• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 2021 Carolina Panthers Fan Fest Thread

Zod

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

We overachieved as a defense losing Luke and Bradberry while going from bottom 2 to almost middle of the NFL. Our scoring went down from Kyle Allen. Mike Davis wasn’t an awful replacement and WR wise, Samuel stepped up in a huge way and Anderson added another 1000 yard WR. Teddy didn’t overachieve, the team overall did better than expected. Teddy had 15 TDs with DJ, Anderson and Samuel. A QB that overachieves throws 27-30+ with that corps. We had DJ and Anderson open repeatedly downfield for long plays/TDs every game. I don’t blame Brady or a shortened off-season because he schemed guys open a lot. DJ couldn’t have been more open for the probably game winner and an overachiever hits him and doesn’t blame the OC and also say he would have checked into a run.

I’ll never enjoy any aspect of Teddy’s season with us because it hurt our cap, comp picks and draft slots while we should have been fully rebuilding. I’m excited as hell to have Darnold knowing full well he could suck balls because he will attempt to overachieve whether he gets there or not. Teddy didn’t try hard enough to overachieve.

I agree with a lot in here, especially Teddy's costs on the cap, but there is a lot of conjecture in here that may or may not be true. 

As you say, forest and trees, the cap problem wasn't Teddy. It was Hurney.     With that in mind here is some more conjecture:

1)Teddy's contract played a big role in Hurney's firing.  This was the biggest fked up contract that Hurney created while Tepper was here.  Without Teddy as exhibit A, we might still be stuck with Hurney.  Hurney probably wanted to keep Teddy to save face.  After Hurney was gone, so was Teddy.

2)Kyle Allen went 5-7 in 2019,  Teddy was 4-11 last year.  We didn't beat a single winning team last year.  Our record would not have been much different.  The games we won because of D, we might have won with Allen, TB, or even PJ at QB.   Which of those 4 games did you say, wow, Teddy saved our ass in that one?

Are these points true?  We don't know.  Just as you don't know that Hurney would be gone or that we would have a worse record with Allen or PJ.  I liked Teddy, I hated his contract.  He made mistakes and I was hoping for more.   It is what it is.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

We overachieved as a defense losing Luke and Bradberry while going from bottom 2 to almost middle of the NFL. Our scoring went down from Kyle Allen. Mike Davis wasn’t an awful replacement and WR wise, Samuel stepped up in a huge way and Anderson added another 1000 yard WR. Teddy didn’t overachieve, the team overall did better than expected. Teddy had 15 TDs with DJ, Anderson and Samuel. A QB that overachieves throws 27-30+ with that corps. We had DJ and Anderson open repeatedly downfield for long plays/TDs every game. I don’t blame Brady or a shortened off-season because he schemed guys open a lot. DJ couldn’t have been more open for the probably game winner and an overachiever hits him and doesn’t blame the OC and also say he would have checked into a run.

I’ll never enjoy any aspect of Teddy’s season with us because it hurt our cap, comp picks and draft slots while we should have been fully rebuilding. I’m excited as hell to have Darnold knowing full well he could suck balls because he will attempt to overachieve whether he gets there or not. Teddy didn’t try hard enough to overachieve.

That is the one benefit of Darnold. He has been such a disaster as a QB in the NFL, that if he just stays the course, we probably end up with another top 8 pick. If he finally achieves the lofty potential that he was supposed to have, we don't have to worry about QB for a long time. I just don't see a "mediocre" scenario being nearly as likely. He's either going to be a huge disaster or a big success. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is the one benefit of Darnold. He has been such a disaster as a QB in the NFL, that if he just stays the course, we probably end up with another top 8 pick. If he finally achieves the lofty potential that he was supposed to have, we don't have to worry about QB for a long time. I just don't see a "mediocre" scenario being nearly as likely. He's either going to be a huge disaster or a big success. 

I wouldn’t count on it.

Defense could be too-10.  Easy schedule.

He could be average and we win 10 games. 

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Yep, Bayless is your usual TC hero at the moment.

If we carry 6 WRs on the roster that 6th guy has to be a STs ace.

People always say that but it’s really not true.  The 6th WR probably won’t be active on game day, a ST aces needs to be active.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:
5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Shi Smith is playing well--we could have 5 impact WRs on this team--and Omar Bayless could be the outlier--I am not 100% sold on him like others, but...

Yep, Bayless is your usual TC hero at the moment.

If we carry 6 WRs on the roster that 6th guy has to be a STs ace.

Moore, Anderson, Marshall, Moore, Smith, are locks IMO, in that order. The likes of Bayless and Zylstra might get bumped by Cannon at this point. He's been lighting it up in camp. WR, RB, returns, and gunner.

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

Shockey was on his last leg by the time he got here, and he was still pretty darn good. I still would take prime Olsen over prime Shockey, but barely.

Shockey was a more complete TE - but I'm old school, I like TEs that can block in-line. Shockey had a better career either way. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Just Googled him. Mike Craft became a HS coach at Phillip O Berry when he left the Panthers in 2018. He’s been a teacher and offensive coach at Rocky River HS since June 2019. 

Damn that's a career regression.