep and USA Today All American. #2 overall ranked football player. 5 star recruit. 

College: First team All-SEC, Countless 2nd Team All American accomplishments throughout his 3 years. 5 sacks allowed in well over 1,000 snaps.

NFL: ............... lol 

I understand the NFL is a faster, more physical and athletic situation but I dont even think I can recall seeing a flash of potential from Little. It's frustatrating to think about. Hopefully something clicks..and fast. 

I will say he isnt the first to excel at every level then bomb in the pro's but it sucks for us. We've wanted a left tackle since Gross retired and when finally picked one we got Little. <-- pun intended.

It could simply boil down to a lack of multiple things. 

Playbook grasp, mental elements, physical limitations, fear, not trusting his coaching, lack of film study etc..

• Pie 1